A Stormlands Overhaul

Kor_Bro

Playwright
Sup!
Just to inform those interested - I'm cooking up a Stormlands Overhaul Proposal.

As I've been terraforming the northern parts of the Stormlands, the inconsistency and incoherency of the regions within the Stormlands, the canon inaccuracy and the overall feel, atmosphere, and the aesthetics of the place has gotten on my nerves for a while. And to be fair, it is in great need of an overhaul. From top to bottom.

My initial idea was just to propose a Northern Stormlands Megabuild, however seeing how the overall region could use some love (some parts are still pretty good though), and also being neck deep in the canon so that all the canon-inaccuracies jump right in my eyes, I plan on proposing my take on how we could improve the entire region as well.

This has led me to combing through every bit of canon there is on the stormlands, which I am now compiling into a big Mega-document, with everything we need to know in order to give this place the love it deserves.
Along with the the canon compilation I'll be compiling a proposal of ideas on how to match the canon description with real-life inspiration from a variety of areas that fit the different geographical descriptions of the Stormlands. Everything from the placement of Houses, to the rock-types from Massey's Hook to the Dornish Marches, to the vegetation of the Rainwood and the highlands of the Red Mountains, and the histories and tales that has shaped the landscape will be looked at, and everything in-between, while also considering what might be worth keeping, updating or completely redoing.
I'll also be proposing a few ideas and plans for how we could effectively carry out such an ambitious plan, so that we don't just turn the entire place into a big red sand-desert right away.

I feel like it is finally time to put some real energy into this place, which along with Dorne (Go Marge!) has been severely neglected for a long time. I don't think we should kick the can down the road anymore on the issues of the coherency of the region or the chocolate-brown terrainset anymore.

Now, I'd love any and all inputs from each and everyone of the community on how to do this effectively, or on any areas that are of particular issue to them or anything of special focus. All inputs and contributions are valued, and it will only get better the more people are involved.

This is a big task, but I'm feeling energized and motivated and I have the time to do it, so I thought why the hell not.

This was just a preliminary post to inform you of the work in progress. The document and full proposal is not done yet, but is well on it's way. And I'm looking forward to sharing it with you all. It is just a proposal, and nothing final, but I hope it's something that can open up for a debate and real and serious improvement of the overall Stormlands.

Feel free comment whatever your heart desires. I'll now withdraw to continue the writing.

Yours truly,
Kor_Bro

lemonbear

Nymeria
Hi Kor! This looks great so far. I'm going solely off of this post (so I could be off base from what your current plans are), but I think it might be a good idea to break up the overhaul into smaller regional megabuilds rather than do all of the Stormlands at once.

In that case, we probably would ask you to submit an official appeal following the No-Redo Rule for the projects you plan to include in each megabuild. I'm sure your longer document will include reasons for the overhaul, but it might be easier for you to also have a section tailored to our normal appeal process as well.

Kor_Bro

Playwright
Hi Kor! This looks great so far. I'm going solely off of this post (so I could be off base from what your current plans are), but I think it might be a good idea to break up the overhaul into smaller regional megabuilds rather than do all of the Stormlands at once.

In that case, we probably would ask you to submit an official appeal following the No-Redo Rule for the projects you plan to include in each megabuild. I'm sure your longer document will include reasons for the overhaul, but it might be easier for you to also have a section tailored to our normal appeal process as well.
Hey Lem! This is absolutely the plan. I’m still in the process of gathering all the information I need, so an overall plan is still to be devised. However, I Could imagine it being split into smaller regional megabuilds like: Northern Stormlands/the Hilly woodlands, Storm’s End + sprawl, The Rainwood, Lower Cape Wrath, Dornish Marches, Red Watch etc. Plans are still to come, but that is absolutely the idea.

I’ll be sure to follow the official appeal rules when that time comes and adhere to the normal process as well. :)))

AerioOndos

Sorcerer
Issue with the Marches is that we aren't really given a northern limit where they end. Its a grassland area that stretches from the most rainshadowed bit of the Stormlands (Nightsong) all the way to Cape Wrath (Stonehelm in the Red Watch and the Slayne river). Currently the big issue with the Stormlands is that our Red Mountains go too far to the north, ending at Bronzegate rather than at Griffin's Roost.

