Approved Update Application - KL16b

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Overall your plans look pretty solid!

One thing I'm wondering about is how you plan to do the manses in the district? Will you adopt the same style that was used for the manses in KL8? Will these be marked as special builds (the ones that aren't reserved anyways)?

Also, I'm assuming you plan to use the same road style as in KL8?

Reactions: 7JG7 and Finn01

7JG7

Playwright
Overall your plans look pretty solid!

One thing I'm wondering about is how you plan to do the manses in the district? Will you adopt the same style that was used for the manses in KL8? Will these be marked as special builds (the ones that aren't reserved anyways)?

Also, I'm assuming you plan to use the same road style as in KL

There are only two manses in our district, both of which have reservations/right of claim for when current active builders have previously built them. There will also be a very high-end jewellers in the same style of the manses for someone to attempt as a special. Overall they will all be in the same style as the manses found in KL8. The roads will also be in the same style as KL8 and testing can be found in front of our house tests :)

7JG7

Playwright
Oh I also forgot to mention that the glass blowers guild will is also reserved, but classed as a special build!

Reactions: Finn01

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
I have a bit of feedback on the plotting after taking a closer look & discussing with the KL team. Some of the shapes currently don't flow together very well at the moment, the main examples being some of the diagonal plots wedged between two normal plots, as well as the row of plots along the left side street that alternate depth in a strange manner (I've circled these below):

Screenshot 2024-01-04 04.56.21.png

I would also suggest removing most of the alleyways apart from one or two needed to access the glassblower yard.

Since it's a pretty small district, I wouldn't be afraid to change the original plotting as long as you follow the original street layouts - reworking some of the existing plot shapes should allow you to make the plots flow a bit better. You might use some of the maps here for inspiration: https://forum.westeroscraft.com/threads/kl-plotting-inspiration.3861/

Lastly, given the importance of the glassblower yard for the district, could you elaborate a bit more on your plans for that/perhaps provide a small test?

Once you address those things I'll be happy to approve!

Im happy to elaborate the glassblowing more and make a first proper design for a central european glassblower in bigger scale.
Till now theres only 1 up to date glassblower which is mediteranean inspired and uses different materials to process.
Ill check out in the next days ingame what you reserved for plotting and more.
Let me know when you need more information around this topic, i can make a proper post like the one for KL3 in the future.

Finn01

Envoy
I would also suggest removing most of the alleyways apart from one or two needed to access the glassblower yard.

Since it's a pretty small district, I wouldn't be afraid to change the original plotting as long as you follow the original street layouts - reworking some of the existing plot shapes should allow you to make the plots flow a bit better. You might use some of the maps here for inspiration: https://forum.westeroscraft.com/threads/kl-plotting-inspiration.3861/

Lastly, given the importance of the glassblower yard for the district, could you elaborate a bit more on your plans for that/perhaps provide a small test?

Once you address those things I'll be happy to approve!
Hello again,

7 and me have worked on the layout a bit, and we decided on how the yard will look. I've attached some images below of the glassblowers yard, and the new layout is at my plot.

Attachments

• 2024-01-08_21.11.26.png
    2024-01-08_21.11.26.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 18
  • 2024-01-08_21.12.03.png
    2024-01-08_21.12.03.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 18
  • 2024-01-08_21.22.39.png
    2024-01-08_21.22.39.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
1704809939238.jpeg
The plots for the “Glassblower” have to be designed differently.
Glassblowers, a highly respected guild, would have an assigned secure industrial area to store the ingredients and produce the glass variants.
With Kingslanding we are in the late Middle Ages where glassblowing was produced on a large scale and of excellent quality and diversity.
It's an art.
Many smaller craftsmen in this area would be involved in further processing methods.

A glass oven of this size you showed off is hardly worth it. In order to melt glass and then shape it (usually in another oven), you need a large heat source of around 1200 degrees. To ensure the quality of the glass, the environment must be protected from wind and rainproof.
There are also many other factors, materials and regional circumstances that must be taken into account.

There is already an UptoDate monasteryblower workshop at the Mermaidspalace where you can get inspiration. Please note, however, that other regional materials are used there.
The oven shapes should vary. They are very specifically adapted to the circumstances.

