Approved Tumbleton Redo Appeal

Luk

Gullible
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
First Battle of Tumbleton as depicted by Douglas Wheatley in Fire & Blood.

First Battle of Tumbleton as depicted by Douglas Wheatley in Fire & Blood.

Hi guys!

I am appealing for Tumbleton to be exempted from the No-Redo Rule per clause 1(b) - Inadequate Canon.

This thread is purely meant to highlight the reasons and information implying the consideration for a Redo of Tumbleton.
Any details regarding planning of the project will be addressed in a subsequent Project application thread, provided that the redo appeal is approved by the moderator team.

Canon Inconsistencies
The first substantial canon detail that comes to mind are the two dragons skulls of the dragons who fought at the Second Battle of Tumbleton that should be displayed in the town square. This is not at all represented in the current depiction of Tumbleton.
[Lady Sharis Footly] had the heads of the dragons Seasmoke and Vermithor cleaned and displayed in the town square, where travelers paid a penny to look at them, and a star to touch them.

AWOIAF (Fire & Blood, Under the Regents - The Hooded Hand)

Also it is mentioned that after the Second Battle of Tumbleton, the town walls were rebuilt. I would interpret this so that the walls would have been completely rebuilt in stone, rather than wooden palisades built ontop of a ruined wall, like it currently is.

Another thing i noticed when looking through the current town is that the density of the houses feels way too dense. The town was burned to the ground twice and its said to not have reached a tenth of the size of the old one. So i would expect much more free space inside the walls, that may be agricultural areas or the like.
The smallfolk believed the ground to be hunted and the "new town" would never be a tenth the size of the old one.

AWOIAF (Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - Rhaenyra Triumphant)

The Mander
Currently, the size of the Mander at Tumbleton is way too big, at least compared to the new Mander redo which would still need to be continued up to the source of the river.
Following that, the Mander at this point would be 11 blocks wide at the max and too shallow to hold cargo boats, especially the size of the ones currently sitting in the port.
This implies that the town could not have access to have a port.

Thank you for reading!

Luk

DutchGuard

Shadowbinder
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
I agree Luk, I think only small boats would be able to reach Tumbleton, I think they would likely bring trade downriver to Bitterbridge, and transfer cargo onto a larger vessel to continue south from there. I would suggest expanding the forest west of Farring to better disguise the headwaters of the Mander.

I'm sure you already have plans, but I would also suggest making the town fully encircled by walls, and not open to the river, as our server is wont to do. At least in England, even of the towns are near a river, they are often fully encircled. See Colchester, Chester, Bath, Exeter, Shrewsbury, and Worcester.