Withdrawn Saltpans by Nomorefun_

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
It's happening!

I'm loving these ideas and the wooden sept insp is hot af. However, some of the tests I think could be refined a bit more. The row of middle class houses would look nice with a bit more vertical wood elements in them. For instance, upper stories being vertical planks rather than horizontal.
The Guildhall I love but am not sure about the wooden stepped gable on the street side. I think a bit more playing around with variations on the gable would be good. Also, I'm not sure about the mansard/bell roof on the special building/house for wealthy family. It could have some improvement around the sides as well. I'm not sure the half wattle looks too nice at the sides of the roof.

Ric

Ser
Staff member
Hey NMF!

I had a quick look over your app and, although I might find other questions after a more throughout look, I would like to ask: how do you plan to represent the effects of the war in the Saltpans lands? Specially in the western parts, which would be closer to an area currently dominated by the Lannisters

Nomorefun_

Royal Messenger
Hey NMF!

I had a quick look over your app and, although I might find other questions after a more throughout look, I would like to ask: how do you plan to represent the effects of the war in the Saltpans lands? Specially in the western parts, which would be closer to an area currently dominated by the Lannisters
So first we know that Saltpans are 7 days ride from Crossroad Inn, and we know that Tywins army was mostly focused on north bank of Trident to meet army of North, so probably they do not focus on out of the way town. For me only the small group of foragers go so east from main army so maybe some burned fields or looted barns in west part of lands can be signs of war. Remember that after battle of Green Fork, in Harrenhall Tywin let his dogs off the leash.

Nomorefun_

Royal Messenger
It's happening!

I'm loving these ideas and the wooden sept insp is hot af. However, some of the tests I think could be refined a bit more. The row of middle class houses would look nice with a bit more vertical wood elements in them. For instance, upper stories being vertical planks rather than horizontal.
The Guildhall I love but am not sure about the wooden stepped gable on the street side. I think a bit more playing around with variations on the gable would be good. Also, I'm not sure about the mansard/bell roof on the special building/house for wealthy family. It could have some improvement around the sides as well. I'm not sure the half wattle looks too nice at the sides of the roof.
1. So I have example of vertical planks for roof level, but this is good point to make it the most chosen option.
2. About the wood gable i try do something what usually is made of stone or brick, I wanted to make the front side rich and more interesting but i can try something different.
3. For the wealth house i can try fix this and look how it will work.

Reactions: AerioOndos

DutchGuard

Shadowbinder
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Houses are made of wood, doubt and thatch with addition of bricks or stone in town.
I know this is a probably a spelling error but I actually love the idea of "doubt" being one of the local building materials

The app looks great NMF. Is there any reason you didn't want to do Quiet Isle? If you are approved it could be a sub-project open for applications.

Jakethesnake8_8

Firemage
Pronouns
he/him
I know this is a probably a spelling error but I actually love the idea of "doubt" being one of the local building materials

The app looks great NMF. Is there any reason you didn't want to do Quiet Isle? If you are approved it could be a sub-project open for applications.
Omg yes I love this idea!

Reactions: FD001__

Nomorefun_

Royal Messenger

For me Quite Isle is something between Maidenpool and Saltpans and independent from them. Also the path of gods is at south side of isle, and I think it will ideal as immersion project. Quiet Isle is important in canon and I think it deserve it's own thread.

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
Hey Fun,

Nice app! I especially like the walls.

House Hawick is also noted as the rulers of Saltpans, but they aren't mentioned in your app.
What is the relation of house Hawick to Saltpans according to you and why are they not part of the plans?

In your app you mention farming along the Trident.
Would the land around the estuary of the Trident be feasible for crop farming? I think it likely the area wouldn't be very fertile along the riverbanks given the potential brackish water this close to the sea. Given the Trident's nature, it's likely the river has a tidal reach similar to the rivers Thames, Rhine/Meuse/Scheldt and Ems. I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

On a final note, would you like to make saltmaking and saltfarming (from wells) guide? You seem to have studied the process extensively and it would be a great boon to the server if you manage to make a clear guide for the proces.

Nomorefun_

Royal Messenger
Hey Fun,

Nice app! I especially like the walls.

House Hawick is also noted as the rulers of Saltpans, but they aren't mentioned in your app.
What is the relation of house Hawick to Saltpans according to you and why are they not part of the plans?

In your app you mention farming along the Trident.
Would the land around the estuary of the Trident be feasible for crop farming? I think it likely the area wouldn't be very fertile along the riverbanks given the potential brackish water this close to the sea. Given the Trident's nature, it's likely the river has a tidal reach similar to the rivers Thames, Rhine/Meuse/Scheldt and Ems. I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

On a final note, would you like to make saltmaking and saltfarming (from wells) guide? You seem to have studied the process extensively and it would be a great boon to the server if you manage to make a clear guide for the proces.
1. I have problem with House Hawick because only member mentioned in books is a Bellena Hawick, the wife of Ser Hosteen Frey, so or this house is extinct in male line or any other event caused that they don't rule Saltpans any more. Ser Quincy Cox is the Knight of Saltpans so either he inherited these lands or received them, for example, after the rebellion of Robert, where the Hawick family supported the Targaryen. One of the west hamlets can have any old knight tower which was original seat of Coxs.
2. Farming along Trindent is mentioned in books, but I will make something like a scrub line along banks and farmland will be like a 3 blocks above water. East of town i will try put farming areas more inland when the proper bay beggin.
3. For the saltmaking I wanted make an article for rookery but unfortunately don't have enough time for this because of study and personal life

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
Regarding house Hawick: House Cox could be bannermen of them in charge of defending the main port of their lands, while the Hawicks have a seat elsewhere in the area.

