Stormlands Dornish March

Jeffjunior77

Printmaker
Hey Everyone,

as u maybe know i am working on House Lonmouth.
Its a Stormland House in the Dornish March.
The Tera is very Hilly and the Vale is surrounded by big Mountains!
Maybe u guys have some inspirations pictures for the style u would choose in this area so we can maybe create a own Stormlands dornish march style.
Remember that this Area is surrounded by Dorne, The Reach and the Stormlands so it should be have recognizable properties from all this Regions as far u go into this area.
Imo the Stormlands Block are too Dark for the lighter pink Terrain Blocks! I would choose Vivid and Mono but then there is the problem that all Timbered blocks dont fit 100% with the Base of the Houses ( I used Westerland Timbered Blocks before)
Also the Pink Blocks would make sence too bc kinda all Mountains in this area are pink.

~Jeff

Reactions: Jakethesnake8_8

Jeffjunior77

Printmaker
here are some things that come in my mind!
But this goes very fast in a westerlands style (thats what i am afraid of)
Also i dont know if i only should do full stone houses even if it fits into the tera!

Attachments

• 220px-Papaj,_Tropojë,_Albania_–_Demaj_Kullë_2018-05_04.jpg
    220px-Papaj,_Tropojë,_Albania_–_Demaj_Kullë_2018-05_04.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Download.jpg
    Download.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 11
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 12
  • milas-turkei-15-mai-2012-altes-steinhaus-im-dorf-cokertme-t15gy3.jpg
    milas-turkei-15-mai-2012-altes-steinhaus-im-dorf-cokertme-t15gy3.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 11
  • stone-houses-lukomir-remote-village-bosnia-herzegovina-136216485.jpg
    stone-houses-lukomir-remote-village-bosnia-herzegovina-136216485.jpg
    463.4 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: ContraBlonde

Jeffjunior77

Printmaker
here a view i would prefer for the town

Attachments

• italy-the-medieval-city-beauty-the-middle-ages-the-ancient-city-mountains-nature-landscape-mou...jpg
    italy-the-medieval-city-beauty-the-middle-ages-the-ancient-city-mountains-nature-landscape-mou...jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: ContraBlonde

Azulejo

Bloodmage
Staff member
I advocate for the western Dornish Marches being inspired by wet Iberia so here you go:

vista-argul-pesoz-1200x640.jpgvista-panoramica-argul-pesoz-1024x680.jpgcantabria_tambien_tiene_un_pueblo_llamado_carmona__6856_940x679.jpgBejes-Cantabria.jpg1200px-Hórreos_de_Bermiego.jpgBandujo-1.jpgSubida a Bandujo Asturias (18).JPGdonde-esta-enclavado.jpg

Bandujo, Os Teixos, Valle de Liébana, Argul... There's a start. Seri linked some album pics here that may help. I also made this post a while ago about Guadalajara's "Pueblos Negros". Although it's in central Spain I think it fits the vibe.​

Jakethesnake8_8

Firemage
Pronouns
he/him
Great inspo so far! I'd advise you to remember that Lonmouth is pretty much closed off from the rest of the Stormlands with only a small mountainous path to get in and out of the valley. So I think you can use that as an opportunity to make the style a little less Dornish in nature. Like you say its surrounded by tall mountains, so it's quite closed off.

Also I'd love to work on a style for this area!

Jeffjunior77

Printmaker
Yeah sure!
I will definitely use more stormlands elements but another problem is that our current stormlands style is mostly just a darker reach/Riverlands/crownland style.
But anyway on my plot I make a huge platform we’re if ppl want to make some tests and give feedback !

Jeffjunior77

Printmaker
after i looked for some styles and desgins for thr region arround lonmouth (Dornish March Stormlands).
I Rememberd that Endy once told me i should take inspiration from Cathar Castles! U can find Cathar Castles in the Region between france and Spain.
The Region arround the pyrenees are in my opinion a good choice for the area! So we could maybe also use a style from this regions for the Houses.
The Clima in th Region is identical to the dornish march.
Also the province of Aragonia in Spain (next to the Pyrenees) could be a nice choice)
Another Point why this Area is very identical is that the Mountains of The dornish March and the Mountains of the pyrenees are the Stage of alot of wars thats why the Castles,Towns and Hamlets are higher in the hills, that they are more defensible.

