Withdrawn Project Application: House Norcross of Norcross by IronGiant

IronGentleGiant

Playwright
A picture containing text  Description automatically generated
House Norcross of Norcross

Presented by the GentleIrongiant, better known as
PeanutGuy

Resume: Uffering Holdfast 2, Knott Holdfast,
Project Co-Lead on Norrey, Rousemont Quarry and Hamlet, Previous Project Co-Lead on Darkdell,
Medieval Industry & Siege Warfare Expertise

House Norcross is a noble house from the Reach. According to semi-canon sources, they blazon their shield with a cross embattled, black on white.

Ser Jeffory Norcross, known as Neveryield, was a member of the Kingsguard. – A Feast for Crows

Ser Hosman Norcross was a household knight in service to Ser Colin Florent when he received an offer to marry Colin’s daughter, Delena Her father had already declined a match with Tyrion Lannister who had been offered only after Delena was deflowered by King Robert I Baratheon in the wedding bed of her cousin, Selyse, and his brother, Stannis. The result of that union was Edric Storm. – A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords

Ser Bayard Norcross (not known what relation he has to the current Norcross Lord) is among the household knights who spend time with Queen Margaery Tyrell. Queen Cersei Lannister has an arrest warrant signed for Bayard as part of her plan to get rid of Margaery. He is sent to the dungeons of the Red Keep after his arrest. – A Feast for Crows

(Some interest of note is that the current Grandmaster of the Teutonic Order has the ser name Bayard)

Ser Tyler Norcross was a knight and head of House Norcross during the civil war known as the Dance of Dragons. He was a part of the Caltrops, a group of 13 Nobles from the Reach who plotted to kill the Two Betrayers during the Dance of Dragons. Except for 3 Caltrops, he and the others were all killed during the Second Battle of Tumbleton. – Fire & Blood, The Princess and the Queen