It could explain how a relatively old town which once could have grown to be a city ends up with a local lord with just a towerhouse and a wall to keep himself safe.

Nomorefun_

Royal Messenger
Regarding house Hawick: House Cox could be bannermen of them in charge of defending the main port of their lands, while the Hawicks have a seat elsewhere in the area.

It could explain how a relatively old town which once could have grown to be a city ends up with a local lord with just a towerhouse and a wall to keep himself safe.
The wiki say that they are from Saltpans so from town, also House Hawick have seabirds in their arms, so they are connected with coast. So or they are replaced by House Cox or they move to another location but still use a connotation with Saltpans. So they actual seat be more modern more comfortable than defensible. This case is to solv by mods beouse about House Hawick we have negligible information.

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
I was typing up an idea which mysteriously deleted itself but anyway, I was thinking maybe the town and quiet isle could be moved further upstream a bit? Currently maidenpool is seems closer to the island than saltpans, while there is no mention. Of being able to see maidenpool from the island. If both were moved to be more distant from MP, it’d be easier for rorge to get to and sack too.
In order to not block the river the island could be moved closer to the wetlands on the southern part ( which is going to have the secret connection path and this not be navigable by large vessels anyway, right?

Nomorefun_

Royal Messenger
I was typing up an idea which mysteriously deleted itself but anyway, I was thinking maybe the town and quiet isle could be moved further upstream a bit? Currently maidenpool is seems closer to the island than saltpans, while there is no mention. Of being able to see maidenpool from the island. If both were moved to be more distant from MP, it’d be easier for rorge to get to and sack too.
In order to not block the river the island could be moved closer to the wetlands on the southern part ( which is going to have the secret connection path and this not be navigable by large vessels anyway, right?
I agree about moving the Isle upstream, the path through Trindent should be more in the middle of southern wetlands, for me moving Saltpans to the west is not a problem.

Reactions: DutchGuard

DutchGuard

Shadowbinder
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Agreed, the quiet isle move can be done by whoever applies for that project. I would note that Saltpans still needs to have a port deep enough for large seafaring vessels though.

DutchGuard

Shadowbinder
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Hmmm you could probably still get away with it considering the scaling of our map is nowhere near 1:1, but I'll leave you to decide what is best.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey NMF,

I finally got a chance to look through the app in more detail. I like your plans and map! I do agree with most of the above discussion about moving Saltpans town and Quiet Isle a bit more upstream, though I wouldn't go as far as #8 with the former.

Other than that, I have some feedback on some of the tests as well:

- The castle test feels much too plain/monotonous at the moment. While the simple square towerhouse makes sense and matches canon, I'd recommend playing around with the gradient, corrosion, foliage, and subtle architectural details to make it a bit more interesting. I wouldn't use the large stone brick block as a major part of the gradient, but rather just as an accent block. I recommend taking a look at recent Norman-inspired crownlands castles like Mallery and Gaunt for ideas. Farring does a good job showing age/corrosion in the gradient as well.

- I like the idea of the guildhouse in the salt square (I saw the updated version), but it still feels a little bit sterile & plain to me. Similarly to the castle, I probably wouldn't use the large stone brick as a base, but only as an accent block when applicable. Otherwise I think you just need to keep experimenting a bit more, and perhaps make the square test a bit more complete. I think having some of the other details in the square will help make the guildhall a bit more interesting.

- I'm not really a fan of the townhouses with the row of wood half doors in the middle ("Townhouse for middle class" in the document); the full row of vertical planks just feels a bit clunky to me. I think it would look better if you either had the second floor overhang, or you had the entire top half be vertical planks like Aeks suggested.

- I like the "highland style" tests! Though I'd add in some spots of "brownish white plaster" here and there.

Overall I feel like you're on a good track, but I'm a bit worried about cohesiveness of the town style and would like to see a bit more development on that; perhaps a more complete street test or something.

otty

Sorcerer
Pronouns
she/her
Any way we can get some terra tests for your forest and unique features?

I know you said you didn't want to touch the mountains due to an upcoming height update, but I wouldn't let that stop you too much from starting to create appropriate foothills for your mountains now.

In regards to the style: I like it, but I fear it feels too unique next to Wickenden and Maidenpool — is there any plan to help transition it from those projects a bit? Stylistically its a bit too different but maybe a few more white daub homes in the plans might improve this issue.

Last edited: