Vinnie

Playwright
What is your Minecraft username?
zizuo123

What is your age?
21-24

In what country are you living?
United States of America

Where did you first hear about WesterosCraft?
Youtube

What do you like the most about GoT/ASoIaF?
I can't get enough of game of thrones! I started watching the TV series back in 2017 and have been hooked ever since. I have since read AGOT and ACOK and I intend to read the remaining books as well. My favorite character is hands-down Cersei. I think the best part of the books/ TV show are their well written foils. I love Cersei's bad attitude and razor-sharp insults when she's dealing with Tyrion or Sansa. I (personally) feel that Cersei is more brash and impulsive in the books as compared to Lena Headey's portrayal, which I think is more calculated and clever. Both have really fantastic moments, however. And of course, I love George R.R. Martin's use of scenery and setting. It's been amazing walking around on the server, watching it come to life.

What is your favorite build on our server?
Im quite fond of the Red Keep. Mainly because I am so amazed with all the details you have included from the books. I remember reading the chapter where Arya escapes the Red Keep and going back on the server and retracing her movements and thinking how amazing it was that everything described was all there. Additionally, I really like Duskendale as well. I love the gloomy color palette and the layout. Truly amazing.

Why do you want to join our server?
I have been a guest on the server for almost a year now and it has been one of my favorite places to explore and relax when I'm on my computer. Being able to escape to the server has also helped a lot with cabin fever during Covid. Additionally, I love historic architecture (especially castles) and I love the more realistic direction the build style has been taking recently. I would love the opportunity to aid in emulating this new style and to learn better ways to build in Minecraft. Ive always been a hardcore creative mode guy since I started playing Minecraft at the age of 14 and I think ya'll will be really pleased with what I can offer as a builder.

Tell us about your build.
Here you can see that I have built a 3-story medieval town home complete with workshop, attic, and back garden. The format of my build is largely based off of other town homes in Highgarden. I chose the orange daub and wattle simply because I haven't seen a lot of it yet on the server and I just really like the color orange. I also took inspiration from pictures of houses in Colmar France. Many of the images I found depicted vividly colored daub and wattle houses and I feel my build is sufficiently representative of this style. I chose to incorporate a cobbler's shop (for no particular reason) and I have tried to include everything a respectable tradesman might need. The house includes a main bedroom, a small bedroom (for children or apprentices), kitchen and living area, a vegetable garden round back, and an attic for ample storage. I imagine my resident might be a fortunate family-man of the burgeoning middle-class who gets by on an honest living. I could perhaps see this humble house in the Westerlands or maybe the Arbor. Either way, he makes his customers happy with quality shoes, and a charming, brightly-colored abode.

Exterior 1 (framed).pngExterior 2 (self).pngExterior 3 (front-view).pngExterior 4 (rear-view).pngExterior 5 (garden).pngInterior 1 (work-space).pngInterior 2 (kitchen).pngInterior 3 (bedroom-1).pnginterior 4 (bedroom-2).pngInterior 5 (attic).png

Did you follow the application rules?
You know nothing, Jon Snow.

thecoddfish

Emissary
Staff member
Hi Vinne,

Great job with the application! It's always great to see long time lurkers make the plunge.

Some brief feedback:
  • I can't argue the real life inspiration for this build, but it doesn't yet fit into any build on the server. The Stormlands cobble roof in particular is a bit odd looking.
  • Cabinet blocks should be covered on their redundant sides
  • Straw on the floor should be less patchy
Overall you've done a really good job though. For your first challenge build I would like to see you make a 2 storey (plus attic) house in the style of /warp duskendale. You can put up some wool walls to demonstrate how the house interacts with the adjacent buildings. Focus in particular on creating a sensible and logical interior layout including the fireplace and staircase (as I did not see the staircase of this house), and sticking to the stylistic features present in the town. My advice would be to create an odd-number sized plot facade, and then to plan your fireplaces, staircases and floors in that order.

Good luck!

