White Harbor Spawl

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Here's the map of sprawl so far! Made by Ramen and SMP. I'm going to be working on planning sprawl over the next few weeks, so we can hopefully we can open houses for building soon. Please feel free to pitch ideas or suggestions if you have any! Industries, occupations, inspiration images, etc.
yMn4xe8.png

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Thamus said:
Emote asked me to recapitulate the steps I took for the WF sprawl in order to serve as guidance for the WH sprawl so here I go:
  1. Scout the larger landscape on the livemap to identify elevation and natural depressions
  2. Map out the maximum circumference of the sprawl bounded by natural obstacles or conflicting areas of influence of neighbouring houses.
  3. Terraform or plot rivers, lakes, forests and farmland based on the topography.
  4. Place major thoroughfares i.e. identify the most direct yet least inclined way to connect two larger points of interest/ trade/ travel.
  5. Place settlements according to the vicinity to arable land or to major thoroughfares
  6. Detail plotting of structures
  7. Use WE and Voxel to deposit placeholders for hedges/ low stone walls and use scripts to place them.
  8. Have scripts for the dominant types of fields, have scripts for lakes, ponds, rivers, roadside grass, grasscover, dry water channels, ditches etc. run them before allowing people to build.
  9. Divide the sprawl into several larger sections. We segmented WF into mini projects that were worth the same as Holdfast or the KL special builds.
  10. Build example section which contains a bit of everything. Detail the rough terra-job by hand.
  11. Open up sprawl for everyone.
  12. Continuously QC/QA the work to ensure max details.
  13. Final fly through, add details if necessary.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Emoticone said:
Ramen: Initially you had the lime kilns planned along the coast to the south (it was moved a little bit in SMP's update but not far). However, doing research about lime production, the sources seem to indicate that the lime kilns were mostly temporary, and built near where the limestone was sourced:
"However until the middle of the eighteenth century most lime kilns were temporary structures near to the site where the lime was required. These were either left to collapse after use or dismantled. In some places the limestone was simply burnt in clamps or pye kilns, in which coal slack and limestone were burned in an enclosed heap."
http://www.cumbria-industries.org.uk/a-z-of-industries/lime-burning/
Was there any particular reason you mapped them along the coast? Or should I move them to the foot of the quarry to the east?

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Ramen said:
When I was reading about lime kilns, I found on Wikipedia that many limestone kilns were built on the coast and along quays:
"Because land transportation of minerals like limestone and coal was difficult in the pre-industrial era, they were distributed by sea, and lime was most often manufactured at small coastal ports. Many preserved kilns are still to be seen on quaysides around the coasts of Britain."
I figured that since the city itself uses a lot of lime for whitewash, and would likely also be an exporter of lime, it made sense to me to try to have the lime production near the city and the docks. I think that having the lime kilns near the quarry makes just as much sense, though.

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
makes sense that the higher density areas would be closest to the water. I think we're making decent progress with the south sprawl, most no-test plots have been completed. If you want to start laying out more plots for the high density houses /add profession details we should be able to get them done pretty quickly.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
makes sense that the higher density areas would be closest to the water. I think we're making decent progress with the south sprawl, most no-test plots have been completed. If you want to start laying out more plots for the high density houses /add profession details we should be able to get them done pretty quickly.

Yup, the area to the east of the WIP sprawl section are ready to be opened as soon as nothing is left.

That said, there's still a number of things left in the city proper which I want people to apply for- many of them require testing, but that's nothing stringent- just a facade test on your plot, or in /warp probieground if you're a NewBuilder.

Reactions: mushimi