VonSchwarzenberg Builder Application

Romania

Primarily on YouTube, by watching the WesterosCraft Walks, about 1,5-2 years ago. I believe on facebook as well, in some article.

The Tolkien Saga (LOTR, Hobbit, Silmarillion, Children of Hurin, Unfinished Tales, etc.)

Game of Thrones
Clash of Kings
Storm of Swords
Feast for Crows
Dance of Dragons
Winds of Winter
All of the above

Season 1
Season 2
Season 3
Season 4
Season 5
Season 6
Season 7
All of the above

I have a number of favourite characters, but as of now, I'd say Sandor Clegane.
He has changed a lot. He redeemed himself. And that really makes him into my favourite character.
I also love his blunt way of being. Fits well with the persona.

I'm a history nerd, especially of the medieval era, so I'd say there might be little bits and pieces of knowledge that might come in handy during your projects.

I've got a great longing to live and be part of the medieval times. That's why most of my games are built around this theme, that's why I'm waiting for Kingdom Come:Deliverance to launch.
And as far as I can tell, your rendition of Westeros is incredibly realistic and well thought-out.
And, if I am deemed skilled enough, I'd like to put in time and passion and help.

https://imgur.com/a/8kSQc

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW

Reactions: SchmiedOlaf
Btw is my imgur link working? I've got a feeling that it's not working properly. I've seen that the other posts have some sort of preview with the pictures.
Hope I'm doing this right :))

Arkilstorm

Dowager Countess of Grantham
Staff member
Hi Von,

Thank you for your application. We do ask that you create a house in a style you believe would fit in with the server. Your application shows a holdfast and a small house, but there are no detail shots of the house. I'm not going to give feedback on the holdfast as it doesn't meet the requirements of the application. If you can submit detailed shots of your house, than I can give appropriate feedback, or if you wish, build another house in the style of our server. Thanks!

Reactions: VonSchwarzenberg

Arkilstorm

Staff member
Hey Von, thanks for updating the album for me. Here's my feedback on the house:

- Firstly, please avoid using trapdoors for anything other than as a trapdoor. We have half-door blocks which can be used to cover the sides of other blocks, as you used on the shed.

- Your chimneystack has no chimney pot/pots to divert the smoke away.

- I’m not sure why there’s a chunk of thatch missing above the window?

- Most houses wouldn’t grow their own grain. The addition of a little garden is nice, but be sure that the crops you put in the garden are not only realistic for the region but that they also meet the realistic needs of the family that lives there.

- Nicely done with the interiors, especially ensuring the roof is supported properly.

Overall the house is nicely proportioned and the interior seems nice. For your first challenge build, please build a house in the style of /warp LHT. I don’t mind which house style you choose, but I’d prefer you chose a house with a small shop. Once you’ve completed the house, please paste a link to the imagur gallery in this thread.

Thanks, and good luck!

Arkilstorm

Staff member
Please don't bump this thread after a couple of days. It's the weekend, and so my schedule is unpredictable. I'll take a look at this tomorrow if I have time, if not you'll hear from me Monday. Please have patience; in the mean time, feel free to explore the server and practice some building on your own in Single Player.

Arkilstorm

Staff member
Hey Von,

Great build! Nicely executed, but a few little things for you to look at:

- Try not to use barrels as privies, they just look a bit cumbersome, and really would be awful to clean out. You can use the hollow hoppers, or the red pots, as good examples.

- As I mentioned before, please don’t use trap doors for anything other than trapdoors. Using them as shelves doesn’t look that great, and anyone can click them and cause the items above them to be left hovering.

- In your basement you have exposed stone, which looks a little plain. Consider using a dirt/gravel mix for flooring in basements, perhaps with some dark Stormlands cobble included.

- If your basement level is below a stone floor above, the basement must be vaulted to support the stone above, otherwise it is unsupported and would collapse in on itself. Look at the basements in Fairmarket for good examples of vaulted ceilings.

- Your exteriors are nice, and I like the idea of the large glass window, but consider making it one block narrower, as it is incredibly large, which is a little strange for a house of this size/class/location.

