Street Of Looms Discussion

Jakethesnake8_8

Firemage
Pronouns
he/him
Hey all, I was re-reading a Clash of Kings today and noticed there's a major street that isn't in our current KL. It's called the Street of Looms. After arriving in the city, Tyrion takes a tour and shortly after leaving the gate Tyrion comes across a body being torn apart by feral dogs near this 'Street of Looms'. Afterwards, he passes markets and makes his way to the Street of Flour and then on to the Gate of the God's. So I've devised a map of Tyrion's route from the Red Keep to the Broken Anvil.

So firstly, Tyrion passes through the gate and says to the Captain of the Guards that he'll stick his head on the gate if he doesn't remove the rotting heads. He then goes off down the street. I've inferred the markets he refers to could be those at KL27 and KL21. He remarks they have a startling lack of produce, and some of them are selling dead rats. However, in between this time, he comes across the body and says it's near the Street of Looms. From this, we can assume there's a street similar to the Street of Flour that is dedicated to loom construction, weaving and tailoring. I have marked a general area where the Street of Looms could be in red.

The importance of this canon street could come into play in the surrounding districts depending on where it gets put. The person who applies for the district it's in would have to do something similar to Aino, and go for a heavy update.

RavishMeRed

Printmaker
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Another small and less important street I also found was Street of Silver, which is a road containing gambling dens. These would probably be sorta nice establishments and kinda remind me of the Las Vegas of KL. It's location is open to interpretation though.

-

Regarding the street proposal, the current road section proposed is named the Kings Way and connects to Shadowblack Lane before connecting to the Red Keep. I remember seeing a map of possible KL street locations and seeing The Street of Looms North East of the proposed area. At this time I cannot find it but will try to.

Last edited:

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Currently we have a tapestry maker on the eastern side of the dragonsquare, so it would perhaps make more sense for the street of looms to be in the northern/north western part of that red area.

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Hmm. That looks like a pre Fire and Blood map as it does not include Hill Street/Shepherd's Way

jmcmarq

Envoy
Where is that map? because if considered as canon I have to remove the pisswater in my district, to open a diagonal avenue, and Ravish should add it in their area.

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Based on Jake's information about Tyrion's route and Ravish's map, the dwarf would have found the body almost outside the red keep's gates. We'd also need to remake the hill slope to be shallower on the northern side than it is currently to support a road I think if the road were to follow the map.

Essentially, the point I'm trying to make is that it might be difficult to use this map, particularly as its missing important streets like the Shepherd's Way/Hill Street from F&B and it might be easier to put the street of flour, which we only have the vague location of, between the dragonsquare and JMC's district as it still fits the book description while not requiring large amounts of restructure.

Reactions: Jakethesnake8_8