Attachments

• images (2).jpg
    images (2).jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 16
  • images (1).jpg
    images (1).jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 16
  • die-mittelalterliche-festung-belcastel-burg-mit-blick-auf-den-historischen-dorf-von-belcastel-...jpg
    die-mittelalterliche-festung-belcastel-burg-mit-blick-auf-den-historischen-dorf-von-belcastel-...jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 14
  • images (3).jpg
    images (3).jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 16

Jeffjunior77

Printmaker
some more pictures i like also it shows how identical the tera is imo.

Attachments

• 12771231-spanisch-mittelalterlichen-dorf-am-fuße-der-felsen-in-den-pyrenäen.jpg
    12771231-spanisch-mittelalterlichen-dorf-am-fuße-der-felsen-in-den-pyrenäen.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 440px-Chevaux_estive_Pyrenees.jpg
    440px-Chevaux_estive_Pyrenees.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 19
  • french-village-houses-stone-france-35076275.jpg
    french-village-houses-stone-france-35076275.jpg
    324.8 KB · Views: 18
  • images (4).jpg
    images (4).jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 19
  • picturesque-alley-with-medieval-houses-in-the-village-saint-cirq-lapopie-E3Y5CJ.jpg
    picturesque-alley-with-medieval-houses-in-the-village-saint-cirq-lapopie-E3Y5CJ.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 19
Reactions: Azulejo

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
I like you're ideas here. The Stormlands are currently a whole mix of styles at the moment, many outdated or suited for the chocolate brown terrainset that have now been replaced.

I'd be keen to see how these various inspirations could be translated in game. I think for a point of distinction between the Westerlands it might be worth avoiding orange slate roof tiles but certainly interested to see how those other brick styles look.

Hey Jeff! It's really nice seeing more people wanting to develop the Dornish marches!!

I think some of the images you presented for inspiration are a good start, however it seems you are mixing too many styles atm, looking at the pictures you shared, I'd suggest sticking with the Spanish side of the pyrenees, for stylistic reasons, material and cultural reasons. It can be debated, but our server pretty much established as the Reach having a French feel. Being that Lonmouth doesn't border the reach and is exactly in the opposite direction from the reach marches I'd avoid examples such as Carcassone, Saint Cirque Lapopie, and others from the dordogne and occitanie regions besides the areas close to the pyrenees in the mountainous region that can match and blend with the style you go for. I think your first batch of images was very nice choice in terms of inspiration, and azulejo's images I too find to be great for the region.

Also I'd advise to talk with Aek, CC and others that are developing projects for the marches region, so we can establish a very cohesive fluid but diverse set of styles that are determined by how culturally influenced they are by the Reach, Dorne or the Stormlands.

GL with the app!!

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Loving this whole thread, particularly with the wooden granaries on stone platforms visible in the first and last image of seri's first post.

Cathar Castles would be a good potential inspiration for placement and layout of hfs, castles etc within the Stormlands Marches. However, Seri is spot on with the Reach Marches around Hornhill, Starpike and Darkdell being inspired by the French Pyrenees in terms of house style.
I'm particularly liking Bandujo and its plotting, mostly due to its large, martial looking tower in the centre and number of accessible granaries. Perhaps to distinguish the style from Westerlands, other than darker stone palette and different roofing style is to perhaps have the rooves steeper towards the centre, with slab 30d slope then stairs in the centre few blocks.

More feedback and dialogue would be brilliant!

Loving this whole thread, particularly with the wooden granaries on stone platforms visible in the first and last image of seri's first post.

Cathar Castles would be a good potential inspiration for placement and layout of hfs, castles etc within the Stormlands Marches. However, Seri is spot on with the Reach Marches around Hornhill, Starpike and Darkdell being inspired by the French Pyrenees in terms of house style.
I'm particularly liking Bandujo and its plotting, mostly due to its large, martial looking tower in the centre and number of accessible granaries. Perhaps to distinguish the style from Westerlands, other than darker stone palette and different roofing style is to perhaps have the rooves steeper towards the centre, with slab 30d slope then stairs in the centre few blocks.

