Rattlez

Messenger
What is your Minecraft username?
Rattlez

What is your age?
21-24

In what country are you living?
Denmark

Where did you first hear about WesterosCraft?
Don't Remember

What do you like the most about GoT/ASoIaF?
The depth of history, factionalism, political intrigue and characters. Read the books before it was cool and all that.

What is your favorite build on our server?
Fairmarket

Why do you want to join our server?
I heve been a builder for several eyars but went MIA due to joining the army and being too busy with degrees and work to game much. I also got tired of my projects and gaming in general. I want to reapply to finish what I started 3 years ago and because I enjoy building in MC.

MyBuild1.png

Did you follow the application rules?
You know nothing, Jon Snow

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Hey Rattlez,

Good to have you back on the team. Let's get you back to your testing again! Can you build me a house in the style of Cape Kraken? Fermont is a good warp to head to.

Reactions: Rattlez

Rattlez

Messenger
Hey Rattlez,

Good to have you back on the team. Let's get you back to your testing again! Can you build me a house in the style of Cape Kraken? Fermont is a good warp to head to.
fermont1.png

Closest House is a small basic one, second house is a bit more interesting with a slight level change. Biome is plains so no cool yellow grass. Should probably also have made the houses slightly longer - maybe 7X11 instead of 7x9

Reactions: Die Wursttheke

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Can you show me some ints too please? Just need to check ceiling, tables etc. Windows too.

with the house on the right, you need to make sure the dirt isn’t visible between the half door and the wall block. Just using normal plank blocks would be fine. Also you might want to finish off the chimney with a granite slab or wall to give it just that little extra bit of detail. Or just smoke should be fine.
In regards to gradient, try and put more dark cobble (the most worn and weathered of the palette) to the corners and where the most erosion would be. As you know, you can use stairs and wall blocks to crate even more erosion details if need be.

You can attach interior pics of one of the cottages along with the next challenge build.

For you next challenge, can you build me a herbalist in the style of Norreyham1.

Rattlez

Messenger
Can you show me some ints too please? Just need to check ceiling, tables etc. Windows too.

with the house on the right, you need to make sure the dirt isn’t visible between the half door and the wall block. Just using normal plank blocks would be fine. Also you might want to finish off the chimney with a granite slab or wall to give it just that little extra bit of detail. Or just smoke should be fine.
In regards to gradient, try and put more dark cobble (the most worn and weathered of the palette) to the corners and where the most erosion would be. As you know, you can use stairs and wall blocks to crate even more erosion details if need be.

You can attach interior pics of one of the cottages along with the next challenge build.

For you next challenge, can you build me a herbalist in the style of Norreyham1.
House 2.png
House 2
House 2 Int1.png
House 2 interior 1
House 2 int 2.png
House 2 interior 2
House 1 int 1.png
House 1 (the one with the odd balcony because it's a little different)
House 1 int 2.png
House 1 Interior 2

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Alrighty so first off is we don't use trapdoors in any situation where they're not meant to move. Use a wooden carpet instead for shelves, bench tops etc. There is a variant of each wooden carpet block that doesn't need a block underneath it. Use them. Also, the basket texture now has a bottom that looks like planks! try using these to streamline benches.

Norrey = No thatch beds please, Just Northern. Just one singular door so there are fewer places for heat to escape and only 1 window tops at the ends of the building so they double as heat escapes. Also no oak furniture please. Jungle or spruce furniture only. Give the roof supports a 'cross beam' using spruce fence gate. Sort of what you've done for the spit but using plank fence where it intersects the support.

Also, that's not a great way to do a spit especially for the norrey style. If you want roasting meat, do it over a ember but with no safe fire. I'd also make the firepit pebbles and/or slabs around the ember block, rather than a big 3x3 firepit. I know its practically the same space taken up but it feels lesser with the pebbles. Then, use horizontal chain + iron fence to create a little frame for the spit and the supports it sits on.

With the windows, if your doing a 2 wide, 1 high window, make sure to either put halfdoors as a middle support or to replace the two open spaces with our funky new window blocks whose frame will do this for you. Then just stick the shutters on the outside.

For the Cape Kraken house, I'd get rid of the stone stair in front of the furnace. Its not needed, particularly as we now have the hollow furnace blocks. Also, don't stick a cleaver into stone. Instead, hang the garlic from the ceiling just above the bench, transform the bench into a two stairs facing each other so its simpler and move the cleaver onto the those wooden blocks.

Good work with the managing the style updates so far. We've changed quite a few things over the years. Something a bit more southern this time. Can you build me a house in the style of Middlebury! If you fly east of the town you'll see Pabs' updated styleguide. Middle Class weaver.

Best of Luck!

Rattlez

Messenger
Alrighty so first off is we don't use trapdoors in any situation where they're not meant to move. Use a wooden carpet instead for shelves, bench tops etc. There is a variant of each wooden carpet block that doesn't need a block underneath it. Use them. Also, the basket texture now has a bottom that looks like planks! try using these to streamline benches.

