Staf. Builder Application

Staf.

Mummer

Belgium

I love MC servers that recreate books or movies in MC, when I became a GoT fan I started looking for GoT MC servers and quickly found WesterosCraft.

Harry Potter, LOTR and other Belgian/Dutch medieval stories.

All of the above

Samwell Tarly, because I believe it doesn't matter how you look, everybody can be brave and Sam is the prove. And he's smart and gentle.

I like combining colors or materials, I know how to work with World Edit and I have built a lot of castles in the past. I know how people lived back in the medieval times because I read a lot of books about it. I'm also pretty good in building patterns in walls with slabs and stairs for extra detail.

Every square meter of Westeros has its own story and I want to help you guys create this world in MC.

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Endymion

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Staf,
Thanks for your interest in the server, and for your patience with waiting for us to your review your application.

I've taken a look at your house and on the whole, it's a good start. You've clearly got some skill with design and thinking through what that kind of house would logically need and shown some creativity with the range of blocks you've used. As you become acquainted with the server and our building styles you'll become more familiar with the kinds of blocks we would typically use on the average build.

I've just made a few notes on where the house can be improved which should be helpful on your next challenge.

- Every town/project has it's own unique style which will often determine what shape/block palette a house will use. You've correctly identified some of the blocks used most commonly in the North, though generally a wood block would be more suitable for for the roof edging, as a block like stone basalt would always need to be supported by something else beneath it.

-We've also tried to minimise the use of logs in the exterior building facades, it's just a bit of an outdated style we've moved past.

- Furnishing housing interiors can be one of the trickiest parts of completing a project. It's a pity but many of the more interesting blocks we have are generally reserved for houses in a high class wealthy area. So objects like glass bottles, paper, stools and tables typically aren't used in low class houses.

- Floors are generally a mix of dirt/gravel and thatch.

- if you want to add mezzanine levels such as where you've put those beds, try to add log support posts beneath them to show they're not just holding themselves up from the wall.

-Also when adding additional floors to builds, you can use stairs to create rafters, rather than flat slabs. e.g.

- When using workbench/kitchen or cabinet blocks, you pretty much always want to cover up all sides except for one. It's usually easy enough to do this with a half door block.

- You can mix up the farming blocks a bit than just hay bails, try using some baskets/barrels/crates/sacs/pots as well.

You're definitely off to a good start, if you haven't already, take a look at http://westeroscraft.wikia.com/wiki/Basic_Building_Guide_for_Applicants as well as /warp furnish for more tips.

For the first challenge build, please make an average sized Low Class house in the style of /warp hawthornetown and share screenshots of it in this thread. Please take your time to study the style in detail, and make sure to ask if you have any questions on the above feedback or the hawthornetown style. Good luck!

Staf.

Mummer
Thanks!
Here's a URL to my build of Hawthornetown.
pFYCuEC

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Staf,
Thanks for completing your first challenge, you've shown some great progress with picking up the key elements of the hawthorne style.

Here's a couple of pointers.
- With the blacksmith profession/multiple levels/white daub/green shutters this is probably closer to a middle class house, not really a problem for the purposes of this challenge but something to keep in mind. Low class houses will generally be one level (sometimes with an attic), thatch roof and brown daub, but it'll vary to some extent from project to project.
- Try to avoid using the iron/redstone activated doors, we try to minimize button/lever activated objects, a regular oak door would be fine.
- Blacksmiths often have a large furnace in the yard, big enough to fit all the fuel/bellows needed to reach the high enough temperatures. . You'll find some examples at /warp jobs and /warp furnish, as you'll see there a blacksmith uses quite a bit of resources/equipment with their trade, and might use space in the yard to work/store things rather than inside.
- A blacksmith probably doesn't need to store hay in the top level of their house. I'm notice a bit of a trend with you using this hay block, I would suggest you avoid using it in any house except something like a rural farm house/barn or stables.
- make sure that cabinet on the second level is covered up with half doors on all but one side.
- I'm not sure if that diagonal mezzanine landing on the top floor looks right, i'd suggest losing the diagonal and have it either extend all the way to the other end of the house, or cut it off where the diagonal starts, it would be a better use of a space and be more structurally sound.
- Not a huge deal since this is just a challenge build but yards would usually have a ground base of a dirt/gravel mix along the most trafficked areas (like around that wooding chopping area in this case).

