Completed Immersion Build: Northern Kingsroad inn

Peptic

Poet
Builder: Pept1c
Approximate coordinates: -578.948 43 -4544

Hello! As my first immersion project I have decided to apply for an inn in the north. After riding from Moat Cailin to Winterfell, I didn't find a single road-side inn, and the entire area just felt a bit empty, hence this application.

Research/Inspiration
This building is not mentioned in any canon that I know of, but I believe it isn't unreasonable for it to be there. According to a Wiki of Ice and Fire, inns are much less common along the Kingsroad north of the neck, but they do exist, although they are not as able to hold big parties. And this area felt a little bit empty, so I feel that this could make a nice addition to make it a bit more lively. I didn't get any real inspiration from irl buildings for this, most of the ideas came from traveling the north, and from Seri.

Plans
My build would be situated at a small forest roughly halfway between Moat Cailin and Winterfell, in this forest there is also a small lake, and a bigger one a bit further north. I believe this would act as a natural resting point for travelers. The stables are built into a ruin of an older house, suggesting that there was more at this place before, but it has withered away with time. The inn itself is quite small, being able to accommodate for maybe, 5-6 people at once (excluding the owner), there is a garden out back with veggie patches, storage and a small animal pen, probably for pigs, this would make the inn relatively self-sustainable, but it is also close enough to Wintertown to trade there.

Test
There is a test at my plot ( /warp pept1c), its the very big chunk of land up in the sky. Its still somewhat of a WIP, but the general feel of it is done. Feel free to leave any feedback, thoughts etc etc.

This is my first immersion build, so I am grateful for feedback etc, also if I missed something in the application, do let me know.

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Hey Pept1c, do you mean one of these lakes?

image.PNG
Here's a zoomed out view for general placement within the north
image2.PNG

Peptic

Poet
Yes, I mean the small lake within the small forest, near the center of the bottom pic. Its a good location and they're close enough to the bigger lake and the river to retrieve water from there if needed.

_Simbaa

Printmaker
I would recommend attaching picture of the dynmap with your plans drawn out on them, aswell as screenshots of your tests. Its easier for us to grasp the general idea behind your projects that way.

Reactions: Elduwin

Peptic

Poet
Here are my plans drawn out on the map, blue=building, green=wall/ruin, yellow=stables, red=veggie patches.

Attachments

• WesterosCraft v1.12.2 - Google Chrome 2021-02-14 10_48_42 (2).jpg
    WesterosCraft v1.12.2 - Google Chrome 2021-02-14 10_48_42 (2).jpg
    888.7 KB · Views: 32

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
I can see some refining generally needed on the main building. nothing major, just stair directions on the roof

Peptic

Poet
I can see some refining generally needed on the main building. nothing major, just stair directions on the roof
Uh, could you specify what you would change with the roof? I got a third party (Joseidon) to have a look at it, and he thought it was fine.

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Nvm, it was a little bit of the thatch stair facing the wrong way but it seems like you've fixed it. I only just had the opportunity to get on the server. Anyway, I like it. Nice root cellar!

Peptic

Poet
Nvm, it was a little bit of the thatch stair facing the wrong way but it seems like you've fixed it. I only just had the opportunity to get on the server. Anyway, I like it. Nice root cellar!
Thank you! Now I guess I'm just waiting for a moderator to take a look at it.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Peptic,

The inn itself looks pretty nice, but I was wondering if you'd consider doing a little bit of terra work on the area (or having an editor help with it). It doesn't have to be anything particularly involved, but even just some sculpting to the terrain around it or integration with the adjacent forest will make this immersion build stand out a lot more. It currently feels like a bit of wasted potential with the terrain around the inn being so flat.

I'd also consider adding a couple more houses and small fields/pastures around to support the inn; it'd be rare to find a completely isolated inn like this especially along a major road. I'd suggest looking at /warp ivyinn; the style is Crownlands/Riverlands but it's a good example of a similar scale build that does a nice job of representing itself as an entire sustainable settlement.

