Spruce Leaf Texture issue

ChewyMan125

Street Preacher
Hello All,

Since I switched from the Helios Launcher after it stopped working for our server, there has been what seems to be a texture issue with the spruce leaf blocks for myself and a significant amount of other members of the server. The issue feels conditional, given that not everyone is experiencing it. Attached bellow, I tried to capture what it is that I can see. The first image is of the spruce leaf blocks up close, which looks normal and really pretty, as our texture pack does so well.

2022-01-25_10.52.07.png

The issue comes in when the player takes a step back, and the cross panels become brighter, as seen below.

2022-01-25_10.53.13.png

In an attempt to fix this, as suggested helpfully by Emot, I fiddled around with my mipmapping settings, and the best results I could manage were to turn the mipmapping levels to none. This removed this particular issue, but in return it made everything grainy at the same time, as seen below. 2022-01-25_10.53.41.png
So this isn't exactly better. My goal with this forum post is basically a call to arms for server members who have this issue, and hopefully for any mods or admins to maybe help, and see what we can do to solve this. No matter what, all of the builds on this server are lovely and beautiful, however it does make it irritating trying to explore a more southern area, and in the near-distance this issue sort of takes you out of it.

I also tried messing with the anti-aliasing settings, which didn't really solve the issue and only decreased my FPS.

Anyways, I hope we can figure this issue out and find a solution! If anyone has solved this for themselves, please leave a reply on this post about what you were able to do! It would be incredibly appreciated :D

ChewyMan125

Street Preacher
If you don't have this issue, if you could drop screenshots of your settings that would be appreciated, so that those experiencing this could compare and adjust everything accordingly :)

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Could you post your Video Settings so I can try to replicate this bug? Just screenshots of the base Video Settings settings, the Details settings, and the Quality settings should be enough.

BTW, I just checked and I have my mipmap levels set to 2 without running into this, so that shouldn't be a problem. But the fact that it goes away when mipmapping is set to 0 suggests that it might be some other setting interacting with mipmapping.

ChewyMan125

Street Preacher
Could you post your Video Settings so I can try to replicate this bug? Just screenshots of the base Video Settings settings, the Details settings, and the Quality settings should be enough.

BTW, I just checked and I have my mipmap levels set to 2 without running into this, so that shouldn't be a problem. But the fact that it goes away when mipmapping is set to 0 suggests that it might be some other setting interacting with mipmapping.

sure thing!

basevideosettings.jpgdetailvideosettings.jpgqualityvideosettings.jpg

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
I tried reproducing those settings exactly (OptiFine HD F5 Ultra), but haven't been able to replicate the issue. What graphic card(s) does your computer use?

Reactions: ChewyMan125

ChewyMan125

Street Preacher
I tried reproducing those settings exactly (OptiFine HD F5 Ultra), but haven't been able to replicate the issue. What graphic card(s) does your computer use?
Thanks for trying! I appreciate it greatly. Also sorry for the late response, I was busy with classes/work and all that good stuff. Also yeah I'm using a laptop, I believe the model is an HP Pavilion. Not sure how to look at what my graphics card is, but attached is what I found if this is of any use. Also, if its helpful, I was using a Surface Pro 4 before this laptop, back during early November 2021 when this issue first happened1644389838701.png

Just popping in to say I have this same exact issue. Have tried downloading OptiFine from different places, in different formats, different versions and putting in different locations. I've tweaked around the settings that should change it- still nothing. All leaf textures are a little funky, but the Spruce is so jarring. Especially in the desert-y biomes.

Azulejo

Bloodmage
Staff member
I have a Lenovo 81SW (laptop) with a Intel(R) UHD Graphics 610 and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 with Max-Q Design (hope that's all hahahah). I have the same issues as those above me. Never tweaked the deafult graphic settings that come with minecraft and/or our launcher.

Reactions: Guillaaard

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Also, if its helpful, I was using a Surface Pro 4 before this laptop, back during early November 2021 when this issue first happened
Hmm... so just to clarify, you were using the Helios launcher right up until it stopped working, while on the Surface Pro 4, and you didn't have the issue then. Then you switched to one of the new launchers (GDLauncher or CurseForge?), while still on the Surface Pro 4, and you noticed this issue as soon as you switched launchers. Then at some point you got a new laptop, using the same launcher, and you still had the same issue? Is that correct?

Is there anybody else who used the Helios launcher right up until it stopped working who also noticed this issue begin right after switching launchers (without changing hardware)?

Also, it would be helpful if the people who *aren't* getting this issue could also post your specs (launcher, Optifine version, operating system + graphics cards, etc.).

Reactions: ChewyMan125

ChewyMan125

Street Preacher
Hmm... so just to clarify, you were using the Helios launcher right up until it stopped working, while on the Surface Pro 4, and you didn't have the issue then. Then you switched to one of the new launchers (GDLauncher or CurseForge?), while still on the Surface Pro 4, and you noticed this issue as soon as you switched launchers. Then at some point you got a new laptop, using the same launcher, and you still had the same issue? Is that correct?

Is there anybody else who used the Helios launcher right up until it stopped working who also noticed this issue begin right after switching launchers (without changing hardware)?

Also, it would be helpful if the people who *aren't* getting this issue could also post your specs (launcher, Optifine version, operating system + graphics cards, etc.).
Exactly, I ended up switching between making the launcher from scratch, to using the GDLauncher, to using CurseForge actually, and all of these had the spruce issue. The new laptop was just CurseForge, and upon writing this I realize that I should probably test out this new laptop with building the launcher and the GDLauncher. But yeah, the issue just persisted when I first booted up WC on the new laptop.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Is there anyone who gets this issue on macOS? Anyone reading this thread who doesn't get this issue who wants to share their specs?

Azulejo

Bloodmage
Staff member
If I installed it correctly (which I hope I did) the issue is still there, if anything more intense (in biomes where spruce has this coloration it does not appear as bad as this to me), and biome shadding seems to be removed.
2022-02-13_13.54.05.jpg

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
and biome shadding seems to be removed
Yeah, that’s exactly what I did. I removed the biome shading from spruce leaves to test if this was an issue with the shading not getting applied to the spruce leaf model. But apparently not.

in biomes where spruce has this coloration it does not appear as bad as this to me
What exactly do you mean by this? The bug is worse in some biomes than others? I can’t see why this would be the case after I removed biome shading. Could you take some pics?

Azulejo

Bloodmage
Staff member
What exactly do you mean by this? The bug is worse in some biomes than others? I can’t see why this would be the case after I removed biome shading. Could you take some pics?
Yeah, mushroom island and extreme hills (the one at the north) are the worst by far. In plains biome it isn't as bad or noticeable. But the bug is still there, its probably the colour that makes it more noticiable or dismisses it.

in biomes where spruce has this coloration it does not appear as bad as this to me
What I meant with this is that the resource pack made leaves look worse than biomes with a similar tone but with out it. With the resource pack on all spruce leaves looked the same, no matter the biome. I may have worded it a bit strangely.

2022-02-13_18.52.12.jpg
Extreme Hills

2022-02-13_18.52.54.jpg
Mushroom island

2022-02-13_18.54.28.jpg
Plains

2022-02-13_18.55.25.jpg
Using the resource pack. All biomes look like this.