White Harbor News & Stats

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Previous:

@5603869 said:

[rule]
Great job everyone! White Harbor has been open for just 10 days and a good third (at least) is built already. From 34 unique builders, you guys have made 133 contributions, with an average of 3 contributions per builder. Currently the top 10 contributors are:

1. Veggie: 15
  2. NickShaiB: 14
  3. CaptScribble: 13
  4. SMP : 10
  5. Kor_Bro: 8
  6. Enahsian: 7
  7. pottman: 7
  8. MajorTom12466: 5
  9. padrao: 5
  10. BantyRooster: 4
Keep up the great work everyone, and do go back to your old houses and check for melons. A pink glass pillar means your house is unfinished and/or meloned in an area that's been "approved".

@5603869 said:
November 15th, 2016 Update
City completion is still moving forward at an astonishing rate, keep up the great work everyone. Since last week, we've gained 5 more unique builders to the city. Average contributions are up to 5 per builder now, and we're sitting at a total of 202 contributions.
The current rankings are as follows:

1. Veggie: 24
  2. Kor_Bro: 19
  3. CaptScribble: 17
  4. NickShaiB: 15
  5. pottman: 12
  6. padrao1796: 11
  7. Enahsian: 10
  8. SMP : 10
  9. MajorTom12466: 7
  10. BantyRooster: 5
There are a few PSAs I'd like to make to new and old builders alike. I'm having to leave too many melons on too many houses about this stuff:
White Harbor is a cold city. Houses should be built with heat in mind. Shutters aren't enough to keep the breeze out entirely and medieval houses are drafty. Keep your number of windows down to a reasonable number. I know it's hard to make exteriors interesting without them, but it's compromising the logic of the house. Also avoid having two-wide arch windows. They let way too much cold air in.
When you're furnishing attics, keep in mind what you're putting up there. They can't easily haul barrels or crates up ladders, nor shelves or beds. Always have a staircase if possible. If it's not possible, keep furnishing in the attic light.
Here's to another week of progress!

@5603869 said:
November 23rd, 2016 Update
And now, a special address from the Honorary and Rightful President Bernard Sanders.

ULD8dKt.jpg
DEAR BUILDERS OF WESTEROSCRAFT,
WHEN WE STARTED THIS PROJECT IN LATE OCTOBER, WE HAD JUST A FEW HOUSES AND EVEN FEWER CONTRIBUTORS. TODAY, WE HAVE GROWN THIS PROJECT TO A TOTAL OF 43 UNIQUE BUILDERS WITH 254 TOTAL CONTRIBUTIONS. IN MY VIEW, THIS IS AN ENCOURAGING SIGN THAT PEOPLE ARE COMING TOGETHER TO BE A PART OF THE CITY BUILDING PROCESS.
AND THAT IS WHAT THIS PROJECT IS ABOUT; IT'S ABOUT INVITING ALL OF THE MEMBERS OF OUR SERVER TO CONTRIBUTE TO THE CITY AND HAVE THEIR CREATIVE VOICES BE HEARD. UNFORTUNATELY, DESPITE OUR MANY SPIRITED CONTRIBUTORS, THERE HAS BEEN A SHIFT IN PRODUCTIVITY FROM THE MIDDLE CLASS TO THE MOST ELITE CLASS OF CONTRIBUTORS.
ALTHOUGH I AM PROUD TO SAY THAT THE AVERAGE DONATION FROM OUR BUILDERS IS 5 CONTRIBUTIONS, THE LEVEL OF CONTRIBUTION INEQUALITY IS SKYROCKETING. WHAT I MEAN BY THAT IS, THE TOP 23% OF BUILDERS HAS BUILT 63% OF WHITE HARBOR. JUST 10 BUILDERS HAVE MADE 160 CONTRIBUTIONS, COMPARED TO THE 90 CONTRIBUTIONS FROM THE BOTTOM 33.
LET ME JUST SAY THIS: WHILE I APPRECIATE THE TIME AND ENERGY ALL OUR BUILDERS HAVE GIVEN TO THE PROJECT, I THINK WE HAVE GOT TO SEIZE THE MEANS OF PRODUCTION FROM THE TOP 23% AND PUT IT BACK IN THE HANDS OF THE WORKING BUILDER. WE ARE THE BEST MAJOR MINECRAFT SERVER ON EARTH, AND WE CAN DO BETTER!
IF THIS PROJECT HAS PROVEN ANYTHING, IT HAS PROVEN THAT TENS OF BUILDERS WHO LOVE THIS SERVER ARE PREPARED TO STAND UP AND BUILD TO MAKE THE BEST CITY THIS SERVER HAS EVER SEEN.
THANK YOU ALL, THE STRUGGLE CONTINUES.

