Pronouns
she/her
What is your Minecraft username?
_Mayday__

What is your age?
17-20

In what country are you living?
United States

Where did you first hear about WesterosCraft?
From a friend

What do you like the most about GoT/ASoIaF?
My favorite part about Game of Thrones in general is the characters. George R. R. Martin does an incredible job of writing these very complex people into his world. The people are shown with both a good and bad (or just not-so-good) side. The men in the series can be strong and tough but also be so gentle and loving to the people they care for. The women can be very gentle, but stand up fiercely to protect their values and the people they hold dear, just as the men do. That balance shows the watchers and readers that it is ok to be a human, and not be 100% one personality all the time.

What is your favorite build on our server?
It is very hard to choose a favorite on the server, but Highgarden is the one I am most drawn too. The detail of the castle is spectacular, and the farms and homes around it are very well done, and overall give the land a cozy, warm feeling.

Why do you want to join our server?
I just recently got into watching Game of Thrones again, and when I found out about this server I knew I wanted to join it to play with other people who love this fantasy world as I do. When I found out I could possibly help build it, I knew I should at least apply. I've been building medieval things since I started playing Minecraft, starting with the Viking builds, and moving onto European medieval/dark age building. I am admittedly better at building smaller houses and landscaping than I am at large castles, but working with this new modpack, and all the blocks it adds would make a fun challenge for me to practice and get better. I follow instructions well and can take criticism. Anything someone tells me to do I will try my hardest to do well.

2022-10-05_13.04.13.png2022-10-05_13.04.20.png2022-10-05_13.04.40.png2022-10-05_13.04.44.png2022-10-05_13.12.13.png2022-10-05_13.14.44.png

Did you follow the application rules?
You know nothing, Jon Snow

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Mayday,
Thanks for completing this application and great to see you've done some exploring of our server already and you've got an interest in medieval history and architecture - you've come to the right place!

Nice work with replicating the application house, as I hope you can tell we try to put as much detail and signs of life as we can into our houses. Hopefully through this application process you'll see how this approach is carried across our different projects and styles.

You're off to a good start and I'm looking forward to seeing what you make next. For your first challenge build, please make a Low Class Farmer's house in the style of /warp tarbeck and share screenshots of it in this thread (an easy way to do it is upload them imgur.com and share the link). Take note of commonalities between the houses (block mix, shape of roof, size of house, interior blocks, attic spaces, mezzanine platforms) and make a house that would fit into the Tarbeck town. It would be great if you could add a yard to it too.

If you haven't already, you can take a look at the Basic Building Guide for some more tips.

Please take your time to study the style in detail, and make sure to ask if you have any questions on the above feedback or the Tarbeck style.

Good luck!

_Mayday__

Mummer
Pronouns
she/her
I will get on this as soon as I get back to my apartment! Thanks so much for this opportunity!

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Mayday, great work with this Tarbeck house.

On the whole you've done a nice job, the shape, look and feel of the house is largely consistent with the Tarbeck style.

My only suggestions would be to extend this mezzanine level a bit further so it has a clear connection to atleast three walls
1665445220446.png

Here's an example (they've also added some stairs to the edges to show some extra supports)
1665445180635.png

We also try to keep the brick wall layout of yards fairly straight/square (avoiding "bubble yards").

Otherwise I like all the small details you've added to the interior of the house and the yard and how you've used a variety of blocks for the crops.

For your next challenge, please build a middle class professional house in the White Harbor style of /warp gullsgate (the general style in the sprawl outside the main city walls). Houses in large towns will usually have a profession on their on the ground floor and residence upstairs, take a look at the styleguide at the /warp oldstyleguides and the finished houses in the White Harbor area for inspiration, and give the house some kind of profession that would make sense in White Harbor (e.g. carpenter/cooper/blacksmith/boat builder, netmaker etc).

Would be great if you noted in the post which profession you go with too.

Thanks again and good luck.

_Mayday__

Mummer
Pronouns
she/her
Thanks for the input! I will fix the house so I get used to building in this style more and get started on the new challenge as soon as I am able!
Best wishes to you.

