Withdrawn Project Application: Seagard of House Mallister (update)

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
I like your plans for the lands and the castle, but I'm not too sure about your plans for the docks. Your illustration has super small entrances at really sharp angles, and I feel like it would be nearly impossible for large ships to maneuver as precisely as would be required to enter the docks.

Also, in terms of house tests, I'm happy with your lower class tests, but I'd like to see some 2 story house tests that are a bit of a mixture between the original Seagard style and the styles of nearby Keath and Erenford.

Dav4

Bard
Agreed about the docks! I was trying to find a way to fit all the ships in there but overthought it haha. So this is my next attempt,

Most longships are ~12 blocks wide and 30-60 blocks long. War galleys are much longer and a bit wider, probably ~15 blocks wide and 50-100 blocks long. The scale of these ships will have to be a bit on the smaller side to avoid looking like monstrosities. Anyway, I think these docks should allow for ships on the smaller scale of the above estimations. The purple is dock/walkway expansion. For the 6th ship, I think it would make sense to have one longship out on the lookout for most hours of the day, so they could either park it at another holdfast or just have it surveying 20/7 or something like that.

As for the two story houses, these are some renditions I came up with after checking out Keath and Erenford.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Just a minor stylistic thing, but you should avoid the horizontal “stripes” of the open daub & wattle blocks (the one without the cross frames). Take a look at some of the newer daub & wattle patterns in builds.

Dav4

Bard
Fixed the roof on the first house, and changed the daub a bit:

And added a third kind of style, prob the most upper-class for a few merchants. Kinda similar to what you would find in Fairmarket. Will also have a brickyard nearby for the houses that use brick.

Also I made another kind of middle class, more stone heavy design for the hamlets and town.

And here's a tentative plan for the town. It's kinda hard to scale things properly when drawing maps like this, but the general idea is to have a market area with the nicer houses, with the smaller poor houses on the edges as you come an go from the main town:

Attachments

• 1561315990247.png
    1561315990247.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1

Ecthelion

Storyteller
Hey Dav
Approved from me - at least if I had a vote ;)

One thing i'd like to adress are the roads though and one canon issue, spoilers ahead:

In the books Robs army marches back to the twins via Sevenstreams and Hag's mire, as the bridge at fairmarket is gone.
(Mallister joins the host at hag's mire, where Rob sends Maeger Mormont and Glover to seagard and to the neck.)
Meaning Rob is taking the army through the marches. Why would he do that?
Well at least on our server he has nice coastal road from oldstones to seagard and twins.
We also know as banty reminded us, there must be a road between oldstones and seagard as well, as caitlin took it once.
So the task would be to make the coastal road less preferable then the marches road for an army.

I suggest to have a seamless integration of the marches into the sea at the west end side (south of seagard, west of sevenstreams), and thus make the coastal road maybe dependable on the tides. A nice inspiration for this can be the wadden sea.
But maybe you lot have better ideas.

Enah

Skinchanger
I believe the market would benefit being closer to the harbour and castle, and the towns layout could be tightened someheck market could just be the main road leading to the keep itself, markets often were just a wide place in he road after all

Reactions: lemonbear

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
Hey Dav
Approved from me - at least if I had a vote ;)

One thing i'd like to adress are the roads though and one canon issue, spoilers ahead:

In the books Robs army marches back to the twins via Sevenstreams and Hag's mire, as the bridge at fairmarket is gone.
(Mallister joins the host at hag's mire, where Rob sends Maeger Mormont and Glover to seagard and to the neck.)
Meaning Rob is taking the army through the marches. Why would he do that?
Well at least on our server he has nice coastal road from oldstones to seagard and twins.
We also know as banty reminded us, there must be a road between oldstones and seagard as well, as caitlin took it once.
So the task would be to make the coastal road less preferable then the marches road for an army.

I suggest to have a seamless integration of the marches into the sea at the west end side (south of seagard, west of sevenstreams), and thus make the coastal road maybe dependable on the tides. A nice inspiration for this can be the wadden sea.
But maybe you lot have better ideas.
I would suggest making the area between the coast and the Blue Fork dunes. Do mind that dunes are not limited to barren sandy hills, but include sandy forests too. This would tie into canon in several ways:
  • Dunes are very efficient water filters, which might be the source of the "pure springs" of the Blue Fork.
  • Dunes are hard to traverse due to a combination of sandy hills, springs and thick forest. Paths through dunes are possible, but large armies would trample them down rather quickly.
  • Sandy beaches make for a good landing spot for the Ironborn, which are known to land in the area on several occations.