As mentioned above, I am happy to offer my help.

Finn01

Envoy
View attachment 18584
The plots for the “Glassblower” have to be designed differently.
Glassblowers, a highly respected guild, would have an assigned secure industrial area to store the ingredients and produce the glass variants.
With Kingslanding we are in the late Middle Ages where glassblowing was produced on a large scale and of excellent quality and diversity.
It's an art.
Many smaller craftsmen in this area would be involved in further processing methods.

A glass oven of this size you showed off is hardly worth it. In order to melt glass and then shape it (usually in another oven), you need a large heat source of around 1200 degrees. To ensure the quality of the glass, the environment must be protected from wind and rainproof.
There are also many other factors, materials and regional circumstances that must be taken into account.

There is already an UptoDate monasteryblower workshop at the Mermaidspalace where you can get inspiration. Please note, however, that other regional materials are used there.
The oven shapes should vary. They are very specifically adapted to the circumstances.

As mentioned above, I am happy to offer my help.
The image you posted is of a glassworks that was founded in 1812, wrong time period.

We did have a look at some examples of glassworks from that time period, and there are a lot of examples of smaller ovens (attached below). We will probably move the ovens back indoors to shelter them from the elements rather than having them outside, that would make sense. There's an old glassworks in KL currently that's a bit outdated but good that we've been looking at as well.

Attachments

• glassblowers 2.png
    glassblowers 2.png
    127.9 KB · Views: 5
  • glassblowers 1.png
    glassblowers 1.png
    117.5 KB · Views: 5
  • a-Depiction-of-a-medieval-glass-furnace-showing-the-quarrying-of-sand-in-a-landscape.jpg
    a-Depiction-of-a-medieval-glass-furnace-showing-the-quarrying-of-sand-in-a-landscape.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 5
  • glassblowing 3.jpg
    glassblowing 3.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 4
  • glassblowing 4.png
    glassblowing 4.png
    214.3 KB · Views: 5
I am aware that this picture comes from a different time. It is an illustration by Dominik Siegwart of the glassworks near me in the south BF/Alpes. I hope it didnt gave you too much distraction. The high hall, the beamwork and the shared workspaces can be used as basic inspiration for the guild.

It's a good idea for small craftsmen and artists as I described to use smaller ovens like you pinned.
Nevertheless, larger, more functional ovens would also be needed for flat glass production.
Play around with multiple designs and show thats it has a special purpose and doesnt feels like a normal kiln/furnance.
Unfortunately, there are hardly any records of bigger reconstructions apart from Roman or ancient illustrations.
It would be worth to research there deeper, let me know when i can do something for that.

Last edited:

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
The new plotting looks good to me. I think there's some room to play around with the exact furnace designs. One thing I'd suggest is decreasing the number of walls within the yard and creating more shared spaces. You could for instance go for a layout where the yard is partitioned into thirds lengthwise.

Overall though you have my approval!

7JG7

Playwright
The new plotting looks good to me. I think there's some room to play around with the exact furnace designs. One thing I'd suggest is decreasing the number of walls within the yard and creating more shared spaces. You could for instance go for a layout where the yard is partitioned into thirds lengthwise.

Overall though you have my approval!
Thanks for the approval :) We look forward to developing the yard and playing around more with the furnace designs when we get the full go-ahead!

7JG7

Playwright
As Finn and I work through 16b, I've been having some thoughts to the plotting of the wider district and thought I'd share this map for the future builders of the other sub-districts in 16 to consider. I tried to really let the district flow into the rest of the city and its known canon - we know it's relatively wealthy, with many manses on large estates (cough cough Shae's) but then transitions into flea bottom. So with that here is my map (BTW individual plots are not plotted and neither are their possible courtyards/gardens):
Screen Shot 2024-01-25 at 21.46.09.png

Key:
Brown - Roads,
Dark Blue - Upper Class,
Light Blue - Middle Class,
Pink - Lower Class,
Orange - Higher Class/Manse/Guilds/Other attached properties,
Yellow - Manses' with estates,
Green - Estates/Parks,
Red Dot - Shae's Manse

Last edited: