Zachoyo

Storyteller
What is your Minecraft username?
Zachoyo

What is your age?
17-20

In what country are you living?
Canada

Where did you first hear about WesterosCraft?
From a friend

What do you like the most about GoT/ASoIaF?
The style

What is your favorite build on our server?
Duskendale

Why do you want to join our server?
To try out new building techniques and make new friends

Tell us about your build.
Its a tall house with a little pathway next to it

Imgur Album: https://imgur.com/gallery/KB8UZOv

Did you follow the application rules?
You know nothing, Jon Snow

SeapunkPeaches

Cersei's Left Bob
Hey Zachoyo,

thanks for applying!

Your house looks nice - although a bit too high fantasy maybe. To be more specific, the proportions of the house don't exactly match our style that's grounded in realism. Other than that, it's a really cute house. Now onto the nitpicking.

Exterior:

- The stone mix of the walls seems a bit too random. We call this a gradient. It tends to go from darker to lighter blocks in different patterns, with little contrast between the blocks that touch. Good examples of the gradient you chose can be found at /warp Gaunt or /warp Wickenden.

- Another thing that might be too unrealistic are the big glass windows. They cover up a lot of the house's facade. Due to the size of this specific house, I'd opt for smaller windows.

- Not a critique, but I really like that you included timber framed blocks in the structure next to the house :D

Interior:

- Your house seems to be high-class, so I'll feedback it as such. The choice of luxurious items seems fine, although the owner might not own that many books. Also, we don't really use brewing stands for decoration.

- The main problem I can see is that there is no staircase, but a ladder. Remember, we're based on realism and mostly medieval architecture, so make sure to have the most important things secured first - the stairs, the fireplaces, etc.

- We don't really use the tree log block anymore due to its chunky appearance. A simple ceiling design using stairs and slabs will be just fine.

- All other minor problems, such as single hopper block tables, chunky wood furniture etc., can be polished by exploring some of our most recent town builds, such as Duskendale and Maidenpool. Definitely take inspiration for different furniture and interior designs from there.

For your first challenge, please build a house in the style of /warp Gaunt. Pick the house owner's profession (you can choose one that's already represented in the project, but you can also choose one that'd make sense for the rural medieval area that is Gaunt) and make sure to pay attention to the designs and techniques used in the project! Don't be afraid of getting heavily inspired by some of the houses. As you can see, most of them are just slight variations of eachother. We're not asking you to invent a new style, only to replicate an existing one.

Good luck!

SeapunkPeaches

Cersei's Left Bob
Hey Zach!

This is a really nice house, especially since you built it so quickly, good job!

My main critique would be regarding the roof shape. Basically, diagonal roofs are built like orthogonal house roofs, but every several blocks, the roof is pushed forward. Therefore, you should avoid weird lumps. We talked about this in-game, so I'm confident you'll get it right next time :)
The timber pattern looks nice, but you can use the vertical timber block now, instead of the horizontal ones stacked vertically. It's a fairly new addition and I don't think Gaunt has been updated with those yet, so no worries.

On the inside, I'd make the area with the straw flatter. It looks like the sleeping area, so no dirt lumps would make sense. Also, you can replace the single hopper block with a table block or any other small table design. One more thing to remember - even though our blocks are square, barrels are round in real life, always put stuff on the top part of a barrel, never on the sides.
Overall, a really nice second house!

For your next challenge, please build a house in the style of /warp Silverhill. You can go fancy, but also poorer. The choice is yours.

Good luck!

SeapunkPeaches

Cersei's Left Bob
Hey Zach,

I talked with GeneralMcNuggets since he knows the style best and he said it's very similar to the existing buildings at Silverhill, albeit with some small subtle variations.
It's not a direct copy, but the layout is a bit similar. No worries though, I'm really happy with the eagerness and drive you put into doing a whole block of houses! It's nice that you did a whole backyard, it perfectly encaptures the vibe of the town. I don't have any major issues with the building, perhaps only the dark and light thatch carpets next to eachother. If you really want to do it though, you could add more dimension to it by using full blocks and carpet blocks together rather than just carpet blocks.

Overall, good job! Consider yourself approved :D Make sure to create your probation thread and start your probation period. Good luck!