TechOnPC Probation

TechOnPC

Bard
Pronouns
he/him
I did a crop patch at /sfham3, but was told to stop and do houses somewhere else. I'll still mark it here so there's a record of it.

Reactions: FD001__

otty

Sorcerer
Pronouns
she/her
Hello Tech, welcome to to the team!

I will take up your probation.

I'm going to lay some groundwork here and outline my expectations.
  • 5 homes are the expected minimum to be approved. I really encourage more as long as you don't overtake your share of plots (we seem to have a shortage).
  • With what plots are available, please build in more than one region. This gives me an accurate assessment of your skillset. :)
  • Do not build multiple plots in a row until feedback is given. IE don't build 4 plots back to back as they will likely repeat mistakes.
  • Once feedback is given please apply that to all the existing homes that you may be working on. I look to see if my feedback was applied.
  • I prefer provide 1to1 feedback whenever possible in-game. Otherwise, a forum note and melons will suffice and we will review it more in-depth if necessary later. If you don't feel comfortable with this let me know. I've just noticed most new builds seem to prefer a conversation that allows you room to ask questions. :)
  • I ask questions. I don't ask them to be mean, condescending or rude, I ask them to get your brain rolling on thinking about certain things/ getting you to ask them yourself. IE "Why did you place the bed here?" If this is annoying and ineffective for you please communicate that and I can adjust my methods.
  • Ask others for some feedback! I am one old frozen perspective from the server, many others are far more talented and knowledgable than I on different subjects. So many friggin' smart people on here, they are a resource! However, try to make the changes yourself and not let others do them.
That's a lot, sorry!

As a new builder, the most important thing is to get yourself involved in the community and engage with others. Many builders meet their closest in-game friends as a probie.

Let me know if there is any way I can help get you situated in this community and our processes. I'm sure it can be overwhelming! Looking forward to building with ya.

Good luck, have fun!

Check this out aswell, might have some useful starting tips

Last edited:

TechOnPC

Bard
Pronouns
he/him
Sounds good! I received some feedback on my bowyer shop from Lemon and made some adjustments. I also received some assistance from Aeksio on finishing up the yard and shed for the bowyer shop so that build is done. I also built the shop next to the bowyer, that being a joiner/carpenter. Only the house and the interior is done, I'm still working on the yard and shed.

Reactions: otty and FD001__

otty

Sorcerer
Pronouns
she/her
Sounds good! I received some feedback on my bowyer shop from Lemon and made some adjustments. I also received some assistance from Aeksio on finishing up the yard and shed for the bowyer shop so that build is done. I also built the shop next to the bowyer, that being a joiner/carpenter. Only the house and the interior is done, I'm still working on the yard and shed.
Perfect! Great can you also give me the coordinates to each build? This spares time reading all the tags if I review it alone :)

TechOnPC

Bard
Pronouns
he/him
I received more feedback on both houses from Lemon and Aeksio and made additional alterations.

TechOnPC

Bard
Pronouns
he/him
Hey there,
Sorry it has been a while, I've been more focused on just vanilla Minecraft. I was told last time not to continue building until my existing builds had been inspected and approved. The two houses I'd built at /warp sarsfield have not had any new feedback listed since my last post so I never built any others. If there are any additional changes needed on them I'd be happy to make them.

Reactions: FD001__

otty

Sorcerer
Pronouns
she/her
Hey there,
Sorry it has been a while, I've been more focused on just vanilla Minecraft. I was told last time not to continue building until my existing builds had been inspected and approved. The two houses I'd built at /warp sarsfield have not had any new feedback listed since my last post so I never built any others. If there are any additional changes needed on them I'd be happy to make them.

I did want to review them one on one but noticed you were absent with for some time. Go ahead and find another house or two to build and I'll leave commentary here when possible or if we pass each other in game I'll review them in person!

otty

Sorcerer
Pronouns
she/her
Alright then Tech, sorry for the delay.

Here is the feedback-
Oh crap this is long. I'm so sorry.

Bowyer-
  • Aeks (I was also present) provided you a nicely done upper floor with an up-to-standard daub and wattle pattern. stripes, as you've presented, are not common nor do they provide a fully finished look. (The small stone on the top layer without framing looks incomplete.) I would encourage you to look around and view what patterns people are using as well as the one aeks provided.
  • Cover up any exposed sides of workbenches.
  • Not sure if the bowyer would need a target let alone two. They would likely go out and find an archery space to practice on or a tree, if at all. If you want to keep one that's okay, but please remove the rest ( including the stacked ones in the shed). The ones stacked in the shed to arise a specific concern, that often comes up. "Filling space with stuff just to fill it" is a common mistake of new builders. Never add something just so it can fill in the space. Work on arrangments, layouts, and item design to do the work, rather than stacking things in a corner or adding crates and barrels. Playing with layout always comes out with better results than random items being added :)
  • Please remove the ingots in the shed. Bowyers in the medieval ages did not use any form of metal working. It is important to be doing research as you're designing a home. No expectation for anyone to become an expert but to be able to carry basic knowledge of the profession to depict it with reasonable accuracy. There are many resources for you online to refer to. For example here is a man making his
  • Use up the space made by removing one or both the targets to feed the family. Yards were meant to keep the households fed. I like crop dense yards as a result.
  • You're going to hate me for saying this but :( I want you to redo the workshop. Entirely. I want you to do research and try your very hardest to replicate what you can in Minecraft. Not easy but I think you can do it! Also, workshop fronts weren't really a thing, if they were they were much small and did not take up half the space. Please also no waiting room tables. What I want to see is max a 3 wide counter for exchanges if at all and the rest a workshop.
  • Personally, I don't like glass pewters, look too fancy and rich to me but some will argue against that notion. But clay pewters for the middle and low class is an ideal representation of their wealth.
  • Bedrooms weren't really a thing for more rural families, but just be aware you don't always need to divide the bed from the kitchen with a full wall.
  • We have half doors, they allow more space when you need a dividing wall and feel far less clunkly than a full vertical plank block.
  • Texture your wood with different wood types like in the example above.
  • Try to cover up change in stone from the first floor. Isn't always easy but a little effort to cover it up goes a long way :)
  • Avoid using paper, I understand its for receipt/record, but don't forget most peasants couldn't read or write — including numbers.

Fletcher -

• I want a similar update/redo to the workshop
  • No single hopper tables - just a general nono
  • the upstairs bedroom is odd, the half doors don't need to connect.
  • The outside facade is great
  • The yard is good - always a push for more crops
  • I personally (this is very much me as a probie leader) dont like more than one kitchen utility block in middle-low class homes, while they certainly had their sets, I don't like what it represents, which is abundance. I limit it to one per house.
  • Cleavers are for butchers :)
Overall please make sure you're doing your research and Be thoughtful in your layouts! Your first house will always have the most feedback, so it may seem like a lot but it should be all downhill from here.

Best of luck!