Vinnie

Playwright
Hey Codd!

Thanks for your reply and the feedback. It's so cool to be interacting with builders for the first time on the server. :D

Anyway, without further ado, I present to you my Duskendale challenge: (attached files below)

exterior_1_selfie.pngexterior_2_front.pngexterior_3_back.pnghouseplan_floor_1.pnghouseplan_floor_2.pnginterior_1_hearth.pnginterior_2_living area.pnginterior_3_small bedroom.pnginterior_4 main bedroom .pnginterior_5_attic.png

So, I hope I have done some justice to your feedback and to the style of Duskendale (no more patchy straw, a pointier roof, etc).
Also, I figured I would just build a normal residential house. For some background, I thought the resident here might be some kind of middle-class dude who works for "the man" doing tax collection or some kind of boring medieval administration. Thus his house isn't too big or too small, the primary living space is on the ground floor, he only has one kid (one additional bed) because he doesn't require any assistance with his living, and his house is relatively put together (He has some fine things like nice flowers and a fancy screen). Anyway, I made sure to include a cross section of the first and second floors so you can get a better idea of how I executed my layout. Oh and lastly, when I was uploading my images, I realized I forgot to add a chimney on the roof! (-_-') I have since added one but I was too lazy to take more screenshots. Just imagine one on the left side of the roof for me.

Anyway, hope you like it!

thecoddfish

Emissary
Staff member
Hi Vinnie,

Really good job on this house. I am unfortunately away for the next week, but will get back to you with proper feedback soon. One passing comment is the interiors aren't very low medieval, but overall it's a really great effort. For your next challenge, I would like to see you build a house in the style of Tumbleton. Focus particularly on keeping the interiors realistic and poor - I often find looking up paintings of peasant houses can be great inspiration.

Good luck!

Reactions: SseriousBusiness

Vinnie

Playwright
Hey Codd!

No worries. Had exams this week and last, myself. No hurry.

Any who, got my Tumbleton challenge for ya. I went for a wee medieval tavern cuz I was finding a lot of image results online. I added some markings to clarify layout. Hope I get a passing grade.

Thanks in advance:D
1_exterior_front.png2_exterior_back.png3_interior_tavern.png4_interior_storeroom .png5_interior_floor2.png6_interior_bedroom2.png7_interior_bedroom1.png8_interior_floor3.png9_interior_bedroom3.png10_interior_bedroom4.png

thecoddfish

Emissary
Staff member
Hey Vinnie,

I am very impressed with what you have put forward. You've done a wonderful job, and you've shown an admirable aptitude for picking up on the specifics of the server style. On this basis I am happy to approve your application to be a builder.

If I had any feedback from this house, it would be that the stools could have a backing to them (for example, with the wattle block or the halfdoor blocks) and the thatch roof feels a little unsupported in patches, but I can't fault the rest - thought it would have been nice to see how you utilised the yard! Never forget that detailing the outsides of a building (including the road and the garden) are what can turn a good build into a great one.

Congratulations! Feel free to ask a moderator in game to promote you to builder. Make sure you also read the new builder guide found here: http://westeroscraft.wikia.com/wiki/Newbie_guide

The next step is to complete your probation period, as detailed in the newbie guide. A probation leader should ideally get in contact with you within a week to provide feedback.

I look forward to seeing you in game. Good luck!

Vinnie

Playwright
Hey Codd!
Thanks so much! It feels so amazing to be apart of the server officially. I can’t wait to start probation! I’ve really enjoyed corresponding with you and I appreciate all your fantastic feedback.
This server is awesome and and I’m so impressed with all the builders who bring it to life. I look forward to witnessing it evolve and expand and, one day, being completed.

See you around the server!

Reactions: DutchGuard

Luk

Gullible
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Welcome Vinnnie!

I have to say, that tumbleton house looks great :)
Please, when you are online, build at Tumbleton UwU

The plots marked with green concrete are open

Reactions: DutchGuard