[rule]
THE INFAMOUS TOP 23%
  1. Veggie: 32
  2. Kor_Bro: 22
  3. CaptScribble: 18
  4. NickShaiB: 15
  5. pottman: 15
  6. MajorTom12466: 14
  7. padrao1796: 14
  8. Enahsian: 11
  9. SMP : 11
  10. SSeriousBuisneSS: 8

@5603869 said:
November 29th, 2016 Update
I'm posting this a day too early, but today is a special day. That's right folks...
It's the one-month anniversary of White Harbor!
24y7WLq.jpg

By my estimates, in just one month's time we complete roughly 65% of the city! Progress has been continuing at a steady pace and if we keep this up, we can be done the city before New Years! NO BRAKES!
Although we haven't added any new builders, we've had 27 more contributions (up to 281). The good news is, this raised our average contribution per builder up to 6 contributions! Hell yea!!!!!!
I'd like to wish a special happy anniversary to the top 10 White Harbor lovers:

1. Veggie: 34
  2. Kor_Bro: 23
  3. CaptScribble: 21
  4. padrao1796: 18
  5. pottman: 17
  6. MajorTom12466: 15
  7. NickShaiB: 15
  8. Enahsian: 13
  9. SMP: 12
  10. SSeriousBuisneSS: 9

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
@5605389 said:
May 16th, 2017 Update
Hey everyone, I've spent most of the past two days getting everything in White Harbor up to speed (approving stuff and simplifying existing approved tags to make them easier on the eyes).
There's been a bit of a lull in activity at White Harbor recently, but I'm hoping to be more involved with the city from now on so we can bump up progress again. We're currently at a total of 386 houses - indicating a completion rate of 70% (counting city houses only).
The list of contributions per builder can be found here, and in particular I'd like to give a special shout-out to the top 10 contributors as of now:
  1. Veggie: 34
  2. CaptScribble: 28
  3. pottman: 28
  4. Kor_Bro: 24
  5. MajorTom12466: 23
  6. padrao1796: 19
  7. NickShaiB: 16
  8. Enahsian: 15
  9. jmcmarq: 14
  10. SMP & SseriousBuisnesS: 12
In addition to normal feedback (melons), I've also marked some buildings with tall glass pillars:
  • If you want to bump up your contributions but don't have time to make a full house, I've marked some miscellaneous tasks throughout older parts of the city, marked with Pink glass. These are usually things like finishing yards, completing/redoing interiors, addressing feedback on houses with inactive builders, etc. If you decide to take one of these up (which would be greatly appreciated), keep the pink glass pillar but place a block of gold on top of it with your name saying "Done".
  • If you are feeling particularly ambitious, there are still a number of builds open for application throughout the open parts of the city. I've marked these with Yellow glass. These either require formal applications (on the forums) or testing the build on your plot and asking a mod in-game for permission. I'll be updating the official list of builds open for application soon as well. If you've submitted an app for a build that was never looked at, and are still interested in it, feel free to bump it on the forums.
Personally I find the White Harbor style to be very fun and easy to build, and it provides a nice break when I'm hitting a wall with a solo project. I've heard other people feel the same as well. So with this in mind, the 30% remaining should hopefully go by quick and painlessly. Let's get this thing done!