More feedback and dialogue would be brilliant!
Yesss!! And also the wood additions!! Wood railings overhangs and other elements can help differentiate from the westerlands style and it ties in with the very forest heavy area that is the stormlands, Azu’s images show a lot of these.

Jeffjunior77

Printmaker
Yeah that’s the problem! But for lonmouth I have to say that its right next to wagstaff / stonehelm … that means we could maybe have some more trees then the central and Southern marches.

Reactions: Azulejo

Azulejo

Bloodmage
Staff member
I'm particularly liking Bandujo and its plotting, mostly due to its large, martial looking tower in the centre and number of accessible granaries. Perhaps to distinguish the style from Westerlands, other than darker stone palette and different roofing style is to perhaps have the rooves steeper towards the centre, with slab 30d slope then stairs in the centre few blocks.​
I used dark wood (or northern wood?, I don't remember the name) and black slate in the test I made at Jeff's plot, to further differentiate the style to the Westerlands.
Loving this whole thread, particularly with the wooden granaries on stone platforms visible in the first and last image of seri's first post.​
This granaries are used mainly for storing grains that are not grained yet, so they dry up before making them into flour (they all appear in very humid areas), mainly corn, as most wheats dont grow here (emmer wheat is an exception, as is resistant to fungal diseases). Cured meats, sausages, some vegetables and dried pepper are stored here as well. They all have in common being on some kind of stilts to separate the food from the damp soil and wild animals. In order to keep them from climbing up most of this structures have a protruding piece where the pillars connect with the storage space, as well as a detached staircase.
InShot_20210926_173852924 (1).jpg

There are many types of those structures all over western and northern Iberia. That being said, similar structures can be found all over the world, like Northern Europe, Turkey or Japan. Anywhere wet, temperate and montanious.
panel.jpg

Espigueiros are the ones found in northern Portugal. They are usually rectangular and mostly made out of stone, although wood can be used as well. The same structures can be found in Galicia, where they are called hórreos, or hórreos galegos/gallegos to distinguish them from asturian hórreos.
InShot_20210926_174207475 (1).jpg
InShot_20210926_174323979 (1).jpg

Horros/Hórreos are the ones found in Asturias. They are made mostly of wood, although the pillars can be made out of stone too. They are square and have four legs, and a pyramid hip roof. Paneras follow the same style, but they're rectangular and have 6 or more legs. Asturian hórreos can be found in León, Cantabria and some parts of Galicia too.
InShot_20210926_175216134 (1).jpg
InShot_20210926_175333441 (1).jpg

Garaia are granaries of Euskadi. They are mostly made out of wood and have gable roofs. In Northern Navarra (a euskera speaking area) there are also hórreos, but they're quite different. They are mostly made out of stone and rest sometimes over arches instead of beams. Areas near France have wattle and daub or plastered hórreos.
InShot_20210926_174517541 (1).jpg
InShot_20210926_175016354 (1).jpg
InShot_20210926_174837233 (1).jpg

I personally think hórreos can be a nice feature unique to the Stormlands and the Dornish Marches. Spaces for drying up grain before making it into flour make a lot of sense in this region, as it is very rainy. They also are a very easy way to add character to a small village. Most houses had one, or at least shared it. They also are a nice covered area where one can store tools, carts, dry clothes or cut wood. There's an asturian hórreo and a galician one in my plot, in case someone wants to check. I've also build one at Jeff's plot.

I'd say Galician/Portuguese hórreos fit quite well around the Reach Marches and the areas with very few trees. Asturian hórreos and garaia fit on more wooded and wet areas of the Stormlands, even outside the Marches. Navarran hórreos fit nicely west of Horn Hill, but also on areas like Darkdell (Reach but not plains biome).​

Rexstop15

Printmaker
Hey Jeff, I'm interested on doing the mini farm/hamlet project on the northern side. I don't know what you have in mind for it, but I began testing a bit on my plot.