Proposal for Borders of Several Projects in the Westerlands

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
The borders in the valley north of the River Road aren't very well defined despite some clear geographical borders between areas (mountains, rivers, etc.). This is especially the case for the location of Kyndall. Kyndall's warp is currently on the same side of the river as Ashemark, but I see some issues with the current location.Screen Shot 2020-07-24 at 4.49.16 PM.png

Ashemark is a more important house than Kyndall with more canon. In fact, it's canon that Robb's army passes through Ashemark to get to the Crag, which is why I told Ric to put a road connecting Ashemark to the coast. It's currently unclear which rivers/streams are meant to be the borders for each of the lands in this area. As it currently stands, Ashemark could either have really oddly shaped lands on either side of the river or really small lands, Kyndall could have unreasonably large lands, or there could be an awkward amount of unclaimed lands on one side of the river. I'm proposing to codify the borders now so we don't run into issues later.

Unless there are reasonable objections, I plan to change the location of Kyndall's warp and put it on the eastern side of the river. Wyndhall and Myatt borders will remain as they are, and Ashemark will get the western hills, as well as the road heading into Vikary.

Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 1.28.53 PM.png

DutchGuard

Shadowbinder
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
What if we placed the virtual borders like the ones that were added recently for major builds and the 7 kingdoms?
It would be a lot of work but fun to see a house's borders
I would be quite happy to facilitate this. The hardest part is figuring out in-game where the border lies exactly, adding the lines to the dynmap takes some time but is fairly straightforward.

Once the above plans are okayed by all parties, lemonbear or anyone appointed by her, can place some wool markers (colour coded preferably) denoting the border lines and I can run through and place the dynmap lines according to the markers.

As general advice for the marker placing, each marker will denote a corner of a polyline. The more markers, the more elaborate the shape but also more work. Compare for example the area markers for Lannisport and Highgarden on the dynmap.

PS: For that matter, if anyone would like to do this to their own project, feel free to place some markers, make sure your neighbours (if the builder is active) are happy with them, and let me know.

PPS: If you're project lies on a region border you can omit placing markers along that border. If you think the regional border is in the wrong place let me know. The key with this stuff is getting it right the first time, it can be a real headache to amend later.

Last edited:

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
I feel like border markers in-game could be added later, but I don't really see a point in doing it right now, especially before these projects even have applications in the works. I just want the future project leaders to have an idea of how the space should be distributed.

JohanKR850

Royal Messenger
Great work Lem, we need more of this for all the regions. Dutch adding these lines to the old gift and the new gift could make a lot of sense since there is a difference between the two (the old gift is totally abandoned, and the new gift is not). And the borders are almost straight the whole way (exception being some stuff in the northern mountains.