The Plan

1665458116447.png
  • 1. Norcross Keep (and Castle) will be modeled after Chateau de Falaise – translated as Cliff Castle or Castle of the Cliffs. The keep as with Falaise will feature a Great Donjon, a petite Donjon, and a large signal tower. The signal tower beacon will not be lit as it is used to signal an Ironborn Landing. The southern wall or pasture wall will have three towers and a gatehouse, with the western tower being a beacon tower. It will rise a few meters above a shallow ditch. The northern wall or cliffside wall will be lower in height than the southern wall. The yard will either feature a few siege weapons or a fortified sept, separate kitchen, stables, and a blacksmith.​
  • 2. The Mander Bay - I read somewhere and I believe it canon that the mouth of the Mander is a Bay rather than a series of sandbars at low tide. I like the sandbars layout, but think there should be a bay, so I think it best to submerge the masses of sandbars under the water. Alternatively, some at the edge of the bay could stay (though made slightly smaller in size) and the rest could be elmiminated.​
  • 3. Norcross Town has a wharf that rest 2-3 meters above the bay with a small creek entering the bay through the center of town. The creek has various headwaters from the cliff hills to the south and there are times when the creek floods causing damage to the houses in the center of town, with a few being abandoned occasionally. The industry of the town is located on higher ground, while there is evidence of construction efforts to raise the lower sections around the creek to help prevent flooding. The main thoroughfare of the town is located on the road leading along the cliffside up to the castle gatehouse. It has a small gatehouse entrance and a mixture of stone and timber framed houses lining the road up to the castle entrance. For inspiration I’ll be using the town of Chateau de Rocamadour. The town will consist of less than 20 plots, mostly middle low-class with a few middle-class plots. Among those are possibly a sailor’s tavern and an inn.​
  • 4. Norcross Fishing Co., Salt Storage & Drying Complex – The town has a wayside wharf used by their own Fishing Company (currently numbering 3 vessels) and other Merchant companies. The little bay town’s main commodity is “Sunset Cod” of which only a few Houses know where to get. The Cod is dried on land at the complex, where sea salt bought from Uffering is stored. Salt is then sold to various trade and fishing vessels transiting the Mander River. Sales of Cod bring in much revenue for the Norcross. Once caught far out in an unknown region of the Sunset Sea, the Cod is salted and then brought to be dried. After drying, it is put on barges and shipped upriver to various market towns including HighGarden. The wharf/harbor may feature 2 or 3 harbor towers based on the La Rochelle Harbor Towers and used to direct ships as they close in on the harbor.​
  • 5. The Lagoon is to be razed and the land then raised between 10 meters in the West to 5 meters in the East with a Limestone Bluff extending along the southern side of the Mander until it bends south near Castle Ball. It’ll be like the Bluff on the Eastern shore of the Mobile Bay in Alabama. On the created plateau will be a large farmland consisting of wheat, barley, buckwheat, etcetera. A shallow ravine will flow through the center of what once was the Lagoon. The south of the ravine will feed a reservoir that powers the local grain mill. The mill hamlet will consist of 7 low class farmhouses and a barn.​
  • 6. Island Hillfort – The Bluff will extend near an island in the Mander. The Island holds a First Men Hillfort repurposed with modern Reach fortifications to act as a holdfast and/or rendezvous point for local Reach forces to gather in the event of an Ironborn raid. The Hillfort will feature a signal tower. On the mainland there is a small hamlet of 5 low class farmhouses and a fortified grain mill that connects to a dyke and wooden gatehouse around the hamlet. To the south of the hamlet and just before the covered bridge will be a series of abandoned and ruined stone houses from a long since past Ironborn raid.​
  • 7. Land Sold to Liege Lord Florent – The land down south was sold by a past Lord Norcross to their Liege Lord, a past Florent, and that Lord Norcross used the money from that land sale to build up Norcross’s current commercial endeavors.​
  • 8. The Forest, Cliff Hills of the South, and Shipbuilders – The forest interior of Norcros is heavy with thick undergrowth (dark green), except for the exterior where though still heavy, much of the undergrowth is sparse or nonexistent (light green). In the western part on top of some of the cliff hills, trees have begun to be felled for shipbuilding at Oldtown, the Arbor, the Shield Isles, or any other port cities in Westeros that specialized in shipbuilding and want strong timbers. Why is the timber strong? Cause trees that are located on the edge of a forest especially a cliff hill facing a coast generally receive stronger winds than trees further within the forest. For this reason, they are usually the strongest and sturdiest of timbers, making them prize material for shipbuilding. The current Lord Norcross has rented out 2 portions of the Forest to shipbuilding companies from the Arbor and Oldtown.​
  • 9. Martello Towers of Ireland – The coastal beacons are an optional idea, though I may consider not building them as my inspirations are from the 19th century Martello Towers of Ireland.​
  • 10. The Castle Plateau and Cow Pastures – The castle plateau is tall in the North where the castle sits on a cliffside 25 meters above the Bay. The ditch is roughly 5 meters below the pasture wall. From there the land has a series of shallow ditches and banks until it reaches the cliff hills in the south just before the Bandalon Road. The land is largely used for livestock grazing, as well as the coastal lands along the Bandalon road.​
  • Alternative Idea for Keep – If the current plans seem to bold or too powerful for Norcross, then I may do away with the castle walls, towers, and gatehouse in their finished phase. Instead, I’ll have them in either a phase of construction or just entirely non-existent.​

Tests at /warp IronGiant (top level)

The Norcross Castle

I’ll be using the Chateau de Falaise for inspiration. Below is a video of a virtual reconstruction of Falaise, from which I will focus on the Donjon of the castle from 1160 to 1250. I think I may add the hypothetical third level which is thought to have been destroyed supposedly by cannons in the 1500s.
Chateau de Falaise 3d Reconstruction

Exterior and Interior
Norcross Town

For inspiration, I’ll be using the town of Chateau de Rocamadour which winds through a series of gatehouse checkpoints around a cliffside up to the top of a plateau.

