Abandoned [APPEAL APPROVED] Project Application: Dreadfort by Banty & SMP

Howy

Royal Messenger
I find the textures a bit too macabre even for me. No face maybe?

Disagree entirely, if anything they need to be more noticeably human to prevent the textures being used at tanneries and out-dating other tanneries. This is the Dreadfort, not the Dorafort - macabre is best.

Face looks good, could do with variant faces so its not the same bearded man, but I don't want to put too much pressure to create too many textures. Maybe three variants - bearded(male) female and indiscernible (bald and without any facial hair).

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
This is the Dreadfort, not the Dorafort - macabre is best.

Though I see where we're coming from in regards of outdating stuff, I don't think we should overdread the Dreadfort (or any place for that matter) for the same reason we shouldn't make them too fairytale. It's fine to find some legitimately sick stuff in the dungeons, but I don't think the castle would be spreading evil all over the place. This is A World of Ice and Fire, not Dracula, Snowwhite or the Lord of the Rings.

That said, I think Banty and SMP have done an amazing job so far.

qBBQ

Street Preacher
Though I see where we're coming from in regards of outdating stuff, I don't think we should overdread the Dreadfort (or any place for that matter) for the same reason we shouldn't make them too fairytale. It's fine to find some legitimately sick stuff in the dungeons, but I don't think the castle would be spreading evil all over the place. This is A World of Ice and Fire, not Dracula, Snowwhite or the Lord of the Rings.

Dreadfort seems pretty evil to me. The AWOIAF describes it as follows:

AWOIAF said:
Its great hall is dim and smoky, with rows of torches grasped by skeletal human hands jutting from the walls.

The Dreadfort is ill omened, for it is said the Boltons keep torture chambers and a special room where they hang the flayed skins of their enemies, including several Kings in the North.

Also of note is how they use their dogs to hunt down peasant women.

Last edited:
Reactions: CashBanks

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
One thing to remember is that a lot of the perspective we get on the Dreadfort is through the perspective of Ramsay, who is known for being particularly demented (and is frequently hinted at having some sadist mental disorder or something). The other Boltons (Roose etc.) didn't really care much for Ramsay and his games, and his whole hunting game with his pet hounds was implied to be something which they merely tolerated, but didn't enjoy or engage in themselves.

So they probably flayed some people historically and used it as a strategic scare tactic (basically psychological warfare- imagine being a disobedient minor lord, and going into their hall and seeing skeleton hands/flayed skins on the wall) but they probably weren't all Ramsay-level sickos.

Howy

Royal Messenger

That said, I think Banty and SMP have done an amazing job so far.

We can control usage of textures. I'd rather that we didn't limit textures, but instead limited usage. Hey cool we have a Moondoor - maybe a bit fairytale? Doesn't seem to have been an issue, I don't see it used anywhere else. I.e. we can more effectively moderate the usage then not have the textures at all. My issue was that people are taking issue with macabre, when of all places the Dreadfort is macabre. Maybe not so publicly in view, but it is there and we should trust our builders to apply them effectively rather then having an embargo on anything the least bit 'macabre'.

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
A few more charming tests
CDqMUOS.png

Reactions: Elduwin and Howy

SMP

Faith Militant
I would avoid doing flayed heads. In the show we see a flayed man with his face intact. I suspect it's quite hard to flay someone's face, which is why it's an impressive feat of the Faceless Men. Also I don't think hair would remain very long.

I would also avoid the vague shapes. They would only revolutionize tanneries (we could just revolutionize tanneries), and their use in the Dreadfort wouldn't immediately make me think "HUMAN SKIN". That being said, the full body skin I recommended to you looks mad goofy so I don't know anymore. Looks like someone's fursuit.

We might need to bust out some actual concept art to figure out this room, but here are some ideas:
  1. Slab block for a stack of skins. Could put them in rows of storage to either side of the room.
  2. One big (flat) centerpiece (ala Mance's giant antlers block) for a human skin in an X position. Maybe even some kind of tableau that involves more than one skin being displayed. Would go at the far end of the room.
  3. Hanging skin cloaks. Probably clothes line type block w/ vert CTM, but maybe an X shape like meat for the extra volume. No head, obviously. Like a deflated human balloon.
  4. 2x2, 2x1, and 1x2 hanging skins. Both newer and decaying. Finding the right look and balance between "vague shape" and "just a foot" is a tough balance though. Maybe someone can provide some good examples here.
Historically (1000+ years ago), Boltons made cloaks and an entire god damn pavillion from skins. So the stitching together of skins is clearly something that happened. Maybe we could get some larger textures of skins stitched together.

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Dreadfort mini-app - River Mouth Ringfort + Hamlet

Plan is for a ruined ringfort, now watch tower with 7-8 houses. Residents are mostly sheep herders and fisherfolk
Ringfort test - it's mostly ruins now and they used the stone as bricks for the watchtower at some point and is now used as a sheep pen.

Houses will be the same style as at Dreadfort town with the sod roof.

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron
Plots available at /warp ramsaysmill

There are two floating examples of the the architecture of the village. If its marked with a low class block its available to build.

• Haha
Reactions: Adorkabley