- The layout of the interiors is nice, however in the bedroom, the bed cannot be touching the fireplace, this is a fire hazard waiting to happen. Try and make sure that the location of chimneys and rooms are set out before you begin building the walls, so you don’t end up with really crammed spaces that look like afterthoughts. Especially considering how big the paperwork area is, this could easily be smaller to make room for a bedroom or two.

- With your chimney, try and mix the other red brick texture into it. Walls or chimneys should never be made with just one type of brick, as it looks unrealistic.

- Make sure your knife block by the kitchen table doesn’t have more than one side showing.

- By your stall, in the last picture, I can see a dirt block visible in your buildings wall.

Overall this is a really great house, that could do with just a couple of tweaks, but nothing fundamentally wrong with it. Nicely done! For your next challenge, please build a low-middle class house in the style of Woodwright. These are the houses that have jungle wood or thatch roofing, with high, steep roofs.

Good Luck!

Reactions: Wazgamer
Here it is. Low-Middle class house, Woodwright style, for 2 people. Fun build ^^
Btw, the roof isn't plain/str8, I made sure to make it look more natural, but on one or two screens it appears plain, because they were taken during different stages of building/detailing.

Last edited:
Reactions: shel

Arkilstorm

Staff member
Hey Von,

A really nice build, with lots of the little details adhered to! Just a couple of points:

- Your palette is a little messy; cobble shouldn’t really be touching light pink reach brick. Look at the other houses in the project, and notice that the palette usually goes Cobble > Brick > Small light brick > Light stone. This transition gives a natural weathering effect, which should be observed in order to maintain consistency.

- Your house doesn’t have any shutters on any of the windows.

- The interior downstairs is nice, but consider adding thatch blocks into the floor, amongst the thatch carpet, in order to get a nice full thatch carpet covering, even beneath chairs and tables.

- Try not to use too many glass flagons in the house. These really should be reserved for higher-class houses, as the cost of them was very expensive.

That's about it! For your third challenge, please build a middle class grocer's house in the style of /warp Fairmarket. These are some of the toughest houses to build on the server, so I'd suggest you really explore the town first, and then look at how the town is built. Estoop may still have the style guide for the houses on his plot, for you to take a look at, if you need any more information.

Good Luck!

Thank you Ark!
Aaaaand challenge completed. You were right, this one was tougher than the rest, but fun and nice nonetheless.
Throughout the screenshots you'll see yellow wool around parts of the house-it represents the other houses or structures, since FM's house density is pretty high.
Here and there you might see portions of plain wall, without a bit of detailling. That was during the building process. The details can be seen in the screens of the proper, finished house.

Here it is:

Arkilstorm

Staff member
When you asked if the building in FM was a grocer, I assumed you wanted to know because you wanted to know how the shop/contents should look. I didn’t realise you would take my answer to literally. This is a well done house, but it is literally a mirror image of the existing one, but with very subtle differences. I don’t have any feedback on this house, because it is just so similar to the existing one on the main square, right down to the colouring.

With this in mind I’m going to ask you to do another shop in Fairmarket, but this time, I want you to make the frontage at least 7-blocks wide, so you have space to plan proper rooms. This time, please can you do a middle class weaver.

Thanks

Here it is.
I imagined it to be a fairly wealthy weaver, but still middle class. Higher middle class maybe. That being the case, he affords to also dye at least part of the textiles he produces, in the colours green and red, for which he uses madder root and greenweed, which he also grows himself. An employee does the dyeing.

His wife operates the loom and is being helped by the daughter.

Hopefully it's good ^^
Btw, the small corrections I mentioned on the server were changes to the facade, by adding supports over the windows, and changing the way the textiles are being dried.

Last edited:

Arkilstorm

Staff member
Hey Von,

Having spoken to you about your build in game, all seems to be in order.
I'm approving your application, so welcome to the team!

Next step is Probation! Please create a Probation thread in the subforum of the same name. You should post all the co-ordinates and nearby warp of all builds you do for the next month! I'll continue as your probation Builder and give you regular feedback.

Have fun!