Block Change Request: Brick-colored slate

Elduwin

Skinchanger
Staff member
Request: Brick-colored slate

Request Type:
General Addition

Try to describe all workarounds and associated issues that make it necessary to add this block in your eyes.
Request the addition of a new set of slate block, with the color of our current brick bloc (orange).
This is to complete the tile colors we have (red/salmon-ish with LP, and brown) and would be used at OT, the Arbor, probably Lannisport (in a future redo) and potentially Dorne/Sunspear.

My request is mostly based on the need for southern reach (OT/Arbor), in order to break the monotony of the LP slates before starting the 2 server builds that would use it.

Types of evidence to support your request: Historical

Historical Evidence
Just to support the general use of tiles in the southern Reach, it wasn't as hard and costly as we generally claim on the server, and on the contrary was very spread to have tiles roofs around Mediterranean.
Hence the large use of the tiles planned for OT and the Arbor.

Last edited by a moderator:

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
I tried shifting the color of the LP slate to match that of small orange brick:

test.png

The color ends up being very similar to the LP slate (requiring only a +5 shift in the hue wheel, about the same darkness/saturation). It's not a super perceptible difference. I'm wondering if it would be better for your purposes for me to add slab/stairs/etc. of the small orange brick block, which would allow for a bit of textural variation between roof types as well.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Played around with this a bit in-game, a slightly lighter color than the one I posted above looks nice:

a97cb53dcb.png

Seems like a reasonable addition, since it shouldn't fit anywhere other than the currently WIP mediterranean-style projects (Arbor/Oldtown).

DutchGuard

Shadowbinder
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
The small brick block actually looks a bit like plain tiling, which would be a welcome addition. ZhhKe5rNXw5TcVCTkDRkgR.jpg

DutchGuard

Shadowbinder
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
I'd like to discuss a couple of things regarding our brick blocks, but I'll need a little time to find some proper reference first.

It's mainly focussed on getting the stones to more accurate proportions, but it might go hand in hand with the changes that are mentioned here.
We're going to be using IMPERIAL measurements I hope? None of that continental nonsense.

• Seriously?
Reactions: Iwan

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
I'm wondering if it would be better for your purposes for me to add slab/stairs/etc. of the small orange brick block, which would allow for a bit of textural variation between roof types as well.
In the interest of avoiding ambiguity down the line, I'd like to take a stab at making a tile roof with a slightly different design to the LP slate.

To me, the LP slate resembles this style of roofing. Which is called "Moench und Nonne" in German, or "Teja Arabe" in Spanish, or "Tuile Canal" in French. It consists of two u-shaped segments densly packed. If I understand it correctly it has evolved from the classical "Tuile Romaine" or "Tegula et Imbrice" which consists of a flat segment and a single u-shaped segment.

So I'd love to try making "Tuile Romaine" to break up the texture instead of using the small brick texture, just in case we want to give that an update as bricks later.

1280px-Marciana_Alta_-_Altstadtd%C3%A4cher_1.jpg

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
Alternatively we can change our slate block (or make a new one) that represents slate more clearly, since in my eyes our current blocks represent roof tiles more than they do slate, even in the differing colours we have.

Slate can be laid in several ways, such as rectengular slating, ardoise coquette, scaled slating and German slating. Most of these forms also exist with tiles (except German slating afaik).
1610957280393.png
1610957458426.png
1610957524661.png

Edit | These already exist in Thamus' texturepack
1610959495986.png

Last edited:

ContraBlonde

Bookbinder
To be honest I do not see the need to make a completely new texture for orange slate instead of just using the texture Emot made. The intended use of the orange slate, at least what I thought and then suggested to Eld was to make it match Mediterranean rooves in southern France and the Adriatic better than Lannisport slate does currently (in terms of color).
It also presents an issue as it would be the only slate texture with a pattern that is different from all other slates.

Attachments

• 6CAC5D70-C165-4670-896E-2F3EAE1C0B11.jpeg
    6CAC5D70-C165-4670-896E-2F3EAE1C0B11.jpeg
    402.9 KB · Views: 20
  • CA8C595A-4A3D-4553-89DD-B615283A230D.jpeg
    CA8C595A-4A3D-4553-89DD-B615283A230D.jpeg
    134.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 41AAA842-00F4-4D63-A17B-12A711BB8C0E.jpeg
    41AAA842-00F4-4D63-A17B-12A711BB8C0E.jpeg
    87.6 KB · Views: 18

Azulejo

Bloodmage
Staff member
I don't think they should be used ONLY in Southern Reach, quite a bit of cities and towns in Iberia use orangy slate. Some regions of Dorne could benefit from it too, specially around the South face of the Red Mountains and near red sand deserts, where mud and clay may be more reddish. It should be tested thought

InkedInked789px-España_y_Portugal_LI.jpg
Red: Orange and Reddish slate. Orange: Mostly orange slate. Blue: Blue slate. Brown: Brownish slate (Balearic Islands too)

Attachments

• 1200px-Evora_view.jpg
    1200px-Evora_view.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 23
  • P0520059-L.jpg
    P0520059-L.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 24
  • F01-Teruel-centro-histórico-Google-earth-2018-05-18.jpg
    F01-Teruel-centro-histórico-Google-earth-2018-05-18.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 24
  • albarracin.jpg
    albarracin.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 23
  • bigstock-albarracin-medieval-town-villa-123963020-1_1_621x621.jpeg
    bigstock-albarracin-medieval-town-villa-123963020-1_1_621x621.jpeg
    119.5 KB · Views: 24
  • CALATANAZOR.jpg
    CALATANAZOR.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 23
  • imagen_Soria_Rello.jpg
    imagen_Soria_Rello.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 22

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
I don't think they should be used ONLY in Southern Reach, quite a bit of cities and towns in Iberia use orangy slate. Some regions of Dorne could benefit from it too, specially around the South face of the Red Mountains and near red sand deserts, where mud and clay may be more reddish. It should be tested thought

View attachment 7412
Red: Orange and Reddish slate. Orange: Mostly orange slate. Blue: Blue slate. Brown: Brownish slate (Balearic Islands too)
Thanks for the example pics! You have successfully and inadvertently convinced me that we need better random CTM on those tiles. I'll make some designs later!