Thamus' Texture Treasure Trove

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
I love the color, I’m just wondering if it’s safe for us to add a whole new type of brick this late in the game.
By new type I mean one that’s not one of these: View attachment 7441
I wonder if it makes any difference at all to decide to add a whole new colour in the first place. I'd argue that it doesn't really. Moreover, according to Veggie's specifications, these additions don't need to be used in palettes with other blocks as they are fairly limited due to canon hence I wanted to use the chance to replace the Doku textures with something that's my own creation.

If you guys like this and we decide to go for it, I'm more than happy to sit down with people that know the styles of other regions across WesterosCraft well to discuss how we could introduce improved textures to those too.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
I've generally been a bit cautious about introducing textures with art styles noticably different from the overall feel of the pack (which is essentially a highly retouched Doku style) in a piecemeal fashion - I feel that if there's a general desire to revitalize the pack with a new art style and move away from the "Doku" style, these changes ought to be pushed to the server in one large batch rather than small installments. The issue with the latter approach is just that it creates odd contrasts when you have textures from one style nearby textures from another noticably different style.

Now, I wouldn't say that adding a new texture for the pink brick is necessarily an issue here, since we do use blocks which have textures that are more or less unique to them - e.g., orange brick, river cobble. However, I do worry a bit about the stylistic difference between the current pink brick textures and our existing brick textures; for instance, in this screenshot there are some pretty perceptible differences between the pink brick and the dun brick in terms of crispness of borders, use of noise, shading, etc.

I love the pink brick textures you created, and I think it would definitely be worth experimenting with revitalizing our brick textures as a whole along those lines. In the short run, I'm wondering if it would be possible to "Doku-ify" the current iteration of the pink brick textures a bit so there's less of a style contrast when added in the next update.

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
I've generally been a bit cautious about introducing textures with art styles noticably different from the overall feel of the pack (which is essentially a highly retouched Doku style) in a piecemeal fashion - I feel that if there's a general desire to revitalize the pack with a new art style and move away from the "Doku" style, these changes ought to be pushed to the server in one large batch rather than small installments. The issue with the latter approach is just that it creates odd contrasts when you have textures from one style nearby textures from another noticably different style.

Now, I wouldn't say that adding a new texture for the pink brick is necessarily an issue here, since we do use blocks which have textures that are more or less unique to them - e.g., orange brick, river cobble. However, I do worry a bit about the stylistic difference between the current pink brick textures and our existing brick textures; for instance, in this screenshot there are some pretty perceptible differences between the pink brick and the dun brick in terms of crispness of borders, use of noise, shading, etc.

I love the pink brick textures you created, and I think it would definitely be worth experimenting with revitalizing our brick textures as a whole along those lines. In the short run, I'm wondering if it would be possible to "Doku-ify" the current iteration of the pink brick textures a bit so there's less of a style contrast when added in the next update.
I appreciate that you’re open to adding these, in principle! That’s a good basis for discussion. I don’t feel too motivated to doku-ify my style simply for the sake of making it work “right now”, when at a later point in time I would overhaul all textures anyways. I am however open to un-doku-ify any textures you perceive as clashing.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
I don’t feel too motivated to doku-ify my style simply for the sake of making it work “right now”, when at a later point in time I would overhaul all textures anyways. I am however open to un-doku-ify any textures you perceive as clashing.
I'd rather not forestall the update with the pink brick textures, though, since Veg and Ark are depending on them to make progress on their respective projects. Any large-scale texture revamp should be an update unto itself, and would need to be extensively tested by the public and tweaked before being put into place. If you're not motivated to doku-ify your style, which is certainly understandable, would you be opposed to me making any changes when I add the new textures in the coming update?

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
I'd rather not forestall the update with the pink brick textures, though, since Veg and Ark are depending on them to make progress on their respective projects. Any large-scale texture revamp should be an update unto itself, and would need to be extensively tested by the public and tweaked before being put into place. If you're not motivated to doku-ify your style, which is certainly understandable, would you be opposed to me making any changes when I add the new textures in the coming update?
Can't we just implement the textures as they are? If revitalizing our current brick textures turns out impossible or doesn't give the desired results we can always doku-ify the set in a later update. This way you or Thamus don't have to take the extra inbetween step to make it fit into our pack right now, while Maidenpool and Riverrun can function as the frontrunner to experiment wether this new set is something we can and want to work with (like an on-map test).

