Raven Gate

DutchGuard

Shadowbinder
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Raven Gate (at /warp ravengate) is open for applications! If you are interested in applying please make a simple wool outline in your test plot of what you envision for the gate, as well as an elevation. The palette should reflect the surrounding area and established styles (as defined elsewhere in the subforum). If two weeks after your test is accepted, no one else is interested in taking on the gate, it becomes yours to develop exclusively. Once your application is approved the projects leaders will work with you to develop the test in situ.

2021-11-07_18.54.55.png

Scubooty

Bookbinder
I've made a test for the gate. Currently it is unpalleted and theres some notes on it about my plans like the small market space, stables, and the small moat which I figured is either a small dry moat/ditch or could be a stagnant pond type thing.

Attachments

• 2021-11-09_18.11.59.png
    2021-11-09_18.11.59.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 46
  • 2021-11-09_18.12.06.png
    2021-11-09_18.12.06.png
    1 MB · Views: 46
  • 2021-11-09_18.12.19.png
    2021-11-09_18.12.19.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
  • 2021-11-09_18.19.28.png
    2021-11-09_18.19.28.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 45

DutchGuard

Shadowbinder
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
I've made a test for the gate. Currently it is unpalleted and theres some notes on it about my plans like the small market space, stables, and the small moat which I figured is either a small dry moat/ditch or could be a stagnant pond type thing.
Looking good Scub! Thanks for submitting a design. I just wanted to give you some initial feedback, and you can let me know what you think.

This gate is the closest to the Oldtown Citadel, but doesn't sit on a particularly busy road out of the city. The OT project document notes that this gate was built during the period of Dorian's reign.
Dorian’s Oldtown [OT III]
Dorian Hightower set aside his wife for an Andal princess, protecting the city
from the Andal invaders and introducing the Faith of the Seven in the process.
His actions turned Oldtown into the centre of the Faith of the Seven.

I think it would be great to imagine the Raven gate as a symbol of this transformation of the city to a religious centre. Something akin to the Gate of the Gods in KL. It would great to see some faith based designs incorporated into the gate, with the addition of a chapel to the Crone or another god for travellers to visit. The focus should be less on defensive capability and more on the idea that this is the entrance for religious pilgrims travelling to the city. Hopefully that gives you some ideas!

Scubooty

Bookbinder
I think incorporating some faith elements into the design could be really nice, I like the defensive nature of it currently but will think about making it have some more aesthetic elements as well, We will be getting the new faith carvings so you'll have to wait until I have access to those but I'll start the other work soon. I know some work has been done to update some sections of the wall and I would like to work with the walls team to make sure my gate is cohesive with these designs so any feedback from you guys is appreciated! Also for the pilgrims sept would you intend for that within the city walls or in the exterior bailey/square?

Scubooty

Bookbinder
Pasted, done some more work but I am unsure on the gradient. There's a big inconsistency between sections that are currently WIP. Just wanna clarify what the correct gradient is.

Iwan

Boldtown
Staff member
Also, I'm happy to approve you for the gate, feel free to paste it in at your convenience.
Excuse me for hijacking this, but I'd like us to stick to the 2 week period that allows others to apply as well.
If two weeks after your test is accepted, no one else is interested in taking on the gate, it becomes yours to develop exclusively

DutchGuard

Shadowbinder
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Excuse me for hijacking this, but I'd like us to stick to the 2 week period that allows others to apply as well.
I can see how the OP is confusing. What I meant to say is that
"Even if your test is not explicitly approved, if two weeks after your test is accepted, no one else is interested in taking on the gate, it becomes yours to develop exclusively" Which is what I thought we had agreed, but that's my bad for not clarifying.

Scubooty If you don't mind holding fire for now, we will wait to see what else comes in before the end of next week.

Iwan

Boldtown
Staff member
Which is what I thought we had agreed, but that's my bad for not clarifying.
OK, we must have misunderstood each other then, I'm sorry. I'd still like to give others a chance to apply. Scu applied last wednesday, I'd consider a week sufficient time for any competition.

Scubooty I have no quarrel with the gate itself, and we already talked briefly about it. I saw that you have already pasted it in and would not ask you to remove it. But please hold off for a few days before you continue, in case someone else wants to throw their hat in the ring, too.

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
Hey Scubooty,

A bit overdue, but here is our feedback on your gate application. As with the application for the Quail gate, we’ll first give some general feedback about the plot, after which we’ll go into further detail on your gate application.

The plotting of Oldtown
The current plotting of Oldtown has been laid out in order to translate the plans made in the Oldtown document onto the map. As a result, the plotting is a very loose indication of what goes where, and is by no means intended to be definitive. For mini projects, both the shape and exact location are open to the creative view of the builder, as long as it does not interfere with already finished (or in progress) projects. When making changes to the surroundings of the mini, make sure to list them in your app. We trust builders to be considerate while making changes.

In the case of the Raven gate, the following aspects have a direct influence on the gate and how it is perceived:
  • The relation with the fortification along the river
  • The double wall
  • The road inside the city
  • The exact location of the gate
  • The plotted bailey
You can change aspects of these in order to make it fit in with your gate design, but it is not a requirement to do so. Applications without changes to these structures will not be judged differently than applications that change everything. However, we will judge how well an application fits into its surroundings, and changing them accordingly can help with this.

Scubooty's gate
A sturdy gate flanked by two half-round towers, a classic design.

Plotting and layout
  • The outer bailey in front of the gate is somewhat redundant, and we’d like to suggest removing it entirely. Instead, consider adding a chamber gate on the interior of the gate.
  • The gate itself is slightly underwhelming. Consider making the flanking towers 2 blocks wider.
Design
  • We like the design.
  • Make sure walls of defensive buildings are thick enough; preferably two blocks, three if you have the space to spare.

Feel free to ask any questions if things remain unclear.

Scubooty

Bookbinder
I've been away for finals. Now that I am back, what is the style for the walls? There seems to be no consistency between some sections of the walls. I think I need to know what you guys (Dutch, Iwan, and Stoop) agree on as the official style. I feel like there is a discordance between opinions on the gate as it was already approved and now seems to not be fitting.