Completed Application for House Hamell

Hi zanji.

I think that you should maybe look to make the style more transitional. Silverhill is inspired by Avignon which has elements of French and Italian whereas your app is mainly Italian and would maybe fit more in costal or central parts of the WL.

Right now I think it clashes a lot with Varner and neighbouring Reach ones.

Maybe look at Plumm which is a great transition castle between the Reach and Western lands style.

It's nonetheless nice to see you apply for this project and hope to see it started soon!

Last edited:

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
I agree with Nuggs that this application might (in its current state) better fit a house in the coastal or central parts of the Westerlands, such as Garner, Doggett, or Kyndall, to name a few.

Reactions: DjTorec

Jakethesnake8_8

Firemage
Pronouns
he/him
Hi zanji.

I think that you should maybe look to make the style more transitional. Silverhill is inspired by Avignon which has elements of French and Italian whereas your app is mainly Italian and would maybe fit more in costal or central parts of the WL.

Right now I think it clashes a lot with Varner and neighbouring Reach ones.

Maybe look at Plumm which is a great transition castle between the Reach and Western lands style.

It's nonetheless nice to see you apply for this project and hope to see it started soon!
As lemon said, I changed the houses a bit to be more reach-y. Mainly the 2 stories high ones.

View attachment 10181

View attachment 10182
When I decide to come on, I can work on making the north-western areas of Varner be a little more Westerlands-y if that helps create a more smooth transition.

Looking at some places in south-eastern France, I'm thinking using Lacoste, and Avignon, Gordes, and a town called Saint-Cirq-Lapopie. Some of these may serve better for Hamell, like Gordes for example.

Last edited:

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
I agree with Nuggs that this application might (in its current state) better fit a house in the coastal or central parts of the Westerlands, such as Garner, Doggett, or Kyndall, to name a few.
Considering Doggett, Bettley and Kyndall are part of a salient into to the Riverlands I don't think an Italian style would fit that part of the Westerlands.

As for the location of this application, I think it would be a nice fit for Garner or Greenfield.

zanji

Herald
I have made another house design that might fit well in the more southern regions of the project. But since it has a different palette than the castle I wouldn't put them too close to it.

2021-08-02_15.19.42.png

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
Considering Doggett, Bettley and Kyndall are part of a salient into to the Riverlands I don't think an Italian style would fit that part of the Westerlands.

As for the location of this application, I think it would be a nice fit for Garner or Greenfield.

That area has a natural mountain border separating it from the Riverlands. A northern Italian/Swiss style would work well to transition. Also keep in mind that Banefort is on the northern coast as well and is very Italianate.

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
The mountain border isn't that steep between the current blackwood vale and Bettley/Kyndall/Doggett and more so the border is formed by the streams of Eagles Claw.

EStoop, couldn't an italianate then slowly more swiss influenced style work for that northern coast, before eventually becoming more Germanic near the riverlands work?

I'd like to see some more variation of house style if it is to be northern coast or southern westerlands as currently it seems too much like the Central Westerlands Megabuild to me. There's a lot of potential with the westerlands palette, you can experiment more with shape and form of structures though. Maybe think in terms of evolution to a building like extensions, staircases, dormers and covered balconies.

zanji

Herald
The mountain border isn't that steep between the current blackwood vale and Bettley/Kyndall/Doggett and more so the border is formed by the streams of Eagles Claw.

EStoop, couldn't an italianate then slowly more swiss influenced style work for that northern coast, before eventually becoming more Germanic near the riverlands work?

I'd like to see some more variation of house style if it is to be northern coast or southern westerlands as currently it seems too much like the Central Westerlands Megabuild to me. There's a lot of potential with the westerlands palette, you can experiment more with shape and form of structures though. Maybe think in terms of evolution to a building like extensions, staircases, dormers and covered balconies.
2021-08-06_15.38.06.png

2021-08-06_15.42.19.png

Maybe like this? Even though I'm not sure if the roof would fit the region.

Last edited:

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
I also like the new tests.

However, I don't see much in the way of hills in your plan, which looks to me like its relatively flat with those straight roads. Are these going along ridgelines? I mention this because Varner to the south is getting a few steeper hills in its western corner and Hamell could continue that.

Reactions: Wazgamer

zanji

Herald
I also like the new tests.

However, I don't see much in the way of hills in your plan, which looks to me like its relatively flat with those straight roads. Are these going along ridgelines? I mention this because Varner to the south is getting a few steeper hills in its western corner and Hamell could continue that.
Yes, I want to make the land hilly. The roads are straight in the plans because I don't know yet where exactly the hills will be so I left them straight for now and will later make them go through the "valleys" (I don't know how its called).

Reactions: AerioOndos

zanji

Herald
so i’m thinking have hill lines follow this diagram so it follows Varner’s hills as well. Perhaps have one of Varner’s rivers start in Hammel, and go through the two ridges I mapped out and flow through Varner. How does that sound?
View attachment 10380

Sounds good, even though the right ridge goes trough another project, so I'd have to move it a bit to the left.

Last edited: