Riverlands-Vale border style proposition, discussions and inspirations

Nomorefun_

Royal Messenger
hello everyone !

I want start discussion and debate about ideas and inspirations about style of houses and buildings along Riverlands-Vale border.
The Mountains of the Moon separate both regions and makes it difficult to change style of building. When we sure about more alpine look and style of Vale, riverlands style is more difficult to establish. Along Trident style should be mostly similar because of ease transfer of ideas and lifestyle by rivers which connect all regions of riverlands. More problematic is style nearer mountains and in the distance from the river. Like the east side of mountain range is bleak and inhospitable. The mountains have snow-capped grey-green peaks. Rock slides are common and its foothills are rocky, high and wild. Not super place to live so i thing in this region will be place for the mountains clans of Vale. But in more liveable areas of foothills should be style reflecting the more stone and wood character of this area than general more lowland and river style of Riverlands.

My idea about this style is to use inspiration for houses from Lusatia region at tripoint of Germany, Poland and Czech. It is a highland region of Sudeten Mountains foreland were influences of germanic and slavic culture were mixing.
I think in general style of Central Europe highlands can work just to marking the difference between the style and the typical alpine look of buildings in Vale and still have connections with lowland style of Riverlands.

I am curious about your opinion and ideas for this special more mountainous subregion in generally flat Riverlands.

NMF

Attachments

• 3cb62f970b2e696b3376d02a36aaa44a.png
    3cb62f970b2e696b3376d02a36aaa44a.png
    578.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 6445_chalupa-z-jurzyna_thb.jpg
    6445_chalupa-z-jurzyna_thb.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 13
  • doubice.PNG
    doubice.PNG
    937.3 KB · Views: 11
  • imageq.png
    imageq.png
    919.4 KB · Views: 11
  • xIMG_0656.jpg
    xIMG_0656.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 12

Jakethesnake8_8

Firemage
Pronouns
he/him
Raids of clans also are important aspect of building style and a way how hamlets and villages are planing.
Yup, specific environmental stimuli like that are important to consider. I’m guessing more palisaded villages and more defensive plotting (closer houses, tight corners in roads) would also provide that feel.

Weather-wise, I think the area along the trident would get less rain from the coast due to the rain shadow effect, but I think the estuary of the trident could allow for some a slightly more wet climate due to warm air being sort of shunted between the mountains at Cracklaw and the Mountains of the Moon. This can be represented by having steeper rooves to better deflect rainwater away from the rafters so they don’t rot as easily.

It might also be an idea in the estuarine portion of the Vale-Riverlands transition to use whitewashing techniques, as this protects from weathering, particularly in coastal areas (This is a common practise in Welsh houses). As I understand it, Maidenpool is going to have whitewashed housing as well, so that would be easy to transition into the rest of the area.

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
From the sound of it, the Trident gets rain coming through from the sunset sea, considering how heavily it rained when Cat was higher in the green fork catchment and that it'd make sense for Iron Island storms to roll south under the cape of , it would make sense that the trident was a high rainfall area, particularly where there will be a meeting of Sunset and narrow sea airmasses.

I love the insp images for the region, NMF. Really nice style that would work well in both regions and particularly is good for the southern salient along the Bay of Crabs and Trident area (Wickenden, Ruthermonth, Saltpans, Cox etc. Are these mostly for the Trident catchment area or could they also work to the north, between Newkeep and the Frey dominated area?

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
I'm wondering where you'd implement this and how it would relate to surrounding projects. Wickenden, Lolliston, Haigh and Erenford are all relatively new/active projects scattered along the border with the Vale. Except for Wickenden, all of these adhere in some capacity to the current style for the Riverlands.

Don't get me wrong, I like the inspiration. But I think the area is simply too much developed by now to retroactively decide on a regional style.

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Haigh and Erenford sit on the river. They aren't really 'when the riverlands side (is) more hilly' that this style would work best in. The completed, riverlands styles in this hilly region really are only Nutten and Grey. Currently there's two in progress builds, Loliston and Haigh, which have room for a 'highlands' style within them.There are three unstarted and two redo-approved project in the area too; Charlton, Penny, Cox and Newkeep, Saltpans.

That seems like enough of an area to justify a new style to me, especially since the Grey is a small, remote project. The map below is a short visual representation of the above. Blue is suggested areas for the Lusatian style.

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Castles wouldn't need to be changed really imo. Mostly they're near the river which would be much more homogenised. Its house style that would be good. Imo, Lolliston doesn't need to change, there's enough space that could have a lusatian style.