UpstageUK Builder Application

UpstageUK

Mummer

United Kingdom

Google Search for Game of Thrones Minecraft

Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit.

Game of Thrones, Clash of Kings, Storm of Swords, Feast for Crows, Dance of Dragons

Season 1, Season 2, Season 3, Season 4, Season 5, Season 6, Season 7

Bronn of the Blackwater, he is a very funny character and also a serious, deadly warrior at the same time, this makes him a well developed, brilliant character.

I can work in a team or Solo. I have experience with World Edit. I am a friendly person who can adapt to different styles or builds and I can put a good bit of time in.

I recently joined the server and I was blown away by this amazing project. I realised straight away that I want to be a part of this. I want to develop my building skills and make some friends along the way! In addition I would love a good old challenge and I can improve!

https://imgur.com/gallery/i0pLgDZ - I Have tried to make a northern, more self-sufficient house that would be near the wall. Admittedly I have realised Bookshelves aren't so good for a population who are widely illiterate but this is something I will change.

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Upstage,
Thanks for your interest in the server and for your patience while we got to your application.
You're on the right track with this one, I can see you've put thought into the house and explored the server for inspiration.

I've just got a handful of suggested improvements that'll help with your future builds.
The shape and overall style of the house is close to some of houses you might see in the North, so you've done well to emulate it - I'll just give you a heads up though that use of the full log blocks has sort of fallen out of fashion on the server, they tend to look a little bulky/monotone when used in large numbers, and other wooden/stone/daub blocks give more options and variety.
When designing structural points of the house, try to ask yourself what's holding this block up. Those stone bricks are heavy and would need to have some kind of support to hold them up there, best bet would just be to remove them and imply that the wooden logs are at an angle.

As you've noted, bookshelves would be very uncommon in Westeros, likely only to be found in rich castles/high class houses/septries. When thinking about the interior details of a house, it's best to start with their profession and dedicate the ground floor of their house to their professions work area. E.g. a baker would have their bakery/kitchen on the ground floor, a carpenter would have their workshop etc. Then use the remaining space in the house to create a kitchen/eating area and space for beds.
There's definitely a few too many garlics/herbs hanging from the ceiling as well, try to limit to just one of each and use other blocks to add more detail.

Here are some examples of interior details in the Northern White Harbor style, notice how to create the second floor, instead of the flat planks, they've used rows of stairs to create rafters.

Once you get the hang of our building style you'll be making immersive and interesting houses in no time.

For your first challenge build, please make a Low Class Farmer's house in the style of /warp hawthornetown and share screenshots of it in this thread. Take note of commonalities between the houses (block mix, shape of roof, size of house, interior blocks, attic spaces, mezzanine platforms) and make a house that would fit into the Hawthorne town.

Also, if you haven't already, take a look a the Basic Building Guide for some more points, examples and Do's and Don'ts that will help on future builds.

Please take your time to study the style in detail, and make sure to ask if you have any questions on the above feedback or the hawthornetown style.

Good luck!

UpstageUK

Mummer
Hey! I am sorry I didnt reply earlier, I did 3 iterations of this until I was happiest. I really enjoyed this and am looking forward to your input on this!

-
Upstage

UpstageUK

Mummer
I have slightly adjusted the house to fix some problems that were mentioned, I forgot to mention in the Imgur posts that I got the stone at the bottom wrong, I have fixed it now, anything not shown in this are the same as the first post.
Thanks!

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Upstage, thanks for completing this Hawthorne house.
Well done with capturing the hawthorne style, as well as the choice of class appropriate blocks.
- The interior details are looking good- main point I'd just suggest is to add a few more stair/half door blocks to the interior of the roof adding a few to show a bit more structural support, see how the thatch isn't even visible in the example below:

- Also, you can add a little more detail to the platform mezzanine level by using stair blocks to create the effect of crossbeam rafters, rather than the full cube plank blocks.

