Azulejo's Dorne Repository

Azulejo

Royal Messenger
Marcas dornienses wide.jpg
Azulejo's Dorne Repository

Welcome everyone!

As many of you already know, I have quite a soft spot for Dorne. Thus, many of the ideas and propositons I make tend to be about this single region of Westeros. That's why I decided to create this thread: here I will be posting any inspiration or suggestions I find interesitg for the Undefeated Kingdom™, keeping them ordered under one spot, instead of flooding the Inspiration and Worldbuilding forum with lots of individual threads. This is not an individual effort, everyone is encouraged to interact, react and post here whatever they feel like, as feedback is the best way to create awesome projects. Hope this becomes an active and beloved part of Westeroscraft!
Azulejo
Post index
ADR 1: Glazed tiles and colored roofing in al-Ándalus and the Maghreb

Last edited:

Azulejo

Royal Messenger
ADR 1: Glazed tiles and colored roofing in al-Ándalus and the Maghreb
Tiles (tejas) were one of the most used roofing options in Moorish Iberia. The most common was the Monk and Nun style (known as teja árabe in Spanish, I know, shocking), which can be traced back before Romans expanded its use. Of course you won't spect a wealthy merchant, a high administration employee or a prestigious mosque to use the same tiles as a humble artisan or a peasant. That's where glazed roof tiles appear.

More prestigious buildings in al-Andalus tend to use glazed tiles to trim the angles of their roofs. The most common combination by far was an alternating design of white and green tiles.

copia telhado-octogonal-do-palácio-de-nasrid-alhambra-102294204.jpg
copia roof-detail-inside-alhambra-palace-23587222.jpgMCAD-Library_VisualHunt.jpg
Green and white glazed roof tiles in the Alhambra of Granada

The tradition continued way after the Christian kingdoms conquered all of the Muslim territories, carried on by muslims living under their rule (mudéjares).

IMG_20210119_153404.jpg
Roofs of the Palacio del Rey Don Pedro in the Reales Alcazáres of Seville

istockphoto-454324425-1024x1024.jpg
Various buidings in the Albayzín neighborhood in Granada

Not only the angles of the roofs where decorated with glazed tiles, some used them for bigger sections.

TEJADOS-GRANADA.jpg
Chruch in Granada.

istockphoto-1137529964-1024x1024.jpgpatio-principal-de-la-casa-de-pilatos-sevilla-en-espana-el-edificio-es-un-precioso-palacio-de-...jpg
Section of the roof of Casa de Pilatos, a palace in Seville from the XVI century that fuses mudéjar style with the Italian Renaissance

Continues on the next post...

Azulejo

Royal Messenger
Continues on the next post...
In the Maghreb glazed tiles were used to cover the whole of the roof, specially in green
p2738371940-4.jpg23970521-roof-of-the-university-of-al-karaouine-in-fez-morocco-which-is-the-oldest-continually...jpg
large_693202734703819-general_view..oof_Meknes.jpg
Various mosques in Fez and nearby towns

In game this style could be translated easily. Green and white trimmining, however, can look chunky. This is why it should be reserved to bigger buildings, so it doesn't overpower the rest of the roof. It shouldn't be hard, as is a style reserved preferably for important and grand buildings. I tried it in Vanilla MC, using quartz and dark prismarine.
Optimized-2021-01-30_21.30.23.jpg

AerioOndos

Sorcerer
This is looking brilliant, Azulejo. I was wondering myself about different tiles and possible painted bricks to distinguish Dornish builds from the Westerlands just this morning and this is exactly it. Are you telepathic? :p

I do believe that image is of a Dornish army on the Dornish Marches, rather than in Dorne itself, if a caption on the wiki of ice and fire is correct. Still a relevant image, just making a note.

This is great stuff, thank you and if you need my post deleted for coherency of the thread, go for it

Azulejo

Royal Messenger
Azulejo. I was wondering myself about different tiles and possible painted bricks to distinguish Dornish builds from the Westerlands just this morning and this is exactly it. Are you telepathic? :p
Great minds think alike :D. One of the posts I'm plannig to make will feature two alternative palettes for Dorne aside the one we already have. I was thinking red sandstone/tapial and brick. I'll go deeper on this later, but red i think would be cool for southern Dorne, specially in the red sand deserts, while brick would be good for the rivers (Greenblood, Vaith and Scourge). In any case this regions would not affect finished projects, as to not outdate them. If you are looking for colored bricks as decoration, I suggest checking mudéjar art, as it features glazed bicks quite frequently.
calle-de-toledo.jpg3050f5ea0fbb90091ebee2cde26e6548.jpgiglesia-santa-marc3ada.jpg320px-Utebo_-_Torre_de_la_iglesia_Editada.jpgarte mudejar.jpg
Riverside cities like Toledo or Zaragoza feature many buildings made with bricks
visita-guiada-banos-encina.jpgBeautiful-Decorations-in-the-Streets-of-Marrakech.jpgMarrakech-Morocco-Things-to-Do-Medina-Narrow-Streets-Door-Cat.jpg138021.jpgalbarracin.jpg
Tapial is a construction technique that uses compacted clay soil for building up walls. Red sandstone would be abundant in regions where this rock dominates
My aproach to this two alterntive styles was quite similar to the one you pointed out: finding unique features for the region that could differentiate Dorne from the rest of Westeros, specially the Westerlands (which already has colored plasters, red brick, brick and wattle and daub and wattle).

I do believe that image is of a Dornish army on the Dornish Marches, rather than in Dorne itself, if a caption on the wiki of ice and fire is correct. Still a relevant image, just making a note.
It is, indeed. I used it because I really like it, and although it represents the Marches, it does resemble quite well what I image Eastern Dorne would look like (less grassy though), which is said to be dry and with stony soil ill-suited for ariculture.
Most of Dorne south of the Red Mountains is an arid wasteland. Eastern Dorne largely consists of dry, stony soil ill-suited for agriculture, while western Dorne contains deserts of red and white sand.
World of Ice and Fire via AWOIAF

if you need my post deleted for coherency of the thread, go for it
There's not need to! Comments and feedback, as I said before, is encouraged and well received. I link the posts in the first one so people can navigate easily, and discussion can take place without fear of burying the info I/other people post.

Azulejo

Royal Messenger
Thank you! I'm glad it shows! To be fair this isn't super hard for me, as al-Ándalus is what as an Historian I would like to study/investgate/teach in the future, and I have many sources accumulated over the years. It also helps a lot that this is part of my culture, even though I'm from the region that traditionally wans't conquered *coughs*, and far away from any remarkable remains from Muslim Iberia, excluding defense systems and such. Put me in Northern Europe and I will strugle XD. Until I started studiying more deeply European history, complex wattle and daub was almost fantasy to me.