Pronouns
he/him
What is your Minecraft username?
KDSteele98

What is your age?
21-24

In what country are you living?
Australia

Where did you first hear about WesterosCraft?
Youtube

What do you like the most about GoT/ASoIaF?
I love the sociological aspect of the series (i.e., the story follows a sociological issue instead of a single protagonist). So, every different aspect of this society has nuances in culture (e.g., different ways of thinking about the world, gods, royalty, etc.).

What is your favorite build on our server?
This might sound basic, but the Red Keep is amazing. I love the stonework on it and the height of the main keep. I got lost in the underground tunnels and catacombs which is how I like builds to be. Secondly, I love White Harbour and the New Castle due to the colour palette.

Why do you want to join our server?
Simply, I like to create builds that follow the rules of a specific time period. Whether it be a higher class or lower class building, I like to create according to the different sociological and geographical factors of the region. And I love game of thrones and the extended world. I hope one day I could help build Essos.

2022-08-04_14.12.25.png2022-08-04_14.10.42.png2022-08-04_14.10.09.png2022-08-04_14.09.53.png2022-08-04_14.43.18.png2022-08-04_14.43.25.png2022-08-04_14.43.32.png2022-08-04_14.44.21.png2022-08-04_14.49.19.png

Did you follow the application rules?
You know nothing, Jon Snow.

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hi Allisthegod,
Thanks for completing this application and great to see another Aussie interested in joining the team.

Nice work with replicating the application house, as I hope you can tell we try to put as much detail and signs of life as we can into our houses. Hopefully through this application process you'll see how this approach is carried across our different projects and styles.

You're off to a good start and I'm looking forward to seeing what you make next. For your first challenge build, please make a Low Class Farmer's house in the style of /warp tarbeck and share screenshots of it in this thread (an easy way to do it is upload them imgur.com and share the link). Take note of commonalities between the houses (block mix, shape of roof, size of house, interior blocks, attic spaces, mezzanine platforms) and make a house that would fit into the Tarbeck town. It would be great if you could add a yard to it too.

If you haven't already, you can take a look at the Basic Building Guide for some more tips.

Please take your time to study the style in detail, and make sure to ask if you have any questions on the above feedback or the Tarbeck style.

Good luck!

Reactions: Allisthegod

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Allisthegod, thanks for completing this Tarbeck house.

On the whole you've done a nice job, the shape, look and feel of the house is largely consistent with the Tarbeck style.

I'd only suggest a few changes to make it a little more consistent with how we normally build/furnish low class houses.
- We generally try to avoid this pizza hut style shape of roof, instead pitching the end brick wall up into a triangle shape

1660136924095.png
Like here for example
1660137211895.png
- I would also probably cut two or three of the storage barrels/pots, since peasants probably wouldn't have many possessions .

Otherwise I like all the small details you've added to the interior of the house and the yard and things like the well, trees and garden.

For your next challenge, please build a middle class professional house in the White Harbor style of /warp gullsgate (the general style in the sprawl outside the main city walls). Houses in large towns will usually have a profession on their on the ground floor and residence upstairs, take a look at the styleguide at the /warp oldstyleguides and the finished houses in the White Harbor area for inspiration, and give the house some kind of profession that would make sense in White Harbor (e.g. carpenter/cooper/blacksmith/boat builder, netmaker etc).

Note in the post which profession you go with.

Good luck!

Allisthegod

Messenger
Pronouns
he/him

On the whole you've done a nice job, the shape, look and feel of the house is largely consistent with the Tarbeck style.

I'd only suggest a few changes to make it a little more consistent with how we normally build/furnish low class houses.
- We generally try to avoid this pizza hut style shape of roof, instead pitching the end brick wall up into a triangle shape

View attachment 13250
Like here for example
View attachment 13252
- I would also probably cut two or three of the storage barrels/pots, since peasants probably wouldn't have many possessions .

Otherwise I like all the small details you've added to the interior of the house and the yard and things like the well, trees and garden.

For your next challenge, please build a middle class professional house in the White Harbor style of /warp gullsgate (the general style in the sprawl outside the main city walls). Houses in large towns will usually have a profession on their on the ground floor and residence upstairs, take a look at the styleguide at the /warp oldstyleguides and the finished houses in the White Harbor area for inspiration, and give the house some kind of profession that would make sense in White Harbor (e.g. carpenter/cooper/blacksmith/boat builder, netmaker etc).

Good luck!
Thanks for the tips and suggestions!! I will send through my next build soon :)

Allisthegod

Messenger
Pronouns
he/him

View attachment 13250
Like here for example
View attachment 13252

Good luck!

