Vaegon_ Builder Application

Vaegon_

Mummer

France

I here about it on a French website about minecraft.

Yes I have. I like Asimov and Tolkien for SF books. Tarkovski is one of my favorite movie director for the SF and medieval movies.

All of the above

All of the above

My favorite character is probably Lord Baelish (Littlefinger). It could seems strange but in fact he is more than the Westeros-known compulsive plotter. Littlefinger is the only poor man who will grow-up in this novel, and not by his inheritance but by his skills and volition. By his sheer will, Littlefinger will start from a small tower on the coast to the lure of Harrenhal. He is maybe the most amitious and smart character of ASOIAF.

Your team is already plentiful of talented builders. But I promise to be more than a builder : with my love of the ASOIAF's history, my eclectics interests, I could be a frenchy eye within your team. I would particularly like to build between the main house castle and towns (the immersion build project). Moreover I love the medieval history and will probably study it next year. So I really understand how the life in the medieval time was (architecure, social structure...).

When I have discovered Westeroscraft years ago I was still reading the ASOIF's books and GOT was still a young series. All over my minecraft experience Westeroscraft was a kind of role-model for my architecture. Indeed, in all of the servers were I worked I always tried to emulate Westeroscraft (19centurycraft for instance). In all of my visits I was astonished not only by the huge work but also by the amounts of details. Westeroscraft is for me the best minecraft server for builder (why ? Because I could build different architecture's style and building with a variety of scale). I'm first in love of the terraforming : the entire continent is perfectly generated. Then Westeros Blocks adds plenty of furnitures which make the server and its architecture unique. In my opinion, the amount of small hamlets, lonely fortress form the most beautiful minecraft building. I would be joyful to help you to finish Westeros (and maybe start Essos) !

YOU KNOW NOTHING JON SNOW

Last edited:

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hi Vaegon,
Thanks for your interest in the server and as a clear fan of Game of Thrones you've come to the right place.

I've taken a look at your house and on the whole, it's a really good start. You've clearly got some skill with design and thinking through what that kind of house would logically need and shown some creativity with the range of blocks you've used. As you become acquainted with the server and our building styles you'll become more familiar with the kinds of blocks we would typically use on the average build.

I've just made a few notes on where the house can be improved which should be helpful on your next challenge.
- We generally just use one color our thatch for house roofs, no need to mix in the dark thatch with the light thatch.
- I really like all the details in the garden and inside the houes.
- Though builders are encouraged to use a variety of stone brick blocks in houses, it's best to keep them to same block family, and use that consistently through the house. In this example 70% of the stone brick base is a mix of sandstone, but then there is some orange brick's mixed in. The orange brick clashes with the sandstone and they don't really fit naturally together, best option would be to just chose one and use it through the whole house.
- Daub looks best when it is used in symmetrical patterns that frame the house like here for example

Also, bricks should never be on top of daub blocks, brick/stone foundations should be a clear separate layer from the daub above it.
7FCLGu6.png

You could also use a cabbage block here instead of the herbs since they're not hanging from anything.
z0gGoSU.png

Aside from those minor notes, great work, if you haven't already, take a look at http://westeroscraft.wikia.com/wiki/Basic_Building_Guide_for_Applicants as well as /warp furnish for more tips.

For the first challenge build, please make an average sized Low Class house in the style of /warp hawthornetown and share screenshots of it in this thread. Please take your time to study the style in detail, and make sure to ask if you have any questions on the above feedback or the hawthornetown style. Good luck!

Vaegon_

Mummer
Hi, thanks for your detailed and instructive advice. I'm starting the challenge build and will post it on the feed.

