Completed Project Application - House Parren

Antony

Printmaker
Dutch, can u or someone else, take some new shader shots of the lands? I've done a few changes around, in flags, mills, so its right they should be updated

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Okay, I took a look! Very beautiful terraforming work in the project Ant, I love following all the little goat paths, finding the children of the forest ruins, exploring the mines and caves, etc.

My main feedback is a bit general. The settlements of Parren have a lot of small houses and fields/animal pens that are super tight and close together. That isn't necessarily a bad thing by itself, but it means that you need to keep other stylistic elements much simpler, to avoid overloading the eye.

However, there's a lot of stylistic elements in the main settlements that are rather messy too, and can be simplified without really losing much. Some examples of what I mean (though it's not an exhaustive list):

- A lot of the animal pens and fields have ground mixes which look like this. Much like doing castle gradients, you want to keep blocks separate when they contrast badly, like grass and mud, and you also want to make the mix less random and more "blobs". Lastly, in cases like this, you should apply slabs in a way which is a bit more even and less jagged.

- I'm counting 4/5 stone blocks in some of the small house gradients, which is too much, and makes the stone foundations look messy. You could probably get rid of the arbor cobble in all of the normal houses, for instance, and simplify the gradients a bit, and it would make things look nicer.

- If possible, simplifying some of the diagonal or curved stone walls around fields/yards in the densest areas of the settlements would be good. I'm also not sure that every vegetable garden in these denser areas needs a stone wall surrounding it. I think combining some of these, or doing light bush + wattle fence barriers, would look nicer.

- A few of the timber frame patterns in the villages could be improved. In particular, I've noticed some which use this horizontal row - I've never really liked this pattern, and it doesn't seem to make much structural sense either. I'd probably revise those.

Those are just some suggestions about the things that I think could make the most difference. Overall, though, I want you to do a final sweep over the main settlements of Parren, and assess which elements are essential, and which ones can be simplified a bit. For the ones that can be simplified, go ahead and do those so that the essential details are more of a focal point without being overwhelmed by the other details.

Also, one more thing: I noticed that the first men cave ruins behind the castle still use a lot of manmade brick blocks. Is that intentional, or should some of those be replaced with the terrainset stairs/slabs/etc.?

Sorry for giving this feedback so late. Once you make these changes, I'm more than happy to approve. Again, great work with everything overall.

Antony

Printmaker
I quite agree, and I'll try to fix them, as soon as I can.
I must admit, I'll need some help with the pens tbh, Willas did their floor, so, I dont know what he did tbh.

The tombs behind, yes, thats intenional, supposed to be man made, like the giants tombs in Sardinia.

Last edited: