YehWah Builder Application

YehWah

Mummer
What is your age?
21-24

In what country are you living?
The Netherlands

Where did you first hear about WesterosCraft?
Searched online

What do you like the most about GoT/ASoIaF?
In depth descriptions of places and an active public interest in the works.

What is your favorite build on our server?
Oldtown is shaping up to be a work of art but my favourite finished build has to be Gaunt.

Why do you want to join our server?
I have been active in other Minecraft communities but I feel like I have to the time to contribute to WesterosCraft now. That and a long lasting love for GoT and ASOIAF.

Tell us about your build.
Largely inspired by Bandallon, this build features a reasonably spacious house, chicken coop, firewood storage and smithy. The main house, flanked by chimneys on either side, houses three residents and is constructed out of light bricks and stones with a thatched roof. Typical for the lush Reach, there are flowers growing around and on the house. The profession of the inhabitants centres around the smithy, while the female could take care of the chickens and other food sources. The smithy is inspired by Kingdom Come Deliverance. The smith is sheltered from draught and rain while still being open enough as to not die of a heatstroke.

2020-08-05_11.29.03.png
2020-08-05_11.32.07.png
2020-08-05_11.29.48.png
2020-08-05_11.29.56.png
2020-08-05_11.30.15.png
2020-08-05_11.30.21.png
2020-08-05_11.30.43.png

Did you follow the application rules?
You know nothing, Jon Snow

Last edited:

Luk

Gullible
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Hi YehWah,

thanks for taking the time to apply!

This is an excellent first build. I see you took the time to look around the server and familiarise yourself with our style of building.
Your house would fit lovely within a project of the reach.

There is honestly not much feedback i can give. Anyway, here are some things that i still noticed which could be improved:
  • The wall gradient looks a bit messy. We try to have a distinct order of adjacency for the gradient.
    So for example: you have the reach cobble, reach bricks and reach light stone. The reach cobble should be on the bottom and should never touch any reach light stone block. There should always be at least one block of reach bricks in between. It's a bit nitpicky, but it makes all the difference on our most outstanding builds.
  • Your floor has too much stone in it, mix in some Dirt & Gravel. Medieval homes often times could not afford to pave their floors with stone, instead most times the floor just consisted of compacted dirt.
  • The chimney doesn't seem to have an opening for the smoke.
  • You used two benches with knives in the house, which is a lot for a peasant. Always keep in mind how wealthy the inhabitants of the house are (most times the ppl will be starving poor :D) and base your furnishings on that.
  • Also, you didn't cover the one side of the bench, so it can be seen through the transparent table block. Thats generally a big no-no. Blocks like that are intended to only be visible from one side.
For your first challenge, please build a merchant's house in the style of Fairmarket.

Im excited to see what you come up with. Good Luck!

Luk

YehWah

Mummer
Hey Luk,

Thanks for the feedback! I went to work on the new build right away and have just finished it.

This merchant's house stands on a dockside corner in Fairmarket. The merchant trades in spices and has his shop on the ground floor of his house. A hanging sign and market stall like roof attract attention to his shop. A second entrance on the ground floor leads to a hallway which can access his backyard and the stairs. The First floor features a spacious common room. Most of the family’s activities would be centered here. Cooking, eating, etc. can all be done in this room. On the first floor is a bedroom for one of the children as well. The second floor has two more bedrooms, the master bedroom and another one for a child. The last stairway leads to the attic, where food, spices, etc. can be stored. This attic can be easily accessed from the outside with a crane. Note; one side of the house is not as detailed, because I figured there would be other house built up against it.

2020-08-12_11.34.17.png2020-08-12_11.34.25.png2020-08-12_11.34.53.png2020-08-12_11.35.01.png2020-08-12_11.35.10.png2020-08-12_11.35.29.png2020-08-12_11.35.43.png2020-08-12_11.35.50.png2020-08-12_11.35.56.png2020-08-12_11.36.07.png

Last edited:

YehWah

Mummer
Some images are too large to process, so I can't post them here. Would you prefer something like imgur?

2020-08-12_11.36.14.png2020-08-12_11.36.20.png2020-08-12_11.36.26.png2020-08-12_11.42.54.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Luk

Luk

Gullible
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Hey YehWah,

Good job again on that house! I love the story you created around it :)

Only thing that bothers me on this one is that you used a LOT of glass windows. Glass was very expensive in medieval times, and even in a thriving market town like FM it would be used sparsley. In general, try to use as few windows as you can, because every opening in a house is a vulnerability to the elements. Also if you take a look around Fairmarket you'll see that windows spanning 3 blocks high are not fully glassed. Instead just a short part above the actual window is glassed. That would be so that even if the shutters are closed on colder days, daylight is able to light up the room.

Everything else seems pretty much fine to me.
I see a lot of potential in your skills already!

For your next challenge i'd like you to build a mid-class house in the style of Woodwright. Good luck!

Reactions: YehWah

YehWah

Mummer
A secluded farmers house with the gardens and allotments in a natural dell. For this house I decided to angle the house slightly and by making use of wall I made the entire house diagonal. On the ground floor are the kitchens and dining area and a small living room. On the first floor, directly below the roof, are two bedrooms, one for the parents and a shared one for two children. Around the back of the house are the allotments. Here they grow some crops and herbs or they can sit under the tree and dine outside. The house is on the larger side, but this was necessary because it's diagonal, otherwise there would not be enough room inside.
Again, most of the nicer pictures are unfortunately too large for the server.

2020-08-15_13.46.15.png2020-08-15_13.46.25.png2020-08-15_13.46.28.png2020-08-15_13.46.35.png2020-08-15_13.46.42.png2020-08-15_13.47.29.png2020-08-15_13.48.16.png

Luk

Gullible
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Hey YehWah,

sorry for letting you wait so long.

The house in and of itself is pretty good already. One issue i found on the interiors is that you added a writing desk. A farmer generally would not able to read.
Another thing i noticed is the use of the altar candles, which are a block that is not usually seen in a farmers house. Especially not on a metal candle holder. Some simple candles will definetly suffice, but even those should not be overused. Medieval houses should be dark imo.

The major issue i have with this house though, is that it frankly does not represent a house in the Woodwright style. The angle of the house is very unique and not really used in plotting. I think you noticed yourself that such an angle is very unfavorable for building a house. Also the palette that you used isn't represented anywhere in WW.

For your next challenge build a house as you would find it on the southern half of Duskendale.
Good luck!

Reactions: ContraBlonde

Veggie

The Old Bear
This application has been rejected at this stage due to inactivity, you would be welcome to pick this up where we left off in the future.