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Can't we just implement the textures as they are? If revitalizing our current brick textures turns out impossible or doesn't give the desired results we can always doku-ify the set in a later update. This way you or Thamus don't have to take the extra inbetween step to make it fit into our pack right now, while Maidenpool and Riverrun can function as the frontrunner to experiment wether this new set is something we can and want to work with (like an on-map test).
I’ll ultimately leave this up to Veggie and Arkilstorm ‘s discretion, since they’re the ones who’ll be developing the style using this block. My feeling is just that it’ll be awkward to use the block in practice along with our current Doku-esque textures. I don’t think it’ll be a good experiment for the new style either, since people will be implicitly judging it based on how well it fits with everything else rather than purely on the new style’s own merits (as they would if we can have them test a pack that updates the style of all textures at once).

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
The basic textures for 3 different sizes of pink blocks are now at least prototyped.

c0c4d46fb4.jpg

Next up: A texture to represent erosions and maybe one for decorative elements.

Attachments

• Pink4.zip
    361.1 KB · Views: 9

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
I tried to go for this:
goodrich-castle-6.jpg

My constraint was to only add a single "erosion" block, but that turns out to be impossible or I fucked up somewhere:
- I tried a 4-block tall repeat CTM which doesn't work because the pattern isn't relative to the block placement but rather relative to the global grid it seems.
- Nesting repeat inside vertical CTM didn't work either.
- Nesting vertical CTM inside vertical CTM didn't work either.

da41db45af.jpg

Give it a go let me know what you think. I think I'll kill the idea of only having a single erosion block, instead, I might use the darkest tile for a revamp of the bedrock block since they are so close in color. The brownish transition tiles could become a new look for the stormlands cobble and the lightest one could become the proper alt for this pink block. Totally not sure.. I'd appreciate any help testing this

Diorite = Shoddy CTM implementation
Granite = Alt. for the pink block only
Andesite = Darkest, possibly a start for a replacement of bedrock?
Polished Andesite = Transition block from light to mid, this could also become an alt for the pink block with some work.
Polished Diorite = Transition block from mid to dark, possibly a start for a replacement of stormlands cobble?

Attachments

• Pink5.zip
    376.6 KB · Views: 5

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Veggie let me know today that the general mood is that while the textures are good they differ too much. Hence, I've applied that exact same color without further tweaking to the existing Doku textures in the pack below.

With that, I'll conclude my work on the pink stones. Emoticone11 let me know if you prefer to have a PSD or if you're good with just using these tiles.

fd13e901b6.jpg

Attachments

• PinkDoku.zip
    108.3 KB · Views: 12

Kulmen

Herald
Veggie let me know today that the general mood is that while the textures are good they differ too much. Hence, I've applied that exact same color without further tweaking to the existing Doku textures in the pack below.

With that, I'll conclude my work on the pink stones. Emoticone11 let me know if you prefer to have a PSD or if you're good with just using these tiles.

fd13e901b6.jpg
this is just the old reach blocks

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Any updates on the pink stone situation Emoticone11 ?
I have to say I really like Tham's attempts, and wouldn't mind some tests to see if we could replace all our existing stone doku textures with Tham's textures.
No, I don't really have any updates to give at the moment. I'll be too busy IRL to work on any texture-related things until at least the 29th due to my PhD area exam.

I think it would be nice to get the white mortar to work with a more Doku-compatible brick texture base, as I think that's the key thing for getting the textures to be a happy medium between the reach brick and the dun brick. However, it's a bit outside of my own skillset. I tried experimenting with the current pink bricks for a while, but simply messing with brightness masks/inversion isn't enough, since the shading comes out all wrong.

Last I talked to Veggie, unless we can get the white mortar idea to work out, he'd prefer something that can just be used as an accent material with a reach brick palette, with the pink sandstone blocks Ark wants for Riverrun being left as a separate addition.

Is there not a texture request thread for the pink brick yet? It'd probably be best to localize all discussion of the pink brick textures in one place so we don't spam up Tham's treasure trove thread.