Sullab Builder Application

Sullab

Mummer

USA

Youtube, though I cannot remember the specific video.

I've always been more sci-fi, but I am I fan of LOTR. Well, okay, I've seen the movies. I tried to read the books before I saw the movies, but I could not make it through the Council of Elrond. My other favorite fantasy book was the Eragon series, though that's been ruined for me because someone pointed out it's literally medieval Star Wars.

Game of Thrones, Clash of Kings

Season 1, Season 2, Season 3, Season 4, Season 5, Season 6, Season 7

I always empathized with Samwell Tarley. I've never been particularly strong nor attractive, so it was nice to see a male character that was helpful and important, without being Mr. Murderabs. The only other male characters in a similar boat are Tyrion and Tywin, and they're hardly the paragons of virtue. If I were dropped in Westeros, I feel like Sam is the closest portrayal of how I might actually fit in.

When I'm building, I always try to think about how a particular building would actually fit into the larger world around it. Actually, I sometimes get carried away thinking about the history of the building, it's uses, and how that would impact how it should look. For example, the building I'm submitting here. The building is a house in a swamp. As such, it was built on unstable ground. Therefore, one side of the house has already begun to sink into the earth, giving it a lopsided appearance. What's more, the family who lives there is likely poorer. Therefore, only one of the walls is made of stone, which would be expensive to source in a swamp. As such, the remaining walls are mad of peat and sod, which is abundant in the area.

As stated before, I like to consider how a build functions in the larger world. However, I often find that I am not capable enough to fully flesh out large-scale builds by myself. A town needs a butcher. But the butches is going to need salt to cure the meat, so there must be a salt merchant somewhere. But where did the salt come from? Unless we're near a salt mine, it had to be shipped in. I find myself easily disappearing down this rabbit hole until I have an endless list of what needs to be made. By that point, I'm overwhelmed, and find myself hitting a wall. This server is wonderful, because there's already a fully functional world to place constructions in. This means that there's a preexisting framework in which to place buildings. That means I'm free from worrying about every detail of a world, and can focus on what's in front of me. What's more, I've had time to wander around a bit. To say I'm impressed with your build is an understatement. I saw that render of King's Landing a few years back and was blown away. To think of a whole world with that level of detail is mind-boggling, and to be a part of that would be, put simply, awesome.

https://imgur.com/a/oMTSOTJ

You know nothing, Jon Snow.

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Sullab,
Thanks for your application and for your patience while we found a chance to review it, glad to see you're a fan of the fantasy fiction and the world of ASOIAF, you've come to the right place!

When I first saw the pebble/gravel walIs of this house I was initially worried that you might've colossally misunderstood how a house is built, but now that I've read your app and understood the effect you're going for, it's clear you've put some thought into it and explored our custom block set.

I'll just give you some feedback to assist with future challenge builds:
- The shape/layout is certainly interesting/unique albeit, I like that you're interested in telling a story with the house.
- The choice of blocks for the internal details is on the whole ok, but just be careful with using those drawer blocks, basically anything with glass in it is generally reserved for middle/upper class houses. We also usually don't use banner blocks, since don't really blend with our custom blocks, though I get what you were going for with them.
- With the yard, try to use a mix of dirt/gravel blocks rather than the mud since it looks a little repetitive.

For the first challenge build, please make an average sized Low Class house in the style of /warp hawthornetown and share screenshots of it in this thread. I'm confident you know how what kind of time/effort should go into an application, but now it would be great see how you can adapt to one of our specific styles and build something consistent with the server. You should be able to apply all that advice directly to a Hawthorne house so take your time to study the style in detail, and make sure to ask if you have any questions on the above feedback or the hawthornetown style.

Good luck!

Last edited: