Xeson Builder Application

Xeson

Messenger

Germany

mainly through your YouTube Channel and a website I can't remember which presented great server projects.
Also, your first version of the Red Keep and Kings Landing on Planetminecraft impressed me and after this I finally visit your server. Now I'm online every day to see every small progress you do on HG.

Of course, I recently read Lord of the Rings, but I will not get warm with the high fantasy touch of those books. My absolutely favorit is Game of Thrones and outside the fantasy my other pleasure is

Game of Thrones
Clash of Kings
Storm of Swords
Feast for Crows
Dance of Dragons

Season 1
Season 2
Season 3
Season 4
Season 5
Season 6
Season 7
All of the above

Long time I thought it would be Tyrion Lannister but recently and after the completion of all books I would like to say I really like Littlefinger. I find it interesting that he can play around like a Lord and he only owns a small Tower in the Vale. His character is completely contrary to a typical medieval character. Because he really needs to work “hard” in his own way to become who he is – no birth right or something else and after the fourth book you do not know which side he chose and how his plans play out. I very dislike the decision or the way they killed him off in the series, but I also hope that his role is not finished during the outcome of the finale.

Unique and interesting skills are very hardly to submit if I know about the amazing talents working on your server. But I think I easy could adept different building styles and are absolutely trying to use your extended block-catalogue to create interesting furniture or house-styles. I now very long play Minecraft and I also whished that there could be more variety. That’s why I play your Launcher for one year in Single player for a few minor projects. I also think, that every house is a specific piece of “art”. That’s why I often work on my builds 2 or 3 weeks later because I think that something needs to be changed, that it is nearly perfect. On my normal Minecraft world, I also build every house individually and tried to change always in building styles and interior.

I love Minecraft and I love ASOIAF and the TV series Game of Thrones. Both combined in such an awesome project really impact me to try my best for application. I, as mentioned, visit your server nearly every day and I always find something new and interesting. I really would like to contribute as much as I can to this project, I personally think, have the potential to be the greatest server project of all time. Your aim to provide in future a free usable RPG adventure in this unique World of Westeros is very fascinating and if I maybe can help you to reach the goal or maybe only reaching stepgoals I would be very pleased.

Best regards and please excuse my bad English writing

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW

Approved by Emotione11 on Dec 13, 2018.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SchmiedOlaf

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Xeson,

Sorry for the delay in responding! This is one of the best apps I've seen recently, I don't think it'll take very long at all to get you fully up to server style. Since you posted a lot of houses, I won't be able to feedback them all in super detail, but since your more recent houses are better quality I'll focus mostly on those (pointing out only major things in the first ones):

- As you've probably noticed by now, the first house you made uses a number of outdated techniques. The most obvious ones are using full log blocks in houses (which we avoid pretty much entirely now, except for actual log cabins obviously), and having messy thatch rooves.

- The second house is better, but having the wood plank frame around the daub & wattle still seems a bit clunky. Also, the color combination of red daub & wattle + blue slate is rather unorthodox. Typically, blue slate isn't used in houses at all. Finally, I'm not super keen on the rounded corners of the house using stone wall blocks. I'd keep it rectangular.

- In general: avoid using bookshelves in ordinary houses. Literacy was extremely low in IRL medieval times (which our world is based largely off of), to the point where many nobles weren't even fully literate. Hence, you should only have bookshelves in extremely wealthy households, or special circumstances (e.g. maester, bookbinder, scribe, etc.).

- In general: whenever you use workbench or cabinet blocks, you should cover up all sides except for one (since it doesn't really make sense to have a cabinet which can open up on multiple sides). You can usually do this by using half door blocks, or just covering it up with other furniture.

- The white harbor house is really well-done! The gradient is a little spotty, however. The number one rule I try to follow with gradients is to think in terms of "blobs" rather than random mixing. If you want some visual examples of this, check out /warp gradient on the server.

- The interiors of the white harbor house are really good, the only thing which stood out as odd is the mass of furnaces in the kitchen. I think you should try to rework that. You have a space for a larger hearth, for instance using one of the many designs at /warp furnish in the fireplace section.

- The fairmarket bakery is stylistically good, but a bit out of proportion layout-wise. It seems a bit too wide. The rope-maker is better in this regard.

- To nitpick the daub & wattle a little bit, I would advise doing two things: 1) avoiding horizontal rows of the "daub wattle white frame" block (i.e. the one with no crossbeams), 2) making subtle use of the "plain white daub" block, which is often used around windows and framed by the daub & wattle blocks. Here are some examples of both, for instance.

Sorry if this seems like a lot, it's mostly just because you linked four houses :) Overall you have a really good start. Feel free to ask if you have any questions on any of the feedback.

For a challenge build, please make a middle-class house in the style of /warp woodwright. Also, I'd appreciate it if you leave out the shaders for at least the imgur album, since the shadows and lighting can sometimes make it hard to assess things like gradients. Good luck!

Xeson

Messenger
Hey. Thank you for your feedback. Your comments on my builds are very helpful.

I hope that I sucessfully implement some of your hints in this challenge build.

Profession: Cooper
Family: Father, Mother (- small garden+rose bushes) and son
Middle Class

I hope the gradient is better. I try to avoid extreme transitions between cobble, brick, light brick and light stone.
The hint to use daub blocks without wettle couldn't be implemented, because of the missing space.
Instead of Slate Stairs I use walls, because most of the other houses in Woodwright were build this way.
I hope that the custom trees are good enough and that the rose bushes are appropriate (but i think they should be in the Reach).

Album (without Shaders - sorry that I don't think about this fact earlier)

Video (with shaders)

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Xeson,

Beautiful work! You've pretty much nailed everything about the Woodwright style. I don't have anything to add.

Since you've already done all of the other challenges I would ask, and they all looked pretty good, I'm pretty confident in your building skills. Consider yourself approved!

The next step is to contact a mod in-game to promote you to New Builder. Please make sure to read the New Builder guide here: http://westeroscraft.wikia.com/wiki/Newbie_guide
And also make a probation thread in the probation forum. You can start building at any open locations on the server - you can find these at /warp build, although it's sometimes outdated, so I would also recommend just asking people in-game and checking the forums for recent project happenings.

A probie leader should post on your thread within a week or so and continue to give you constructive feedback on your houses for the next month (and help be your entrypoint into the server community in general), in which case you'll be fully promoted if there are no further problems.

Welcome to the team, I look forward to building with you! :D

Reactions: Xeson and lemonbear