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Vaegon, thanks for completing the this first challenge, that's a very nice house!
- All the interior details are nice and suited to the low class style of hawthorne (though I wonder about storing a chicken up in the dusty rafters XD)
- Yard looks good too, I like the garden and all the small touches.
- Main point of feedback is to make sure to use a mix of brick varieties in the stone foundations/yard wall. Hawthorne used a mix of about 4 different sandstones
usLskxh.png

- and with the mezzanine platform level, what you've done is fine and I've seen it on other Hawthorne houses so not your fault, but as a general note when adding second stories/platforms/balconies etc it's good to use lines of stairs to make rafters like here:
L1gIqIB.png

Overall though, great job. For your next challenge, please build a middle class house in the style of /warp whsprawl. Take a look at the styleguide at the warp and the finished houses in the White Harbor area and give the house some kind of profession that would make sense in White Harbor (e.g. carpenter/cooper/baker/boat builder, netmaker). Note in the post which profession you go with as well.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Good luck!

Vaegon_

Mummer
Hey, here it is my second challenge completed, altough I have encountered some difficulties. First, the cobblestone is slightly more bright on solo mod (I have balanced it with light grey stone). Then, some blocks do not functiun on solo mode (see second image).

I have chose to build a tailor house of the White arbor area. His name is Jacquemus (the French touch) and he is from the three sisters island. Freshly arrived in White arbor he hasn't still have enough money to buy a house inside the walls. So he bought this small middle class house near the main gate of the city. Inside you can see his work table at the second stair, the place where the colors are make (the small place with a furnace). Moreover you can see an extract of his future work on a wall for a knight's mistress : a coat with stars. I'v tried to make a realistic house and shop.

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Nice job, overall, this is looking good, giving a story to the occupant always helps with giving some life and character to the house and inspire design choices. I've only got a few points of feedback.
- Layout/block palette is all WH appropriate, the thing with the bright cobblestone is from the biome, as our blocks change color depending on what biome they're in. Looks like this house was built in the Plains biome, whereas WH is in Extreme Hills.

- Try to make sure that cabinet/drawer/bookshelf blocks only have one side exposed, you can use half door blocks to cover it up.
Q7tVZ0a.png

S9iG2yo.png

- The front signage block should also work in singleplayer, you just need to stack two of the sign blocks on top of each other.

Overall though you're making really good progress, so well done. For your next challenge, please build a middle class house in the style of /warp hgtown. As with WH the house should have a profession/business on their bottom level e.g. carpenter/baker/blacksmith.

Highgarden has a lot of fluidity in it’s style, so pick a house that will challenge you.

Thanks

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Vaegon,
Another good effort; the shape, layout and block palette are all in keeping with the highgarden style.

Jewellery maker is a good choice for the area, i'd just note that any kind of professional metal worker might have a bit more equipment/furnaces and work area, you can see an example of a silversmith at /warp jobs
mtEaFYC.png

- You've used the right blocks for the foundation stone, I'd just suggest working on the gradient a little more, here's how it's demonstrated in the style guide:
W1Bn9vD.png

Notice how it goes from cobble > reach light stone > light stone > brownish white plaster.

When you have a gradient like this, rule of thumb is to make sure the darker cobblestone blocks aren't adjacent to the lighter stone/plaster.

- Carpet blocks also go in the windows, e.g.
dP3B2VH.png

Next up, please make a tavern in the style of White Harbor. Good luck!

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Vaegon,
This is looking good, I'm happy with shape/layout and the interior details. I think the stone gradient could be improved a little bit with making sure the right blocks are next to each other like this:

1560570752413.png
1560570765701.png

1560570908050.png
That front entrance also doesn't look quite finished, there should be a gravel/dirt path leading to it and there should be some doors on as well.

But otherwise this is looking good, I think at this point you'll learn more from being an actual builder, so consider yourself approved!

The next step is to contact a mod in-game to promote you to New Builder. Please make sure to read the New Builder guide here: http://westeroscraft.wikia.com/wiki/Newbie_guide

And also make a probation thread in the probation forum. You can start building at any open locations on the server - you can find these at /warp build, although it's sometimes outdated, so I would also recommend just asking people in-game and checking the forums for recent project happenings.

A probie leader should post on your thread within a week or so and continue to give you constructive feedback on your houses for the next month (and help be your entrypoint into the server community in general), although as sometimes the probie leaders are busy IRL, I would also encourage you to seek feedback from project leaders and other builders/mods. At the end, you'll be made full builder assuming everything goes smoothly.

Welcome to the team and I'll see you in Westeros!