Peptic

Poet
Hey Peptic,

The inn itself looks pretty nice, but I was wondering if you'd consider doing a little bit of terra work on the area (or having an editor help with it). It doesn't have to be anything particularly involved, but even just some sculpting to the terrain around it or integration with the adjacent forest will make this immersion build stand out a lot more. It currently feels like a bit of wasted potential with the terrain around the inn being so flat.

I'd also consider adding a couple more houses and small fields/pastures around to support the inn; it'd be rare to find a completely isolated inn like this especially along a major road. I'd suggest looking at /warp ivyinn; the style is Crownlands/Riverlands but it's a good example of a similar scale build that does a nice job of representing itself as an entire sustainable settlement.
Im not entirely sure what you mean by sculpting to the terrain around it, a hill maybe? But I guess I could add some more trees and sort of integrate the build the the forest? And I'm adding more farmland and some more houses rn, I'm doing maybe a butcher who would have some animals, and a small house for just someone who works the crops.

Im not entirely sure what you mean by sculpting to the terrain around it, a hill maybe? But I guess I could add some more trees and sort of integrate the build the the forest? And I'm adding more farmland and some more houses rn, I'm doing maybe a butcher who would have some animals, and a small house for just someone who works the crops.
I like the idea of more houses for the complex, but maybe don't do specific professions like a butcher. I'm sure the people in the inn would kill their own animals and prepare their own meat, the settlement isn't big enough for such specialization generally all folk here would be able to self sustain themselves without third party labor of a profession.

Reactions: thecoddfish

Peptic

Poet
I like the idea of more houses for the complex, but maybe don't do specific professions like a butcher. I'm sure the people in the inn would kill their own animals and prepare their own meat, the settlement isn't big enough for such specialization generally all folk here would be able to self sustain themselves without third party labor of a profession.
Alright, I'll keep that in mind

Peptic

Poet
Not necessarily a hill, just making the contours around the project a bit more interesting - even if just a very shallow incline.
Alright, I made the forest bigger and tried to extend the hill a bit so it would reach behind the inn, it looked alright I guess, but please leave any opinions!

Reactions: AerioOndos

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Sorry, missed this.

I just took another look - I think you ought to halve the width of the bit of the Kingsroad going through your project (to about 7-8 blocks); the whole thing is a bit too wide right now, even for a major road. The mods have talked about uniformly fixing this in the future, but it'd probably better for you to do this in your little slice of the Kingsroad now so we don't have to move buildings around in the future. For now, you can just transition with the rest of the Kingsroad on either end. This should also help a bit with the perceived 'flatness' due to having a 15-block wide highway of dirt/gravel going past the inn.

Other than that, I think it still seems a bit plain when approaching from the southern side. I think you could make the yard to the west of the road a bit larger, with the walls following the road. You could also have some small veggie fields to the south, enclosed by fences. Even just adding some interesting foliage along the road (versus just flat tall grass) would help with this. LMK if you want me to show you what I mean with any of this if you catch me in-game.

Reactions: DutchGuard

IMajic

Royal Messenger
Hi peptic,
I saw this post a few days ago.

I thought of some things you could add to bring this alive,

• such as a small barn for a mule/ox to pull the cart - this would have a hay store/feed in one half.
    = as you said they have a cart which they pick supplies up at the local town/village.

• As it's an inn the staple foods is normally stews and bread, you could include a grindstone/windmill / probably grindstone where they grind there own flour - this mule would work this when not being used for getting goods. Im not sure though as the owners would just buy the flour from the local market. just an extra idea if needed.

• You said they would have pigs - this would be more a source of income being sold on rather then be used for food, they would have chickens for food as they produce eggs [used for bread] and for meat.

They would probably sell the pigs and would buy meat when needed when gathering supplies from the markets or barter with traders
    going past.

• As this inn is self sufficient and far away from any other place, they would also chop there own wood for cooking/warmth.
    = so you could show they make there own firewood.

• You could include some traps in the little wood for catching rabbits as well, it would be nice to think about the wildlife. The pond could have fowl , maybe show some nesting or something, up to you.

hope some of these ideas help and gives the area a bit more then the actual building and yards and thinking about the life of the area.

thx
maj

Last edited: