TheOldWold52 Builder Application

TheOldWolf52

Mummer

United States

I'm sorry to say I don't remember. I've been following the server through social media for a few years now, and have no clue how i first came in contact with it.

ASOIAF is by far my favorite, but I also really enjoyed The Witcher, LotR, and others.

Game of Thrones, Clash of Kings, Storm of Swords, Feast for Crows, Dance of Dragons, Winds of Winter

Season 1, Season 2, Season 3, Season 4, Season 5, Season 6, Season 7

Arya is a favorite and I enjoy her arc more the longer it goes on (bar the train-wreck that is the latter half of season 8) Rob Stark, if his arc was longer, would have surpassed her though. They both are complete bad asses, incredibly capable, but impulsive and stubborn. They feel like the kind of person I would like to be.

I have been building in Minecraft since 2012. During that time I worked on massive mega-builds for servers, as well as tiny plots. I used the conquest pack before metadatas were deleted, and i used the default plot. I have extensive training in classical painting and sculpture, which allows me to be more thoughtful about my aesthetic choices in game. I know world edit and voxel sniper intimately. I know the World of ASOIAF intimately, including the Dunk and Egg novellas.

I'm sorry I don't have something more eloquent to say here, but this particular truth doesn't lend itself to eloquence. It's quite simple. I think the server is really cool, and I like to be a part of cool things.

https://imgur.com/a/32ShSUZ

You know nothing, Jon Snow

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey OldWold (OldWolf?)
Thanks for your application, and for your patience while we got back to you, there's been a bit of a rush of interest and new applications so it's an exciting time to join the server, and it's great to see you have an interest in Game of Thrones, history and Minecraft so you'll be in good company here.

You've done a really nice job with this bakery, it's refreshing when an applicant takes the time to study an existing style in detail for their first build and do such a good job with emulating it.

There's really not a lot of feedback I can give since it's looking so good, you've avoided some of the usual traps like not using stairs/slabs for floodboards or high class blocks like glass, books etc in a lower class house, so well done!

As a general point I'd suggest avoiding the use of the full wooden log blocks too much since they've become a little outdated on the server - I like that you put the thought into using them to show structural support, an alternative would be to use the vertical oak wooden planks or the reach oak wood panelling wall block instead.

You can also drink a potion of nightvision to help give some more light to the interior pic screenshots.

Otherwise, keep up the good work!
For your first challenge build, please make a Low Class Farmer's house in the style of /warp hawthornetown and share screenshots of it in this thread. Take note of commonalities between the houses (block mix, shape of roof, size of house, interior blocks, attic spaces, mezzanine platforms) and make a house that would fit into the Hawthorne town. A yard would be a nice feature to include as well.

You can also take a look the Basic Building Guide if you haven't already for some more points and examples that will help on future builds.

Please take your time to study the style in detail, and make sure to ask if you have any questions on the above feedback or the hawthornetown style.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Love your work and a quick turnaround too
Another great job, I'm struggling to spot any room for improvement. Only thing i'd suggest is to swap out the sign on the back of the chair for wattle fence or a half door block, we tend not to use signs too often for non-sign related purposes these days.

For your next challenge, please build a middle class house in the style of /warp hgtown. As with your Duskendale house, it should have a profession on the ground floor, take a look at the finished houses in the Highgarden town area for inspiration, and give the house some kind of profession that would make sense in Highgarden/the Reach (e.g. potter/candle maker/carpenter/wine merchant/blacksmith etc).

Good luck!

TheOldWolf52

Mummer
Done. I wanted to try something a bit different so I made a profession I've never seen built in Westeroscraft, or any other minecraft build: an artist. It's not as wel executed as a blacksmith or butcher would be, seeing as we don't have custom blocks to outfit an artists studio , but it was a fun challenge, and I think it turned out okay. Also thought an artist studio was very befitting the ethos of High Garden. https://imgur.com/a/dGrdCNI

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Nice work, indeed artist profession houses are pretty rare so it was a great choice for Highgarden, well done!
The house style and layout looks great, I can't spot any issues, only small thing would be to keep an eye out for bookshelf/cabinet/drawer blocks with more than one side exposed like here, I can see that the oak carpet block next to it prevented you from placing a half door to cover it up which is fair enough, in those instances you can alternatively use a double basket or a sac to conceal the 2nd visible side.

1590977623002.png
The yard is looking nice and tidy as well, the flower patch for making dyes was a nice touch, feel free to scatter a few more leaf blocks around the corners and edges as well to add a little more color and greenery too.
1590977718159.png

Otherwise I like all the artist details, so I think at this point you'll learn more from being an actual builder, so consider yourself approved!

Please make sure to read the New Builder guide here: http://westeroscraft.wikia.com/wiki/Newbie_guide

The next step is to make a probation thread in the Probation Forum. You can start building at any open locations on the server - you can find a list of these at /warp build, although it's sometimes outdated, so I would also recommend just asking people in-game and checking the forums for recent project happenings.

A probie leader should post on your thread within a week or so and continue to give you constructive feedback on your houses for the next month (and help be your entrypoint into the server community in general), although as sometimes the probie leaders are busy IRL you may need to be patient while they find the time to respond to you. But message me again if a probie leader hasn't contacted you within two weeks, or if they're taking a while to respond. I would also encourage you to seek feedback from project leaders and other builders/mods. At the end, you'll be made full builder assuming everything goes smoothly.

I'd suggest you also start thinking about what projects you might like to work on, we encourage new builders to first work on "mini-projects" which are small one off areas of other projects, e.g. a hamlet, mill, quarry, and flagged as open for mini-apps by the project leader. Once you've done a few of these you'll be able to apply for a full project.

Make sure to stay in touch and let us know if there's any way we can keep you busy.

Welcome aboard and I'll see you in Westeros!