White Knife terraforming discussion

DutchGuard

Shadowbinder
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
As the North is experiencing a sort of small renaissance at the moment, and in light of recent comments, I thought it would be good to start a thread to discuss the issue around the White Knife. Canon indicates there is some point where sailing up the river towards Winterfell becomes impossible due to rapids. It is not entirely clear where this point is, but it seems likely to me that its somewhere north of the fork in the river. It is unclear whether both streams have rapids, or just the one coming from Winterfell.

I'd love to hear some comments from those who have worked in the area (Jakethesnake8_8 carci Emoticone11 Deiniol _Simbaa ) and understand the lay of the land. What solutions are we looking at?

To get the conversation started, I wondered if there was some way we could add a "rapids" water texture which, when laid flat, displays a churning, aerated white water, such as below. Most rapids, in my experience, are shallow and rocky and don't necessarily include falls. This might overcome the need to drastically re-terraform a large area to give it a greater fall downstream.

7544450-wave-white-water-texture-for-background.jpg

As a side note, this would also be useful for other rivers where we have this issue, such as the Tumblestone, and allow for more variety in our other rivers and streams (where they are not meant to be navigable).

Deiniol

Playwright
Pronouns
he/him
The White Knife's surface is at a constant level for its entire course (y=34), from its firth at White Harbour, to its stretch south of Winterfell, or up to Long Lake. Therefore, to add rapids, some of the land, likely around Condon/Barkwood/Winterfell, will need to be raised.

Reactions: Ric and DutchGuard

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
A combination of an elevation change + a foaming water block would be perfect in my mind. Having a very shallow slope using water layers would look really good.
What could be done with post 1.18 waterlogging could be to have a foaming water block that could be placed inside water without collisions so layers wouldn't change and block would still be inside. I think this is possible with Sea Pickles rn to have non 8:0 water surrounding them but not completely sure on that.

Reactions: Ric and DutchGuard