Staf. Builder Application

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Thanks Staf, that's looking good.
- I think some cobblestone could be mixed into the stone walls so make the gradient a little smoother, here's some examples
- You might also have enough space on the top floor to add an attic to fit a few more beds in/space for more storage.
- Can't tell for sure but the daub on the side of house in the first pic looks like it might not have any slate covering it? Or at the least the slate isn't overhanging it like on the front. You''ll want to extend the roof out a little bit like on this house

To mix things up a bit, take a look at /warp mistham3 and have a try at one of the mistwood lower class thatch/wood plank houses

Most of the houses in these hamlets belong to lumberjacks and lumbermill workers so no need to assign them a business to run from the house, just make it look lived in with space for a family.

You'll be able to get some other inspiration from warp mistham1 and mistham2 as well.

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey thanks for that, the house is 95% perfect.
Just watch out for those interior roof rafters, you've double layered the thatch (as in there's another layer of thatch stairs visible from the inside beneath the exterior thatch roof) so I'm not sure if you're quite across the rule yet. The interior roof rafters should basically always be wooden stairs/half doors, regardless of the exterior roof. Here's an example from mistham1

Sometimes you might have a roof where you have individual rafters/beams and the exterior roof is visible, like here
but these are the exception, not the default and will be specified in the project's style guide.

I think you're a little off with the roof overhang as well, most of the standard houses I saw at mistham have this flat front without the double stair sticking out in front.

Anyway, those are small points (wooden roof rafters and the roof being consistent with the existing style) but I just want to make sure you've got your head around them.

As your tentatively final challenge, head over to /warp wullvillage3 and have a go at one of the standard houses you'll see there. This is one of the mountain clans and so they have a more rustic/primitive style than those you'll see in the south. You'll find a style guide at /warp oldstyleguides which should give you instructions on the key rules as to how the houses are built, which you should pay close attention to. Every house will have some kind of profession, which they assign a small portion of the house to. Common professions are hunter, furrier, cooper, fowler, fisherman, farmer, trapper, lumberjack.

Take your time with this one and triple check you're consistent with the Wull style and let me know if you have any questions.

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Thanks Staf, great job
Only thing would be to use northern wood fence in the chimney rather than bedrock.

Otherwise I think you're ready! I'm confident you have the skills, attitude and attention to detail to make a great contribution to the server. Welcome aboard!

The next step is to contact a mod in-game to promote you to New Builder. Please make sure to read the New Builder guide here: http://westeroscraft.wikia.com/wiki/Newbie_guide
And also make a probation thread in the probation forum. You can start building at any open locations on the server - you can find these at /warp build, although it's sometimes outdated, so I would also recommend just asking people in-game and checking the forums for recent project happenings.

A probie leader should post on your thread within a week or so and continue to give you constructive feedback on your houses for the next month (and help be your entrypoint into the server community in general), in which case you'll be fully promoted if there are no further problems.

See you in Westeros

Staf.

Mummer
Thanks so much! I not only happy to be able to help you guys but I also feel like I’ve learned so much!
See you in Westeros!
Staf

Reactions: Uldirone