Block Change Request: 3D Paper

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Request: 3D Paper

Request Type: Change

Try to describe all current uses of the block you request to be changed. Do you foresee any issues/ problems that could result from changing the block?
3D objects give so much more character to a build than flat textures. Hence I've taken a stab at making 3D "paperwork" i.e. any paper related clutter.

The model I've made stay true to the original flat textures. however, I did take the liberty to add some variation (i.e. the inkwell, various 3D arrangements of scrolls).

f76613e842.jpg

Paper is pretty much used as paper everywhere. With the one exception of people cherry-picking the book tile out of the random selection of paper/ scroll type tiles. That is the only issue I foresee with this change.

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
I’m quite opposed to 3D models for paper. I think the paper block should stay flat so it looks like actual paper.
Just to be clear the individual sheets of paper are still flat in the suggestion above.

Anything that has some volume IRL though is 3D now like Scrolls and stacks of multiple sheets of paper; and there are things like inkpots and feathers.

Did you give it a try Jakethesnake8_8 before shooting it down?

Jakethesnake8_8

Firemage
Pronouns
he/him
No, but I've seen the images of a lot of these 3D models, and I associate that with Conquest. I don't like the idea of us having all these fancy 3D models, because it makes us more and more like Conquest. At that point we may as well just become a Conquest server. I think some of the models look bulky, which I'm not a fan of. I appreciate that you put time and effort into these textures dude, but please don't jump down my throat. I think you have the right idea, but I think the scaling makes it difficult to achieve in Minecraft.

Reactions: Guillaaard

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
I'm sorry if my direct questions seemed like I was angry at you. I'm not. I think your concerns are valid, especially the one that models often look bulky. This is a fact that I'm often grappling with too, and that I'm trying to counter by all the tricks and skills that I have available to me. Alas, the bulkiness is often a direct consequence of our resolution and thus inevitable. Something I found easier to get used to by exposing myself to it, and checking it out in context to my builds.

That's why it's important for me that the community at least tries my suggestions.

I may not be able to sway your opinion, but perhaps I can assure you that I don't intend to copy Conquest, merely that I strife for giving us a modern set of tools to build a richly detailed, realistic world. Conquest seems to have the same goal, but their methods and looks are somewhat different.