Otherwise I think you're making great progress. For your next challenge build please make a middle-class house in the style of /warp sweetport (middle-class are the ones with white daub&wattle and bedrock rooves). Feel free to ask if you have any questions, and good luck!

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Haha I told you not to use that hay bail block! Every build has been littered with them! A baker would have flour/grain sacs, not bails of hay.

Swap out of those hay bails with grain sacs/baskets/pots and post some more pics and I'll finish the feedback, also I think the interior of the roof needs the wooden rafter support blocks added.

Reactions: AerioOndos

Staf.

Mummer
There you go! My Sweetport bakery that doesn't store hay :).
(I also build something to remind me not to us hay anymore.)

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Thanks Staf, that's very nice looking baker!
- Nice work with the overall shape and design, daub looks nice and symmetrical
- Most projects will usually have a mix of three blocks for the stone palette, I think in Sweetport's case there's also some Small Smooth Stone Brick mixed in with the Dark Cobblestone and Small Stone Brick, you might've used some but I couldn't spot any in your pics.
- I couldn't see properly from your pics but just make sure you have the interior of the roof right, it should look something like this - I think Sweetport style is to have the ground floor be the mix of dirt/gravel instead of the bricks.
- That door on the top floor for the rope pulley could probably be just 1x2 wide instead of the big arch, looks nice but maybe impractical.

Overall though you're making great progress.

For the next challenge build, please make a middle-class house in the style of /warp whiteharbor. The middle-class ones can generally be found in the southwest of the city and there's a style guide in the air above /warp whsprawl. Good luck!

Staf.

Mummer
Thanks!
I'll start right away but just a question.. how many challenges do you think I'm gonna need?
Staf

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Thanks Staf, that's looking very nice, we've got quite a few taverns scattered around the major cities so that was a good choice of profession. Overall you've done well with the layout and shape, I've just got a few tips with the choice of blocks
- Trapdoors are rarely used for purposes other than actual trapdoors these days, like you would be fine to use half doors on the wood stack out front and slabs for the shelves.

Had two points with this room:
I'm not sure if the stair block on the right would be useful much, and the shelves on the left seem a little unwieldy with the unsupported wooden slab on the left ending half way in the middle. You could try a shelving unit like this instead
Basket blocks have the wood carpet on the bottom by default so they're handy for shelves.

- With the kitchen, you'd be fine to use a crate/barrel/cabinet/drawers bench as the food prep block instead of the wooden log.

- Books were pretty rare so we try to limit the use of bookshelf blocks to the highly educated/wealthy houses/professions. Tavern owner probably couldn't read. Glass flagons were a bit of a luxury too, pewter's always a safe choice.

- I think you've double layered the basalt brick roof for the rafters? Wood would be best, should look something like this
- Top floor could potentially be utilised a little more space efficiently with a separate room for a double bed, doesn't hurt to add some some clotheslines/baskets/cupboards up there too.

- Yay no hay!
That sounds like a lot but they're mostly just small nitpicks that you'll get the hang of with practice.

Next up, try your hand at a middle class profession in the style of /warp ss .
Stony Sept should be a little more of a challenge as it's grown without a set in stone style guide, rather there's a number of houses scattered around to use as inspiration. The trick will be to identify the key elements of similarity between all the houses and come up with a design that reflects them. A middle class house should also have a profession large/successful enough to support a middle class income, so the bottom floor/yard would almost certainly dedicated to it.

Let me know if you have any questions or anything you're not sure about.

Thanks!

Staf.

Mummer
I present you my Stoney Sept butcher for challenge #4! I hope you like it...
About the roof: I didn't double layer it on the tavern but now I did.