@5605389 said:
July 14, 2017 Update
Hey everyone, new plots open at White Harbor! I anticipate to finish the walled part of the city in two more sections after this one. The remaining plots are mostly wealthy residences and silversmith plots, as well as a number of builds that require mini-applications or testing on your plot. For the pink and red plots, make sure to check out the Silversmith example and the "High Class Examples" to the east.
Very important note in the wealthy houses: do not overdo it. Make the distinctively house upper class, but make sure to keep it clean and elegant rather than overdetailed. Avoid super excessive wealth.
The newly opened special mini-application/test-on-plot builds will be posted in the "New Apps Open" thead.
And just as a reminder: Pink glass means that a house needs finishing, feel free to grab one of these houses, finish whatever needs doing, and put your name on top of the pink glass stack. Yellow glass indicates a mini-application/test-on-plot build that's still open for people.

-------------------------------
In other news: we're currently at a total of 482 contributions - representing nearly 100 more contributions over the past two months! Estimated completion is somewhere around 80% by now for the city proper. In addition, there are now 71 builders who have contributed to White Harbor, with an average of 6 contributions per person. So thanks to all the people who have helped out so far!
The list of contributions per builder can be found here, and in particular I'd like to give a special shout-out to the top 10 contributors as of now:

1. Pottman: 35
  2. Veggie: 34
  3. CaptScribble: 29
  4. MajorTom12466: 25
  5. Kor_Bro: 24
  6. Enahsian: 22
  7. padrao1796: 19
  8. GeneralMcNuggets: 17
  9. jmcmarq: 16
  10. NickShaiB: 16

Looking forward to finishing the final stretch!

@5605389 said:
August 22, 2017 Update
Hey everyone! It's been a while since the last update, and a whole lot of hard work on White Harbor since then! Thus, as there are officially no more non-special plots in the city, I sadly have to announce that I'm opening White Harbor Sprawl (/warp whsprawl) for building.
Why "sadly", you're probably thinking? Surely it's an amazing feat that there are no more normal plots left in White Harbor? Well, it for sure amazing that we're so close to finishing the inner city, however the reason I'm sad is because I'm afraid that by opening Sprawl, people will become distracted from all the remaining jobs within the city walls :(
If you want to make me feel less sad, I've compiled a full list of all the things left inside White Harbor that still need to be done! Many of them are marked as "Test on plot" or "Apply on forums", but don't let that discourage you from trying! If someone else is testing for a plot already but hasn't posted an app or been approved yet, don't let that discourage you either. Also, new builders are allowed to test for these if they want using /warp probieground.
Additionally, there are a few things marked with Pink glass. These are buildings which are not yet started or unfinished houses, which are now up for grabs. This means that anyone can work on finishing a building marked with pink glass as long as you tag it with your name.
To-Do List:
  • Three manses south of /warp newcastle
  • Three manses on Silversmith square
  • Old Brewhouse near the Wolf's Den
  • Fisherman's Guild
  • The Old Mint (interiors need finishing)
  • The Faith Administration buildings (exteriors & interiors need finishing)
  • Sewer Flushing/Reservoir Plant
  • Sewer smuggling ring under Merman's Gate square
  • Three basement interiors near the Wolf's Den
  • One abandoned house near Silversmith's Guild
  • Two abandoned houses near the Wolf's Den
  • High-Class Gardens near Silversmith area
  • Floral Gardens in back of Silversmith's Guild
Please see what you can do from the above list to help out, and let's finish this thing once and for all! I look forward to being able to update this thread with final statistics for the city portion once everything is complete!

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
September 24, 2018 Update

Hey everyone,

It's been a long time since the last (formal) update, but I think we're due for one. Why? Because, I'm very happy to report, the entire sprawl area within the outer wall is nearly* completely finished. Including finishing house approvals and removing all of those ugly tags.

There are currently plots open (well, actually they're already almost gone :eek:) in the outer harbor area, at /warp WHSprawl, and there are also a few more near the whaling complex at /warp WHSprawl2. The next phase of sprawl will be plotting the inner harbor, which is thankfully not super large and shouldn't take nearly as long as KL Docks. However, while I have some general ideas, I'm still looking for inspiration for particular layouts. Replanning the existing docks in the inner harbor still isn't off the table also. So, if you have any ideas or tests, please feel free to send them my way!