Hi! Here is my build in the White Harbour/Gullsgate style. The profession is Fishmongerer.

Here is the Imgur link:

THANKS!!!

Reactions: cryogenicfreeze

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Thanks Allisgood,

This White Harbor house is looking good, and you've made a fun design for the internal boat dock.

Just a few small notes:
- We try to avoid using trapdoors since they can opened/closed by guests. You can swap them with half-doors.
1660644219502.png

- We also try to add roof-rafters to the internal attic spaces of houses, using wooden stairs/half doors to conceal the roof tiles.
1660644524805.png
You can add spacing or fully cover them, e.g.
2022-08-16_20.10.49.png2022-08-16_20.10.54.png

For your next (and tentatively final) challenge, it would be great if you could build a middle class professional house in the style of /warp hgtown. As with the White Harbor house, it should have a profession on the ground floor and residence upstairs and you can chose a profession that would make sense around Highgarden/the Reach (e.g. carpenter/wine merchant/tailor/blacksmith) and a yard would be great as well. Take note of the shape of the roof and what kind of blocks would suit a middle class house (nothing too lavish).

Looking forward to seeing your work!

Allisthegod

Messenger
Pronouns
he/him
Thanks Allisgood,

This White Harbor house is looking good, and you've made a fun design for the internal boat dock.

Just a few small notes:
- We try to avoid using trapdoors since they can opened/closed by guests. You can swap them with half-doors.
View attachment 13325

- We also try to add roof-rafters to the internal attic spaces of houses, using wooden stairs/half doors to conceal the roof tiles.
View attachment 13326
You can add spacing or fully cover them, e.g.
View attachment 13327View attachment 13328

For your next (and tentatively final) challenge, it would be great if you could build a middle class professional house in the style of /warp hgtown. As with the White Harbor house, it should have a profession on the ground floor and residence upstairs and you can chose a profession that would make sense around Highgarden/the Reach (e.g. carpenter/wine merchant/tailor/blacksmith) and a yard would be great as well. Take note of the shape of the roof and what kind of blocks would suit a middle class house (nothing too lavish).

Looking forward to seeing your work!

Hi there!!

Here is my build in the style of Highgarden town. The profession is a tailor.

Here is the link:
Thanks!! :)

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Allisgood,
Thanks for finishing this HG house, it's looking very nice.

Just a couple of notes:
- with the roof edges, when using tiles we generally add wooden stairs/half doors beneath them instead of double layering the tiles.
1661253129466.png

Here's an example in HG town
2022-08-23_21.11.16.png
- No need for the chimney to be that high, should only be out 3-4 blocks above the wall it adjoins, and you can have it more built into the wall itself to reduce it's profile a bit. e.g:
2022-08-23_21.26.39.png

- The interior layout/details are looking good overall, I would just tone down the use of some of the more lavish blocks like the glass cabinets/bedside tables which make it look a little more high class than middle.
- This is a really cool use of item frames for the fabric rolls, I actually haven't seen that used before!
-1661254278360.png
- FYI we also avoid using armor stand blocks since they can bug up world edit, they do look good here though.

Otherwise I think at this point you'll learn more from being an actual builder, so consider yourself approved!

Please make sure to read the New Builder guide here: https://westeroscraft.com/wiki/guides/new-builders-guide

The next step is to make a probation thread in the Probation Forum. You can start building at any open locations on the server - you can find a list of these at /warp build, although it's sometimes outdated, so I would also recommend just asking people in-game and checking the forums for recent project happenings.

You can also toggle open plot markers on the dynmap mc.westeroscraft.com

A Probation leader should post on your thread within a week or so and continue to give you constructive feedback on your houses for the next month (and help be your entry point into the server community in general), although as sometimes the probie leaders are busy IRL you may need to be patient while they find the time to respond to you. But message me again if a probie leader hasn't contacted you within two weeks, or if they're taking a while to respond.

I would also encourage you to seek feedback from project leaders and other builders/mods. At the end, you'll be made full builder assuming everything goes smoothly.

I'd suggest you also start thinking about what projects you might like to work on, we encourage new builders to first work on "mini-projects" which are small one off areas of other projects, e.g. a hamlet, mill, quarry, and flagged as open for mini-apps by the project leader. Once you've done a few of these you'll be able to apply for a full project.

Make sure to stay in touch and let us know if you're losing interest, not finding enough work to do, or if there's any issues with the probation.

All the best and see you in Westeros!