Norrey = No thatch beds please, Just Northern. Just one singular door so there are fewer places for heat to escape and only 1 window tops at the ends of the building so they double as heat escapes. Also no oak furniture please. Jungle or spruce furniture only. Give the roof supports a 'cross beam' using spruce fence gate. Sort of what you've done for the spit but using plank fence where it intersects the support.

Also, that's not a great way to do a spit especially for the norrey style. If you want roasting meat, do it over a ember but with no safe fire. I'd also make the firepit pebbles and/or slabs around the ember block, rather than a big 3x3 firepit. I know its practically the same space taken up but it feels lesser with the pebbles. Then, use horizontal chain + iron fence to create a little frame for the spit and the supports it sits on.

With the windows, if your doing a 2 wide, 1 high window, make sure to either put halfdoors as a middle support or to replace the two open spaces with our funky new window blocks whose frame will do this for you. Then just stick the shutters on the outside.

For the Cape Kraken house, I'd get rid of the stone stair in front of the furnace. Its not needed, particularly as we now have the hollow furnace blocks. Also, don't stick a cleaver into stone. Instead, hang the garlic from the ceiling just above the bench, transform the bench into a two stairs facing each other so its simpler and move the cleaver onto the those wooden blocks.

Good work with the managing the style updates so far. We've changed quite a few things over the years. Something a bit more southern this time. Can you build me a house in the style of Middlebury! If you fly east of the town you'll see Pabs' updated styleguide. Middle Class weaver.

Best of Luck!
2022-10-11_09.18.17.png
2022-10-11_09.20.02.png
2022-10-11_09.20.23.png
2022-10-11_09.20.31.png
2022-10-11_09.20.44.png
2022-10-11_09.20.55.png
2022-10-11_09.21.06.png

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Heya,

Feedback provided in game.

-reduce the clutter. Sometimes having a more open room is better than having each corner filled by stuff.
-Keep crates in industrial or workshop spaces.
-Shared some improved ideas for looms.

Next Challenge is a Hammerhal potter.

Last edited:

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Okay so here are my points
-for the ceiling under workshop annex, you need to have slabs beside the stairs to support the roof. it can't just be bare thatch undersides
-Don't have heavy containers like chests and crates up in a loft accessible by ladder only unless there's a crane. Plus, only use rope ladders if its going to be retracted frequently. Otherwise, solid wooden ladders are best. they're cheaper and more effective besides.
-It might have been a better idea to have the potters wheel outside, where you don't have to deal with the heat from the kiln drying it out.
-speaking of the kiln, have some kind of shutter or boarding to close that down and make it heat the clay better.
-I'd just replace the fences with oak halfdoors and create a screen that separates the bedroom off from the main living space. They can be fine for supports too imo.
-I wouldn't put the two small windows together to make a horizontal 2x1 window unless the surrounding material is vertical planks. that way it doesn't feel like you need an enormous lintel to support the rest of the wall on top of it.
-As usual, the exts are fine. Ints are improving. Try experimenting with making larger fireplaces using other blocks too!

Your next challenge build is a courier in the style of Duskendale. Two floors would be fine.

Rattlez

Messenger
Front, facing street - black on the left is outline of adjacent building
2022-10-13_22.08.59.png
Back, facing yard - small stable for a mule for longer travels maybe
2022-10-13_22.09.43.png
Little detailed featuring a sheltered stand where customers can drop letters into an empty barrel placed on the inside (see next image)
2022-10-13_22.10.37.png
Lower floro outhouse featuring a large cabinet containing letter + empty barrel + ledger to track deliveries.
2022-10-13_22.09.16.png
Lower floor with kitchen, various storage and dining table + small rug and some firewood
2022-10-13_22.09.53.png
Upper floor, small desk with old ledgers + fireplace and shelves
2022-10-13_22.10.03.png
Upper floor, storage, small table with candle, small platform for additional storage + rug
2022-10-13_22.10.10.png
Upper floor, bedroom with 2 adult beds + additional furs for children + small storage unit with cabinet and draws
2022-10-13_22.10.21.png

So for this one I tried to keep the upper floor more "clean" in it's look as it was less functional and I saw it as a space primarily for living and storage. lower floor is more dirty and functional with kitchen and more traffic during a working day.

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
I had written a response and for some reason the draft disappeared. You're getting there with the ints and the exts are doing quite well, but there's still a few things to watch out for.

The room in the last image needs something to use the upper space for. Even a small loft could work nicely with just baskets or even just a bit of strewn thatch around the place. having a few little fences to support ceilings and lofts is a good idea in duskendale style.
Also, use other blocks for larger tables. Parquet topped tables generally don't get used unless in quite wealthy settings so experiment with carpets on top of halfdoors, 2x2 things of hoppers, upside down stairs or slabs with a halfdoor at each end to work out what works best as replacements.

Alrighty! I'm sure you can work on those minor points left about how to use space in a short probation. It'd just be 5 houses in 5 diff styles. Goodluck and I can't wait to see what you pull off with the tests on your plot! Great to have you back