* While I did say the sprawl inside the outer wall is nearly completely finished, there are just two things left: the ship construction area, and the salt boiling area. Both of these are mini-projects which builders can apply for, so if you're interested, please take a look at this thread!!

For an overview of all of the mini-projects left at White Harbor, this post gives a brief overview of what still needs doing before we can finally call White Harbor complete.

---------------

In other news: we're currently at a total of 861 contributions - nearly double the number of contributions last time this was reported. Current completion is 98% for the city proper (two points deducted for Wolf's Den and WIP sewers :(), and probably close to 85% in total (though it's a bit difficult to judge with the remaining terraform work) In addition, there are now 120 unique builders who have contributed to White Harbor since we first started, with an average of 7 contributions per person. Looking at just sprawl, those figures are 66 builders with an average of about 4 contributions per person. So thanks to all the people who have helped out so far!

The list of contributions per builder can be found here, and in particular I'd like to give a special shout-out to the top 10 Sprawl contributors as of now:

1. Ammika & Cl0udkid : 29
  2. CashBanks : 13
  3. GrayJedi : 12
  4. Kor_Bro : 11
  5. oOiOoMajic : 10
  6. Myrwhyck : 9
  7. VoxerBr : 7
  8. Pottman & Ubeka : 6

White Harbor was first started on October 29th, 2016. This means that we're soon approaching the two year anniversary of White Harbor. If we work really hard, we might just be able to have this wrapped up in the next couple months!

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
December 23, 2018 Update

Hey everyone,

As we're approaching the new year, I just wanted to give a brief update about the state of WH. The harbour area is pretty much finished. Whoo! I've gone through approving the houses there, and all that's left is populating the harbour with ships and adding some final details to polish it off.

If anyone has any feedback or suggestions for improvements at the harbour, please feel free to voice them now! I plan to remove the builder tags in about 5 days.

With that done, nearly all of the work remaining is terraforming and improving the auxiliary lands. There are only a couple very small tasks left inside the outer wall, i.e. the shipyard (which is already well under progress) and the salt boiling area, which is available for application.

If you're interested in any of the remaining mini-projects, please take a look at this thread!!

---------------

Anyways, we're currently at a total of 925 contributions for White Harbor, with 131 unique builders who have contributed to White Harbor since we first started. Warm welcome to the 11 new builders who have contributed since the last update!

The list of contributions per builder can be found here, and in particular I'd like to give a special shout-out to the top 10 Sprawl contributors as of now:

1. Ammika : 36
  2. Cl0udkid : 33
  3. Emoticone11 : 16
  4. CashBanks : 14
  5. GrayJedi : 12
  6. Kor_Bro : 11
  7. oOiOoMajic : 10
  8. Myrwhyck : 9
  9. P_Tesla : 8
  10. VoxerBr : 7

Current completion is 98% for the city proper (two points deducted for Wolf's Den and WIP sewers :( ) Furthermore, I would now estimate the completion of the city proper and sprawl to be close to 95% complete! I'm not sure what percent completion it is overall; the terraforming work is a bit hard to judge and may still drag on for a little while. Although now that @Kor_Bro is back in full force, and I'm soon to be free to work on terra as well, it should go a bit quicker :)

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
April 15, 2019 Update

Hey everyone,

It turns out that being sick + the possibility of a WH render in the mix + a dope ass community made me productive as hell the last few days, so I spent a bit of time finishing off all of the stuff in proximity to the city and sprawl. Instead of boring you with text, I'll show some of the progress using two new maps:

1c8647b7f5.png

6eaadf2071.png

As can be seen, pretty much everything within the city and sprawl is done, give or take a few scattered buildings which still need details, and some other things (the harbor & shipyard still needs ships, and the northern river needs to be reterraformed). As such, I'd estimate completion at 98% for the city proper and sprawl! The main builds that still need to be done are finishing the Wolf's Den and Seal Rock.

