Mid Block Change Request: Additional roof tiles

Request: Additional roof tiles

Request Type: General Addition

Try to describe all workarounds and associated issues that make it necessary to add this block in your eyes.
Hey everyone,

I would like to request some additional roof tile blocks that would come in handy for Oldtown and the more southern regions of Westeros. Weather, climate, age... all have different effects on roof tiles. The sun can bleach tiles to become lighter, moss and other growth can make them appear darker. I would like to add additional tile blocks so we would be able to make more detailed roofs that can imitate these effects and create more immersive and visually rich locations. Currently, we already use the red-orange and orange tiles to create gradients. I would like to open this up to a broader range of tiles.

We put so much effort into gradienting our facades, but if we are honest when it comes down to shaders and screenshots, nearly 50% of what you see of the buildings are roofs. Why should we not put the same effort into the roofs as our facades?

In-game usage
  • Wyl and northern Dorne use brown tiles and only have one option to choose from. Adding additional brown tile(s) would help to diversify the roofs and make the skylines more appealing. This would also visually improve the
  • southern Reach and Stormlands. Oldtown is a city that will pretty much only use tiles. Because this will be such a common block, I would like to make them gradient-able and span a more extended palette. This way, the Oldtown roofs can have a more diverse and aged look, opposed to the current pristine look.

Proposed blocks

1. Light brown tiles (+ potential transition block from light brown tiles to orange tiles)

Age and growth often give orange tiles these more light brownish looks. I would like to imitate this at Oldtown. Ideally, the light brown version of the tile would have an alt version. This way, you can gradient fully light brown roofs similar to our current orange/red roofs. If possible, this alt block could blend into the orange block so that the light brown can also be used as patches on orange roofs.

22-10-6-Sos-LR-.jpg
picturesque-streets-small-town-ores-aragon-spain-skyline-medieval-buildings-cinco-villas-region-199612293.jpg

photocasemcgjsrpx3.jpg

2. sun bleached tiles

The sun can give roof tiles these very faint bleached looks. This could be an alt version to our current orange tiles.

burnt-color-sun-old-terracotta-260nw-592015337.jpg

barrel-roof-tiles-1.jpg

Finn01

Envoy

Azul made a similar post earlier last month.

Azul made a similar post earlier last month.
I'm not asking for an alt version to the brown tiles, but a broader palette of at least 3 extra blocks that would transition into the orange rather than the brown tiles.

Reactions: Margaery_Tyrell

Finn01

Envoy
I'm not asking for an alt version to the brown tiles, but a broader palette of at least 3 extra blocks that would transition into the orange rather than the brown tiles.
Think he is asking for extra blocks as well, posted his thread cuz it's a similar request

Last edited:

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
I'm considering a set of additions that unifies these two requests anyways (as well as the ornamental colors proposed here, though I'm still unsure about the multi-color patterns). Here's what I suggested in the texture team Discord:

1. The addition of a light/desturated brown tile, plus the following ornamental variants: blue-green, yellow, black, and white.

2. For every basic slate color we have currently, we add one or two transitionary colors between them. We already have one example with the "red-orange" slate, and Endy proposes adding one between brown and orange. Similar tiles would be added for the other basic colors.

3. Each slate color, including those above, gets two alternates -- one being a weathered/sun-bleached variant, and the other being a mossy variant. Ideally, these would be handled as toggleable blockstates, like the timber frames currently.