What I suggest for the Northern Border of the Marches with the Hilly Woodlands is to transition into mountains/hills like the Campsie Fells To then this for the Cape Wrath-mainland border with maybe the two tones of stormlands rock being used.
1617761819572.png

I've also been thinking for quite some time on the Overall style of the Stormlands. What I have been thinking is having some regional substyles. Marches = more flat rooves and uncovered towers, long corridors or series of yards/terraces to expose people entering to attack from defenders. Inspired by Castles on the French side of the Pyrenees and some looser inspiration from Silesian fortresses and the Eagle's Nests along the Polish border.
The rainwood looks lovely in terms of its current style.
Please comment on my ideas. What do you all think about these areas?

Kor_Bro

Playwright
I did a detailed breakdown of canon descriptions of the Rainwood when I was working on Mistwood. You can find it here. I think the finished builds and terrain in the Rainwood are pretty solid, but there are a number of areas that have been in progress for a while now that could use filling in.
Thank you for this, Loras. It will be very useful!

Reactions: Renly_Baratheon_

Kor_Bro

Playwright
Issue with the Marches is that we aren't really given a northern limit where they end. Its a grassland area that stretches from the most rainshadowed bit of the Stormlands (Nightsong) all the way to Cape Wrath (Stonehelm in the Red Watch and the Slayne river). Currently the big issue with the Stormlands is that our Red Mountains go too far to the north, ending at Bronzegate rather than at Griffin's Roost.

What I suggest for the Northern Border of the Marches with the Hilly Woodlands is to transition into mountains/hills like the Campsie Fells To then this for the Cape Wrath-mainland border with maybe the two tones of stormlands rock being used.

I've also been thinking for quite some time on the Overall style of the Stormlands. What I have been thinking is having some regional substyles. Marches = more flat rooves and uncovered towers, long corridors or series of yards/terraces to expose people entering to attack from defenders. Inspired by Castles on the French side of the Pyrenees and some looser inspiration from Silesian fortresses and the Eagle's Nests along the Polish border.
The rainwood looks lovely in terms of its current style.
Please comment on my ideas. What do you all think about these areas?
Hey man! Thanks for the ideas and comments. I’m working on a map to hopefully sort of the confusion that is the Dornish Marshes while remaining canonically correct. I’ll write you a proper response with some better answers tomorrow once the map is finished, until then, hang in there!

Reactions: IronGentleGiant

Auscarbone

Messenger
Thought I’d mention here that we don’t currently have a position for House Brownhill (added in Fire and Blood). It’s a minor house of landed knights located on Cape Wrath, with a castle described as “mud and tree roots” (so probs somewhere in the more dense regions of the Rainwood)

Note there is an extinct house in eastern Dorne of the same name. Could they be long-lost relations or are they both just located on a brownish hill? idk

AerioOndos

Sorcerer
I'd say its only a similar name, rather than relatives. The Dornish-Stormlander relationship isn't exactly a good one, the Yronwoods potentially claim a large chunk of the marches (They claim to be lords of an undefinited 'Red March' which sounds suspiciously like 'Red Watch') and there have been innumerable wars between the Dornish and Stormland Marcher lords.

AerioOndos

Sorcerer
Hey, I'm just going to jump in here and say that the hills south of Bronzegate and North of Griffins Roost should probably not go too close to the height limit and perhaps should stay around 150-170 blocks height so that they don't dwarf the Red Mountains to the south of them, as well as to create the feel of moving upwards towards said mountains

Kor_Bro

Playwright
Hey, I'm just going to jump in here and say that the hills south of Bronzegate and North of Griffins Roost should probably not go too close to the height limit and perhaps should stay around 150-170 blocks height so that they don't dwarf the Red Mountains to the south of them, as well as to create the feel of moving upwards towards said mountains
Absolutely! I plan on redoing the mountains I just created around Felwood too. They are too tall. I’ll present a plan for the northern stormlands before long.

Reactions: AerioOndos

Azulejo

Emissary
I'm not as aware as you seem to be about Stormlands' canon, but unless it goes against it a cool adition would be to implement more "rounded" mountains than the rest of Westeros, like the ones in Scotland or the Appalachians (which I think are covered in forest up until their peaks for the most part). It would definetly give a very specific personality to the region.​