Taking into account the surrounding lands and terraforming, which are being worked on right now, I'd place completion somewhere in the 80-90% range, although it's honestly a bit hard to tell. One important thing that still needs to be done in the surrounding lands is the house Holt mini-app; see the sprawl thread for more information about that.

Since I went on a house-approval streak as part of finishing up the sprawl, I'll take this time to give some of the updated stats as well:

---------------

We're currently at a total of 1045 (finally breached 1,000!!) total contributions for White Harbor, with 613 of those being in the city and 432 being in the sprawl/surrounding lands. We're now at 142 builders who have contributed to White Harbor in its entirity, and 92 builders in the sprawl/surrounding lands. That's up again by 11 since the last update, so welcome to all the new builders who have contributed since then!

1. Ammika : 55
  2. Cl0udkid : 34
  3. Emoticone11 : 17
  4. CashBanks : 15
  5. IronGentleGiant : 14
  6. GrayJedi : 13
  7. Kor_Bro : 13
  8. Spikespiegel : 11
  9. Lyliana : 10
  10. oOiOoMajic : 10

P.S. @Steineke come finish the damn Wolf's Den already!

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
June 18, 2019 Update

Hey everyone,

Just giving a micro-update on where White Harbor is right now. I'm not gonna do the usual spiel this time, since I'm holding my breath for the big one, which should be coming up here in just a few weeks! That's because White Harbour is nearly done, and is at the point where it's only small local areas that need to be finished! Here's a map to illustrate:

Breaking down the tasks labelled in the image:

1. Farmstead - two houses need interiors
2. Codd's moors/hf - a ruined fisherman village still needs to be made, plus some small final terra
3. Holt - an inn + saw mill still need to be made
4. Holt - a lumber camp still needs to be made
5. Holt - a lumber camp and hunting camp still need to be made
6. Stark manse - the manse still needs to be completed, the mines still need finishing, and the lumber camp + deforested area need finishing.
7. Holt - a couple details in the hamlet, including a yard and me finishing my interiors
8. Wolf's Den - Stein said he should be on this in a week
9. Shipyard - Dry dock still needs an under construction ship
10. Harbor - Still needs more ships, Fin's ship still needs ints
11. Whaling complex - Interiors still need checking & fixing after the move
12. Seal rock - Not started yet.

Regarding stark manse - @Ben , as you were the "runner up" application for the manse, are you still interested in doing the manse? The interiors and some of the exteriors need to be completed.

Regarding seal rock - I will be opening this for application very soon, but I still want to do a little work to the island terra. For anyone who's interested in applying, please incorporate the rock itself into your test rather than just making an isolated ringfort. How the ringfort sits on the rock spatially is very important, it should feel like a natural, rugged extension of the rock rather than something that's been plopped on top of it.

Regarding any of the other tasks, if anyone is interested in helping, please let me know ASAP and I'll try to match you to one of the remaining tasks!

Cheers,
Emote

Last edited:

SMP

Faith Militant
January 6th, 2019 Update

Hello old friends. It's been a while. Just over three years, in fact, which is a lifetime for many of you. When this project began, many of you were probably still just teenagers, using your summer break to stay up all night with your friends building digital castles and listening to Frank Ocean. It was a simpler time. But now it's 2020, and you're probably about to graduate college, if you haven't already. The responsibilities of being an adult have begun to tear you apart. Friends, family, relationships, bills, grades, books, fees, debt, work, careers, socializing, networking, remembering to register to vote in your new place of residence before the deadlines. The world is on fire and global fascism is on the rise...but you know what?

White Harbor is done!!!!

But to be sincere for a second:

Progress ebbed and flowed with changing priorities, but White Harbor, like King's Landing before it, has come to an end. I know at times, this server can feel like a perpetually unfinished timesink, but these behemoth projects really do find themselves completed one way or another, and let's be real...they're fuckin impressive. No one builds like we do, and anyone who contributed to this project should feel proud. I know I do. The city and its lands are way cooler than anything I had ever originally envisioned, and that's on everyone else. Let this be a lesson in the spirit of collaboration and the collective. As I look over the spreadsheet for the project, I see many names no longer around, and many more I don't even recognize. People come and go, but the vision remains.

