Yewty Builder Application

Yewty

Mummer

USA

I was looking through youtube and saw your videos. The builds looked absolutely incredible and I wanted to be a part of the community. Additionally, I'm very into online RPGs and a proposed Game of Thrones RPG always sounds great to me.

Narnia, Lord of the Rings, Avatar (TLA)

Game of Thrones

Season 1
Season 2
Season 3
Season 4
Season 5
Season 6
Season 7

My favorite character is Tywin Lannister- the way he can command people and his confidence in himself and his philosophy is admirable to say the least. The man was a naturally born leader, fully capable of running a thousand year-empire on his own, but mortality got to him. I also liked his views on death and finality- that legacy is the only thing that matters. Tywin Lannister is a man I'd trust to rule, a man I would put my faith in. Runner-up favorite characters include Jaime Lannister (mainly for his arc of redemption throughout the show) and the Hound.

With such a great build crew already? All I can say is that I can bring in my own perspective. I'm a double major in Archaeology and Linguistics, in my third year at university, so I suppose if anyone needed things named according to the language schemes of ASOIAF I could do that fairly easily. As for my knowledge on archaeology, I've done field work on sites in Central America and Ireland, so I know how buildings break down and decompose. Ruins are fairly easy to build for me.

As far as traits, I'd like to think that I'm a fairly kind person, and I will always try to spin a negative into a positive, or to help someone feel better after a bad day. I'm not unique and definitely not as skilled as many of your crew, but I can promise to be supportive of the other people on the server.

First off, I like to build medieval themed villages and towns. I'm very interested in both fantasy and history and it's just a hobby of mine. The way you can make the mundane extraordinary by just using small details- a wagon filled with goods, a little fishmonger's hutch, a babbling creek behind a cottage- also makes each of these builds worth it. I just like creating beauty- as stupid as that sounds in minecraft- and I want to be a part of this venture.

You know nothing, Jon Snow.

Approved by Emotione11 on Sep 23, 2018.

Last edited by a moderator:

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey YeetYewty,

Thanks for the application!

Your build is a great start; The yard is really well done, though there are a few issues on the house to point out (it's mostly good though):

- The thatch roof is too messy, and also a bit too flat. If you take a look around places like /warp klsprawl, you'll notice that most of the houses there have 45 degree rooves (i.e. using thatch stairs) and are mostly neat rather than messy.

- Using log blocks in houses is considered an outdated practice, as they make builds seem way too clunky.

- The interiors seem good overall, but make sure to have rafters supporting the thatch from the inside!

Good work otherwise though. I'll give you a few challenge builds to get you fully up to speed. For the first build, please make a middle-class house in the style of /warp woodwright. Good luck!

-Emote

Yewty

Mummer
Hello Emote!

Thanks for the challenge, I really jived with Woodwright's architectural style. Very nice. Anyway, here's a middle class house for a scribe and his son.

Edit: Just noticed that in my haste i forgot to randomize the stonework. It's Reach Light Stone now but would have included Reach cobble, Light stone, and the other stone used in Woodwright. Should I edit the build and then resubmit?

Last edited:

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Yewty,

Lovely work, you've nailed the woodwright style!

You're correct about the gradient (I recommended you check out /warp gradient on our server as a helpful resource). No need to fix it though, just do it on all future houses. Just a couple other small things:

- Try to be careful with unwieldy/awkward ladder placements, like here. Stairs are generally preferrable except for lofts or mostly unused attics.

- With slate rooves, you pretty much need to cover up the whole inside with wood, or else it looks like you have floating unsupported slate tiles.

- The fancy stool here seems a bit out of place for an average village house, also they probably wouldn't be literate.

Other than that, great job! For the next challenge build, please make a middle-class house in the style of /warp whiteharbor. Good luck!

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Yewty,

Good work again! You did well on this, especially considering the WH gradient is pretty tricky. Here's some more feedback for you (mostly picky stuff):

- You should use white harbor cobble for the arch above this door here rather than the light grey stone.

- The thing over the doorway here is slightly awkward. In general I usually do the slabs on the top flat rather than curved, but you also should try experimenting with other ideas (including the possibility of not having anything above the door).

- Some ash blocks in front of the fireplace would look nice.

- Make sure to always cover the sides of workbenches and cabinets with half doors! Such as here. It doesn't make much sense to have drawers on multiple sides of the same block.

I'm not seeing any other notable issues though. So for a tentative final challenge build, please make a middle-class house in the style of /warp fairmarket. Note that the style here is a bit complicated, so take your time. I'm sure you'll do fine though. Good luck!

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Yewty,

Looks lovely, not really seeing any issues here. Just don't forget to mix in a little bit of gravel with dirt in your garden, and also I'd recommend using jungle wood instead of spruce wood (it complements oak better).

Other than those things though, your building quality seems completely up to standards, so consider yourself approved!

Please make sure to read the New Builder guide here: http://westeroscraft.wikia.com/wiki/Newbie_guide
And also make a probation thread in the probation forum. You can start building at any open locations on the server; a probie leader should post on your thread within a week or so and continue to give you constructive feedback on your houses for the next month, in which case you'll be fully promoted if there are no further problems.

Welcome to the team, I look forward to building with you! :D