Completed Project Application: House Frost by Scubooty

thecoddfish

Emissary
Staff member
Hey Scubooty, nice app there! Some feedback for you to work through.

• I really like the ruined castle - excellent stuff! I think the darker gradient would work nicely. I presume you're going to add some vegetation to the final product too, as in the tests?
  • I'm not really a fan of any of the house tests so far, especially the ones with the flared/ruined bases. They just feel a bit clunky and awkward. I would maybe go back to the drawing board with them, perhaps look at some real-life inspiration and some newer northern projects (White Harbour sprawl, the Rills immersion project).
  • Could we get a more in-depth map of the region, especially your farmland plans? Would be nice to see those fleshed out some more, including how they connect to neighbouring projects.

Scubooty

Bookbinder
Of course I will add more details once its been put in its correct placement, I wanted them to be pretty bare and void of any elements that aren't man made during the testing. As for the houses they were directly inspired by Johan's at Queensgate (I Got a few other ideas). About mapping I will gladly give a more detailed map.
Thanks Codd!

Attachments

• House Frost V2.png
    House Frost V2.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 50

JohanKR850

Royal Messenger
I agree with Codd on the houses. The houses at Hoarfrost (not queensgate) were meant to be more primitive, due to the location so far north and bordering mountain clan territory. The slab blocks on the roofs are only there because the snow would look odd without them, so you wouldn't need them. The "old stone foundations" are just an extra layer of isolation for wooden houses. I suggest you make separate ruined hamlets or houses if you want indicate abandoned settlements.

Reactions: Scubooty

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
I like your new house test! The one thing I just want to make sure we don't run into issues with is the extent of your planning with fields and what not. The map you gave right now generally looks like a bunch of separate isolated areas without much thought about how they're gonna be connected. For one, the farmland should probably be extended a bit, even though there aren't many people. Maybe there were more farmers living in the area 100 years ago. Maybe the farms that they tended have now gone wild, so there are fields that are actively tended by the people still living there and fields that aren't. This is the kind of storytelling we like you to think about when applying for projects.

Scubooty

Bookbinder
I like your new house test! The one thing I just want to make sure we don't run into issues with is the extent of your planning with fields and what not. The map you gave right now generally looks like a bunch of separate isolated areas without much thought about how they're gonna be connected. For one, the farmland should probably be extended a bit, even though there aren't many people. Maybe there were more farmers living in the area 100 years ago. Maybe the farms that they tended have now gone wild, so there are fields that are actively tended by the people still living there and fields that aren't. This is the kind of storytelling we like you to think about when applying for projects.
Totally understand and I know I haven't completely shown boundaries for my land but I plan on filling those gaps with things like forests and fields. Thank you for bringing that up Lem.

Reactions: lemonbear
Hey
The houses Codd made look great. It's always easier to layout fields and other terrain features in-game after you plotted the buildings and roads. There is also nothing wrong with having empty plains as long as you make them look good. It's not a big project, so I'm quite confident that we'll be able to work something interesting out. Approved by me.

Scubooty

Bookbinder
Hey just a random thought, what about adding some camp style housing around the ruined HF or keep. Maybe belonging to wildlings which have already fled from beyond the wall or just very poor peasants/travelers?
Hey Alec, thanks for saying this I actually have been pondering that same idea lately and I may add something like that North of the ringfort. Currently I have on the map that a Hunters Camp will be up there but I may switch it to some Wildlings.

thecoddfish

Emissary
Staff member
I think generally in the north people are much more frugal so a ruined building wouldn't go to waste.
Debatable - the north is a huge and spread out region, so there's no guarantees that there would even be enough people nearby to utilise a ruined building. I'm also not as big a fan of the idea of yet another camp within a ruin - we've done that trope to death at nearly every other project, so maybe a nice and desolate ruin might be a nice change.

Scubooty

Bookbinder
Yeah I myself like the idea of reusing structures but I really want this region to be so desolate and empty that it is haunting to explore. That being said some creepy Wildling stuff might fit.

Reactions: thecoddfish

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
The Starks were ruthless, hardfaced killers in the past, so it makes sense.

Also, I do have some ideas for the snow transition zone that I could share with you

Scubooty

Bookbinder
So its been quite a while and I am working on Frost here and there I just have a few things I could use help with. The Cliffs have quickly become an area of endless Stress as I struggle to work with them. Also I would like it if either of my two Approving Mods or some other experienced Terrain people could take a fly through the area and give me some feedback. If anyone knows how to make good cliffs I could use the help.

Reactions: Endymion