Anyway, here's some stats.

WHITE HARBOR TOTALS
  • Total Builders: 159
  • Total Builds: 1124
  • Average Builds per Player: 7.06
WHITE HARBOR TOP BUILDERS (TOTAL)
  1. Ammika: 87
  2. Pottman: 49
  3. Kor_Bro: 49
  4. Cl0udkid: 38
  5. Veggie: 34
  6. MajorTom12466: 34
  7. Enahsian: 31
  8. Emoticone11: 31
  9. CaptScribble: 30
  10. GeneralMcNuggets: 26
WHITE HARBOR TOP BUILDERS (CITY)
  1. Pottman: 43
  2. MajorTom12466: 34
  3. Veggie: 34
  4. CaptScribble: 30
  5. Ammika: 29
  6. Enahsian: 29
  7. Kor_Bro: 25
  8. GeneralMcNuggets: 24
  9. padrao1796: 20
  10. jmcmarq: 18
WHITE HARBOR TOP BUILDERS (SPRAWL)
  1. Ammika: 58
  2. Cl0udkid: 34
  3. Kor_Bro: 24
  4. Emoticone11: 18
  5. CashBanks: 15
  6. IronGentleGiant: 14
  7. GrayJedi: 13
  8. JohanKR850: 12
  9. AeksioOndos: 11
  10. Lyliana: 10

Special thanks to Emot, for taking over this project when I had burned myself out. The project turned out better under your regime than mine!

To Kor for the amazing forests and rivers surrounding the city. You brought the city to life.

To Lyliana for agreeing to plot huge swaths of sprawl immediately after returning from a multi-year hiatus. Didn't miss a beat.

To Ammika and all the other top builders for hammering out houses despite the rather monotonous style.

To Veggie, because he'll be upset if I don't

To everyone who built in the city proper, for putting up with my control freak melons.

To all the WC oldheads still haunting the server, for the memories

And to anyone I've neglected to mention, either because it's been three years or I just don't know (yet)!

On to Oldtown baby let's get this bread!!!!!!!!!!! EIGHT MORE YEARS! EIGHT MORE YEARS!

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
what no I'm not crying it's just rain

Anyways, I just wanted to add that doing the thick pine forests, barrows, and bogs around White Harbor (with my trusty Kor) was genuinely some of the most fun I've had on here. Glad I had the chance to see it to completion, and definitely would not have been able to do it without the vision set by SMP!

For anyone who's interested in the WH aesthetic and wants to try their hand at it, I want to point out an immersion build possibility at /warp wh5, across the river from White Harbor (but not formally part of WH lands, we've decided). This should consist of a hamlet (accessible by a ferry to the north of WH at /warp wh4), fields, and perhaps a small septry/hospital complex. @Enah made a plotting map of it at one point, available here. If anyone is interested in applying for this at some point, the process is the same as the standard immersion build application.

Just one more thing for the logistically minded: I don't plan to initiate a full post-approval of the project, since I was very thorough during the approval cycles I did during the project, and I don't think it's necessary. I do, however, want to allow the community to get involved in post-completion quality control:

First, I'll offer the following deal: I'll make a free building (or some other task of roughly equivalent effort) at the project (or future project) of anyone who is able to find something in White Harbor which is unfinished/incomplete. It has to be obviously incomplete, though, not just something like "these interiors feel a bit too empty". It also has to be within the project borders, as drawn out in the maps above.

Secondly, I've opened up this thread for anyone in the community to be able to bring up specific quality concerns for anywhere in White Harbor, so that they can potentially be addressed. As with any city build, the areas built at the beginning can sometimes get outdated by the areas built later in the process, which isn't good. If you think any areas look a bit shabby, bring it up so we can see if it can be improved.

Otherwise,
Full steam ahead to Oldtown!

Last edited: