Completed Project Application- House Langward- Sappertsc

Scubooty

Bookbinder
One thing to consider with your house tests. The area selected could have Close-studding timber as well as white-washed timber. Also you state for the poor to live in all stone houses and the wealthier to live in Timber houses, this actually is the opposite of how medieval villages worked. The wealthier would live in more predominantly stone buildings with the poor only affording daub and wattle timber houses.

Sapper

Playwright
Yeah I agree it a pretty easy style, Studding would work I just didn't think to make several daub and wattle houses, This style is the common style in the crownlands, thanks for the fb scub

DutchGuard

Shadowbinder
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Yeah I agree it a pretty easy style, Studding would work I just didn't think to make several daub and wattle houses, This style is the common style in the crownlands, thanks for the fb scub

Scub is referring to this map, by Emote, which specifies Langward as having both close-studding and whitewashed timber framing. This is a unique position to be in so I would make full use of it. I would like to see tests using these blocks.

Reactions: Sapper

IronGentleGiant

Playwright
Antony and I did some research on Langward before and what specialties their house could offer. The coat of arms for House Langward is 21 White Stars on Burgundy above Black water. The white stars seem to be reminiscent of the shine that pearls sometimes make. Pearls are found in both oysters and mussels, but due to the warp location of Langward, they’re prolly oysters (saltwater). Unless the warp location has moved near a river. My thoughts are that the Langward’s are wealthy or once wealthy pearl farmers. They made their wealth off of pearl farming and hunting in the Blackwater Bay and the Rush. They might supply pearls to jewelers in Kingslanding or even own a few jeweler stores there. (I think Margaery Tyrell even had a pearl necklace that came from Kingslanding, unless I’m mistaken).
The Langward’s prolly know a few very good cooking recipes for oysters and mussels.

Sapper

Playwright
hey um its been a week since I submitted my app, Idk how this works and I Certainty do not want to be rude in any way, I want to get started on Langward so bump I guess.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey sapp,

Thanks for being patient, I just got a chance to look through the app, and it seems nicely researched. I think the low-level planning of the fields will still need a little bit of work to fit together a bit more naturally, but I think that can be reconsidered in the building stage; the overall map looks good.

Since you're making one or both hamlets dedicated to oyster farming, I'd like to see a bit more research and a test for how you're going to depict that industry. I've been to some modern oyster farms, so could help if you're stuck, but I'd like you to try your hand at researching how it was done in medieval times and trying to portray it yourself first.

Reactions: Luk

Sapper

Playwright
Thank you, I wasn’t planning on having a full hamlet dedicated to oysters, there would be the main town and one hamlet dedicated to fishing and mabey some oysters. I will do some test and research thanks for the tip , but does this mean I can start or? I was hoping to do some terra before I go back to online school?

Edit: I don’t mean to be pushy or anything sorry it’s coming off that way, I’m just on break and have a lot of free time

Last edited:

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
I like the idea of having some oyster farms along the coast, it'll help you make the project more immersive than just generic fishing villages.

You need to have 2 mod approvals before starting a project. I'll approve once you flesh out the oyster farm idea a little more as I mentioned in the previous post.

Sapper

Playwright
The oyster fishers would go out into the sea on ships, The diver’s equipment was basic, a loin cloth, nose clip of wood and a leather sheath to hold the oysters.
The diver descended with two ropes: one attached to a net for collecting the oysters the second attached to a stone weighing five to seven kilograms to speed up descent. They would free dive and collect oysters.
2000 oyster shells need to be opened before finding a single beautiful pearl.
So on the docs of a small village there would be ships brining crates or nets of oysters into a outdoor working place on the docs, they would empty the oysters and cut them open the ones that didn't have pearls in them they would trade, export, toss away, eat, or sell to other places, the ones with pearls would set on a table where the pearl was carved out and set in a large container of water to clean off, then the pearls would be given to jewlers to make jewelers then would be shipped off for trade.

There was no Oyster farms per say in this area, they would hut them then clean them off in a outdoor working place and then given to jewelers or blacksmiths

the picture is a example, it would be under a roof like with open sides, some nets with oysters in it that are collected and hunted then they are cut open, non pearl oysters go into a separate bucket to be traded, and the pearls are cut away places in water, cleaned, then placed in different buckets and exported

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 12.50.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 12.50.08 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
We talked about this in-game. Just reiterating, I think your description and tests sound good, though they probably wouldn't free-dive in Blackwater Bay (this is indeed a very old form of pearl harvesting, but seemed to be more prevalent in warm climates), and would probably rely on aquaculture and net harvesting instead. As long as you make it immersive and clearly portray the industry I'm happy.

I approve, but on the condition that you show me your plotting of fields, hamlets, etc. before terraforming them or opening them for building (when you get to that point). You'll need another mod approval as well before starting.

Sapper

Playwright
I’m going to bump again I just need another mod to approve sorry if I’m being annoying I am on break and have a lot of time I could use for langward, happy New Years!

Sapper

Playwright
Two minis u can apply for
Hamlet/village warp lwvillage
Hunting cabin

feel free to ask and apply

Last edited:

Vickon_Greyjoy

Bard
hey sapper i would like to apply to the hunting cabin. i'm going to start making a plan for it and show it to you as fast as possible.

Sapper

Playwright
Okay I’m building the forest last, so after some tests and approval build the lodge and the yard and stuff and I’ll place treees around it, the warp is lwlodge

Jakethesnake8_8

Firemage
Pronouns
he/him
i recommend finishing the terrain the forest is on first. i mentioned this yesterday, there’s a weird abrupt height change from unforested to forested terrain.