Completed Skerry Island Immersion

Sapper

Playwright
Hello Me and Jake are applying for immersion build of a Island in the North, this island is near the island of House Long. We plan to redo all the terra of the island, this includes the Cliffs, Beaches, and Hills. We plan to add 2 active wooden huts and a ruined wooden hut, I know you may be asking why should there be houses here?

First as I said before, this Island is Northwest of Long and is fairly close, as are the Iron Island and the Stoney Shore. It would makes sense that a farmer/ fisher (or a group) may have been exiled or left voluntarily to this island. This island is also prime fishing territory so people would take the risk in order to survive, so we propose a population of around 3-6, one house for one family and another for another family or just kids from the original family. We know that people would live on remote island like this one and like Lonely Light, Canon describes people wanting to be isolated to their own island to live peacefully. We believe that 1 or 2 houses would really help bring out this immersion, if you need more convincing please let us know. Below you will see some tests, a Steep Cliff test, a Grassy Cliff test, a Beach Test, and a House Test.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 10.38.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 10.38.03 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 84
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 10.38.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 10.38.09 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 81
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 10.38.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 10.38.14 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 78
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 10.38.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 10.38.18 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 80
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 10.40.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 10.40.30 PM.png
    216.1 KB · Views: 86
  • map test.jpg
    map test.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 89

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
hmm. I'd say an island like this wouldn't produce enough timber to create a primarily wooden house. Maybe you could try making some stone and turf creations? Johan made clochans on his Skellig to the closer to Amber but its totally possible to make wheelhouses like those at Jarlshof or the rectangular two roomed dwellings like the Knap of Howar (one of the oldest settlements in the British Isles).

Elduwin

Skinchanger
Staff member
Quick feedback: I'd invite you to reconsider where you're planning to put the cliffs and the beaches, i.e where the currents, waves and winds would be the strongest and where not.
Right now, the tips of the island have beaches planned, whereas it would be where the currents are the strongest, so I'd recommend to put stone cliffs there. Beaches could form in the less tumultuous areas, like coves.

Sapper

Playwright
Alright I will do cliffs all around the tips of the island that makes sense thanks, and the island will have a few trees, I think they would have enough to make 2 houses but if you disagree I can do something like Johan did,

Last edited:

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
in my experience with some logging, to make a log cabin or even a plank structure (by riving the logs) you'd need a sizeable copse of trees. Think a separate straight trunked tree for every vertical post and every 8th plank in the wall. A possible compromise is to make the houses partly stone, which would not only make them resist woodrot better, but also use less total wood.

Sapper

Playwright
Here is the new style, Its super similar to the Frost Style (Credit to Scubooty for this style)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 2.41.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 2.41.59 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
  • Sad
Reactions: IronGentleGiant
Yeah I liked the older style better but ig this makes more sense
Why then not make a combination of the two? The style you had in the deleted post is definitely a step in the right direction. Maybe take some time to do more testing, look into the other feedback and then make a big post with all new things and an updated map in it. Trying to rush things like this won't do you any favors in the long run.

I personally really like the gradual rise the island has with the grassy slopes and exposed rock. I would recommend enhancing the current terrain, rather than terraforming over it. That being said I like the terraforming tests so far. However, I am not sold on the biome choices. I think the goal would be to make it wet and moist. The current biome choices do not really represent that to me.

All together I think this immersion would benefit from some more extended testing. Certainly style-wise.​

Jakethesnake8_8

Firemage
Pronouns
he/him
So, terra wise, the island will be based on South Uist, in Scotland, with the coast facing open water would be a gentle slope, with sandy beaches and the opposite coast would have a less uniform coastline.

Also could we get a warp set to the island as /warp northislandimmersion as the name is still pending (lol)

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
I think all of the Northern islands should definitely have a consistent style; this could be an extended editor project if you're interested. Perhaps even the mainland coasts should have some moss and rocks added.

BTW, just be cautious of having too pronounced headlands and bays for the small islands. These typically form when you have linear sections of discordant coastline, where you have stripes of different types of stone that run perpendicular to the coastline. For a small island it's less likely that the coastline would be like this, and you also want to consider the particular wave dynamics that would occur with islands (i.e. where erosion would be strongest, where sediments would be carried and collect, etc.)

Sapper

Playwright
Yes we used Scotland and Ireland as inspiration, thanks for the feedback, we will take this into account!

Also I am interested in Long and some of the surrounding islands, in the future I might apply for that solo project I’m not sure yet.

Scubooty

Bookbinder
I think all of the Northern islands should definitely have a consistent style; this could be an extended editor project if you're interested. Perhaps even the mainland coasts should have some moss and rocks added.

BTW, just be cautious of having too pronounced headlands and bays for the small islands. These typically form when you have linear sections of discordant coastline, where you have stripes of different types of stone that run perpendicular to the coastline. For a small island it's less likely that the coastline would be like this, and you also want to consider the particular wave dynamics that would occur with islands (i.e. where erosion would be strongest, where sediments would be carried and collect, etc.)
I don't want to have this conversation take over the thread but Perhaps this can be only applicable to the Western Islands. I've already completed my islands at Frost and that was specifically done with the Extreme Hills in mind so I would probably have to redo them to account for this change.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
I don't want to have this conversation take over the thread but Perhaps this can be only applicable to the Western Islands. I've already completed my islands at Frost and that was specifically done with the Extreme Hills in mind so I would probably have to redo them to account for this change.
I think that could be justifiable given latitude/climate differences. As long as we're just somewhat systematic about Westeros's biomes, climate, and geology, and use that knowledge to make our terraforming styles consistent across projects. Generally grass and sedges in high latitude areas like Iceland would turn that orange/brown hue in the winter months when exposed to frost and snow (e.g. [1], [2]), but perhaps for the lower latitude, non-snowy areas of the North it makes sense to have a bit more greenery around the coasts where the climate would be a bit milder.

But yeah, I think any further discussion on this topic should happen in a separate thread for organizational purposes.