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Mayday
Nice work with this White Harbor netmaker, you've definitely captured the overalllook and feel of the city and identified the blocks we used to built it. Nice work with the Tarbeck updates aswell.

My one small note is just on this cooking area here:
1665730055622.png
I reckon you could cut the half door sides and just have the rabbit/herbs hanging from the ceiling.
You could also then move to the benches up against the wall to plug that gap, or put in a stack of firewood/barrel to plug it. It's a small nitpick so don't sweat it!

For your next (and tentatively final) challenge, it would be great if you could build a middle class professional house in the style of /warp hgtown. As with the White Harbor house, it should have a profession on the ground floor and residence upstairs and you can chose a profession that would make sense around Highgarden/the Reach (e.g. carpenter/wine merchant/tailor/blacksmith) and a yard would be great as well. Take note of the shape of the roof and what kind of blocks would suit a middle class house (nothing too lavish).

Looking forward to seeing your work!

_Mayday__

Mummer
Pronouns
she/her
Alright! Thanks so much! I'll fix it and send the updated build when I get a chance and start on the Highgarden home as soon as I get the chance. Thanks so much!

_Mayday__

Mummer
Pronouns
she/her
The Highgarden Town profession home! I changed my skin to the one I usually use, it is still me in the photo. Please let me know if there is anything I need to change or fix! I chose the wine merchant profession.

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Mayday
Thanks for building this Highgarden style wine merchant. On the whole it's looking good, have just a couple of suggestions.

When using drawer/cabinet blocks, we try to make sure only one side of the cabinet is exposed (drawers wouldn't have multiple sides like that in real life). You can cover it up using a half door block.
1665923316217.png

It's also good to try and cover up the interior faces of roof tile blocks using a mix of wooden stairs/half doors.
1665923372728.png
Here's an example below. If you find that reduces the amount of attic space to work with, you can try shifting the roof up or lowering the floorboards.

2022-10-16_23.27.14.png

Just from a style perspective I'm thinking there might be a bit too much of the reach wood panelling block here. You can try swapping in some vertical oak plank blocks, see an example below which has a more even mix.
1665923620693.png
2022-10-16_23.37.39.png

See how you go with making those updates to the house and once all sorted you should be ready to join the team.

Thanks!

_Mayday__

Mummer
Pronouns
she/her
Thanks for the input! I will fix the house and upload the new photos as soon as I get back to my house!

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Thanks Mayday, great work.

I think at this point you'll learn more from being an actual builder, so consider yourself approved!

Please make sure to read the New Builder guide here: https://westeroscraft.com/wiki/guides/new-builders-guide

The next step is to make a probation thread in the Probation Forum. You can start building at any open locations on the server - you can find a list of these at /warp build, although it's sometimes outdated, so I would also recommend just asking people in-game and checking the forums for recent project happenings.

You can also toggle open plot markers on the dynmap mc.westeroscraft.com

A probie leader should post on your thread within a week or so and continue to give you constructive feedback on your houses for the next month (and help be your entry point into the server community in general), although as sometimes the probie leaders are busy IRL you may need to be patient while they find the time to respond to you. But message me again if a probie leader hasn't contacted you within two weeks, or if they're taking a while to respond.

I would also encourage you to seek feedback from project leaders and other builders/mods. At the end, you'll be made full builder assuming everything goes smoothly.

I'd suggest you also start thinking about what projects you might like to work on, we encourage new builders to first work on "mini-projects" which are small one off areas of other projects, e.g. a hamlet, mill, quarry, and flagged as open for mini-apps by the project leader. Once you've done a few of these you'll be able to apply for a full project.

Make sure to stay in touch and let us know if you're losing interest, not finding enough work to do, or if there's any issues with the probation.

See you in Westeros!

Reactions: DutchGuard

_Mayday__

Mummer
Pronouns
she/her
Thank you so much for you feedback and help! I cannot wait to contribute to this server, make new friends, and progress in something I enjoy doing!
Best wishes to you.

Reactions: DutchGuard