Rocamadour Screenshots

Norcross Wharf (Harbor)

For the wayside wharf, which I want to show as partially being under construction, I’ll be using some stuff from Wikipedia and other places, along with my industry expertise.

Terrain & Schems

I’ve talked to Ark about this and from what he said I think it is fine to do. For the terrain I want to keep it somewhat like the lands of Woodwright to the East and on the southern side of the Mander. I think I’ll expand this into Norcross with a few minor variations. The minor variations would be making the lands a bit stonier due to the bluffs I’ve imagined being in the area. Along the proposed Mander Bay, it’s been suggested that I incorporate some fair-sized bay shores. I may need some help with creating schems or tests when it comes to making the minor variations.

Pasted Graphic.pdf

Pasted Graphic 1.pdf

Pasted Graphic 2.pdf

Pasted Graphic 3.pdf

IronGentleGiant

Playwright
Just a notice. Some may not be able to see the images, but I can see them and a few others can too. Don't know what is going on for some of you. Btw, I'll include some test screenshots tomorrow.

Reactions: Bovine

IronGentleGiant

Playwright
“ I read somewhere and I believe it canon that the mouth of the Mander is a Bay rather than a series of sandbars at low tide.”

Can we have an actual quote rather than speculate?
I apologize for the late reply. Family matters kept me busy for some time and seemingly will keep me busy further, unless some thing changes.

I do remember where I read it, however, it really wouldn't be an actual quote. Rather it would be a map that I read and that map being from The Lands of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin. I cross analyzed our current map along with the one from the map book and found that the Mouth of the Mander should be more Bay like as most Bays I believe are sometimes referred to as Mouth's to a river.

I do know that a lot of people are fans of the sandbar delta that is located there currently and I am too. However I understand we do have a respect for canon. I thought as stated in the app that either we could submerge the sandbars in their entire form beneath the water or have the sand bars near the entrance stay above water and those in the center of the mouth/bay submerged. If this is not in the interests of the server and the sandbars are to remain in their current form, I do understand even though I may wish otherwise.

IMG_0868.jpeg

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron
I do know that a lot of people are fans of the sandbar delta that is located there currently and I am too. However I understand we do have a respect for canon.

The original terraformers of the Lower Mander stated that the sand bars are there to represent sedimentation from the Mander River

An ocean bay as you are proposing in that area would not make sense because of the sheer amount of outflow from the Mander (a river that flows approximately hundred miles and flows through a region twice the size of France) would create large amounts of sedimentation similar to the Mississippi, Yellow, and Amazon rivers

Line5066_-_Flickr_-_NOAA_Photo_Library.jpg

%C2%A9Elizabeth_Busey_Flowing_Freely_Goose_River.jpg

Mississippi_Delta_Lobes.jpg

As with all river deltas these sand bars and pockets of sedimentation can appear and disappear depending on the amount of water outflow (Which considering a long summer would mean that the Mander's outflow would be lower than say the wetter periods in Autumn and Winter)

Last edited:

Enah

Skinchanger
The original terraformers of the Lower Mander stated that the sand bars are there to represent sedimentation from the Mander River

An ocean bay as you are proposing in that area would not make sense because of the sheer amount of outflow from the Mander (a river that flows approximately hundred miles and flows through a region twice the size of France) would create large amounts of sedimentation similar to the Mississippi, Yellow, and Amazon rivers

Line5066_-_Flickr_-_NOAA_Photo_Library.jpg

%C2%A9Elizabeth_Busey_Flowing_Freely_Goose_River.jpg

Mississippi_Delta_Lobes.jpg

As with all river deltas these sand bars and pockets of sedimentation can appear and disappear depending on the amount of water outflow (Which considering a long summer would mean that the Mander's outflow would be lower than say the wetter periods in Autumn and Winter)
My god i never realized how much more space New Orleans takes compared to Baton Rogue