Here's an example:

- Small point, but when plotting out the shape of the yard, it tends to look better when you give it a more square/straight line shape, we call more circular yards like you've made "bubble yards". I like the effort put into adding the wheat as well, for smaller yards you can use vegetable blocks like carrots/turnips/cabbage as well.

Overall though well done. For your next challenge, please build a middle class house in the style of /warp whsprawl. Houses in large towns will usually have a profession on their on the ground floor, take a look at the styleguide at the /warp oldstyleguides and the finished houses in the White Harbor area for inspiration, and give the house some kind of profession that would make sense in White Harbor (e.g. carpenter/cooper/blacksmith/boat builder, netmaker etc).

Note in the post which profession you go with as well.

Good luck!

Attachments

• 1590551872958.png
    1590551872958.png
    739.1 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: DutchGuard

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey, sorry for the delay - you're right I don't think I was getting notifications, the forums have been getting some upgrades and it might've been affected sorry.
The overall look and feel of the house is looking good and consistent with the white harbor style.
- As a general note it's probably a good idea to try and keep the meal and kitchen space in the same area (bringing food cooked in the kitchen all the way up to the top floor to eat would be a bit of a pain).
- Just be careful with making sure you cover up those roof tile blocks with stairs and half doors - it can be tricky to fit the stairs/half doors up there with other furniture items so that's why it can be good to just use attic spaces for sleeping areas/storage.
1591674252851.png
- Try to make sure blocks like bookcases only have one side exposed as well, can use half doors to cover up the other sides.
1591673818679.png
- The interior detailing is otherwise looking good, you can add patches of dark thatch carpet blocks around sleeping areas to create rugs as well.

For your next challenge, please build a middle class house in the style of Highgarden, (take a look around /warp hgtown ). As with this White Harbor house, it should have a profession/business on the bottom level e.g. carpenter/wine merchant/tailor/blacksmith, and a yard would be great as well.

Thanks!

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Thanks Upstage, well done with this, you've shown some great improvement and have done well with this Highgarden tailor.
I'm happy with how you've approached the exterior style and interior details.
I'd just note that with the exterior stone mix, I can see that you've mixed cobblestone and grey stone bricks, though the brick pattern looks fine you'll notice that those bricks have a slightly greyer color than the Reach bricks next to time. I think you'll find that around Highgarden the stone mix is almost entirely from the Reach colorset, can take a look here for an example.
1592198100893.png
Also just with the chimney, you can feel free to trim them down a bit in future, they generally don't need to be bigger than 1x1 or 1x2
1592197667437.png
Thanks for adding the yard as well, the various crops are nice (it's good to add 1 or 2 random shrub/grass blocks n the carrots to just add a little randomness to them). I'd probably just cut the change in ground level under the carrots/cabbage by the house so that it's all flat and neat.
1592197557856.png

Otherwise I think at this point you'll learn more from being an actual builder, so consider yourself approved!

Please make sure to read the New Builder guide here: http://westeroscraft.wikia.com/wiki/Newbie_guide
We're also working on an updated version here.

The next step is to make a probation thread in the Probation Forum. You can start building at any open locations on the server - you can find a list of these at /warp build, although it's sometimes outdated, so I would also recommend just asking people in-game and checking the forums for recent project happenings.

A probie leader should post on your thread within a week or so and continue to give you constructive feedback on your houses for the next month (and help be your entrypoint into the server community in general), although as sometimes the probie leaders are busy IRL you may need to be patient while they find the time to respond to you. But message me again if a probie leader hasn't contacted you within two weeks, or if they're taking a while to respond. I would also encourage you to seek feedback from project leaders and other builders/mods. At the end, you'll be made full builder assuming everything goes smoothly.

I'd suggest you also start thinking about what projects you might like to work on, we encourage new builders to first work on "mini-projects" which are small one off areas of other projects, e.g. a hamlet, mill, quarry, and flagged as open for mini-apps by the project leader. Once you've done a few of these you'll be able to apply for a full project.

Make sure to stay in touch and let us know if there's any way we can keep you busy.

Welcome aboard and I'll see you in Westeros!