The Arbor: Terraforming

Elduwin

Skinchanger
Staff member
This thread is for discussion on the terraforming of the island. This thread will be updated throughout the project.

@CashBanks Could you enlighten me/us as to how we are planning to world paint the island?
Can we make it happen in the short term?

Reactions: DjTorec

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Righteo.
So me and Eld have been exploring options for how we can do the bones of the island in WorldPainter then import them onto the server.

Eld's put together a lovely map of the island based on the canon and his ideas for it's implementation.

I was then able to use this map as a template to create a 1:1 map of the island in Worldpainter (with some additions based on feedback).
What you see in these pics is just the rough outline of the island. Extensive terra work will be required to bring the mountains and coasts up to our standard, the intent here is to just hit the ground running and offer a useful means of scaling up Eld's outline of the map.

Here's how the island compares in size to the current Arbor and relative to the rest of the map

With some wizardry, it is possible to import this into the current map. I would do this in stages, likely first just copying over a flat profile of the island to confirm it's position, and then add the rest in stages to make sure WorldEdit doesn't have a brain aneurysm.

Before anyone get's too excited about us suddenly doing all our terra with WorldPainter, I should preface all this with a note that WorldPainter is limited in it's usefulness. It's good for creating areas of land based on a sketch or outline, but is hopeless (or at least very unsatisfying) with doing the smaller details. It wouldn't be any good for things like forests, schems, and the clunkiness of importing the areas into the server makes it ill-suited for anything that's not an island in the corner of the map.

Last edited:

Elduwin

Skinchanger
Staff member
Hey @CashBanks thanks for all the explanations.

Would it be possible to expand the width of the island 10-20% to the N-E?
I'd rather have it a bit too large and carve in than the opposite.
Also, I've reshaped the south of the island, to make it more mountainous. It's ready to go now!

Then, how/when do you think it'd be possible to import and paste it?

Last edited:

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
No worries, I can have it ready to go in game at any time - it’ll probably be easier if the current island is nuked first though so will wait for that decision to be made.

Reactions: Elduwin

Elduwin

Skinchanger
Staff member
Alright, great!

Before nuking the current island, @lemonbear are you ok with us removing the 3 smaller islands that you made (isle of pigs, mermaid's palace, stone crab cay)? Would you want me to copy them to old builds?
There's no hurry, so just let me know what you prefer.

Also, if anyone has any objection, please let me know.
Otherwise, by the end of this week, I'll remove the current island and we'll be ready for worldpaint.

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
Alright, great!

Before nuking the current island, @lemonbear are you ok with us removing the 3 smaller islands that you made (isle of pigs, mermaid's palace, stone crab cay)? Would you want me to copy them to old builds?
There's no hurry, so just let me know what you prefer.

Also, if anyone has any objection, please let me know.
Otherwise, by the end of this week, I'll remove the current island and we'll be ready for worldpaint.

I definitely want you to copy Mermaid's Palace to old builds. I'm less concerned about Isle of Pigs, but I'd also like Stonecrab Cay saved.

Reactions: Elduwin and Iwan

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
Can I ask where the new versions of each of the isles will be in relation to the new Arbor?

Elduwin

Skinchanger
Staff member
I definitely want you to copy Mermaid's Palace to old builds. I'm less concerned about Isle of Pigs, but I'd also like Stonecrab Cay saved.
I'll copy/paste the 3!

Can I ask where the new versions of each of the isles will be in relation to the new Arbor?
So far, there are 4 of them on the map I made. I'm rather satisfied with the positions and inspirations for the 2 southern ones, Isle of Pigs and Bastard's Cradle, the 2 others (Mermaid's Palace & Stonecrab Cay), not entirely set on them, and the 5th one (Horseshoe Rock), I haven't placed it, don't know where yet.

Elduwin

Skinchanger
Staff member
Update: @CashBanks has made a great work to prepare the world painting of a rough shape of the future Arbor island. We're working to get it in the main world asap, and then terra will begin, probably going for the whole summer.

I'm open to any suggestion of landscapes and inspirations for the Arbor the smaller islands, so don't hesitate to share your thoughts on that. The smaller islands will be open to apply for as sub-leaders, keeping in mind that @lemonbear will have priority on those.

is there any reason for so many people to live on such a tiny island? it seems like it would be unnecessarily difficult to build a house there, and have to row from mainland to island to get food/supplies/whatever. What about just 1 hermit house on one of the islands or something?