Withdrawn Project Application: House Dunn by Zsomiking

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
Zsomiking,

Your app looks pretty decent, but unfortunately it's missing a very significant piece of canon, namely that Dunstonbury was originally the seat of House Manderly and later House Peake.

From A Wiki of Ice and Fire:
Dunstonbury was once a castle of House Manderly when they lived along the Mander in the Kingdom of the Reach. When the Manderlys fled the Reach a thousand years before the War of Conquest, Dunstonbury passed to their rivals, House Peake. Exiled in the North, the Manderlys built the New Keep at White Harbor to reflect Dunstonbury.

House Manderly was an ancient and extremely powerful noble house in the Reach before being exiled to the North, and Peake was also extremely powerful at its peak (pun intended), as it was in possession of three castles. Additionally, it is said that the New Keep in White Harbor "reflect Dunstonbury." As such, it only makes sense that Dunstonbury would look a lot like New Keep, albeit maybe a bit less refined or grand. I'm fine with it being the current seat of House Dunn, but I want the castle to look like it's been passed through the hands of the Manderlys and the Peakes and seen some time. If House Dunn is a small house as you say, maybe it could be grand but in disrepair.

Zso

Poet
Dont ask me how but unfortunately i missed a very important canonical info... I fell into the guilt of confidence and didnt remember the connection between Dunstonbury and House manderly... now a very important part ofth application needs to be rethinked, i am terribly sorry.

Please forgive me!

Reactions: CashBanks

Zso

Poet
I completely understand it and thank you for your feedback, and again I would like tho ask for forgiveness...

I have read all books like 5 times but location names are also translated to my mother language, thats why Dunstonbury was not familiar with me and I tought I did all research I could.

I hope this castle I built can be used for a smaller project like Duck said.

Reactions: phondi

Zso

Poet
I have tought so hard on this, and I came to think the best decision would be to convert this application to House Cupps, thank you Duck for the idea!

The only known member of House Cupps is the husband of one of Lord Hightower's daughters so it could be a wealthy house, so in my opinion the castle would fit with minor changes.
The location of the seat of House Cupps is unknown, so I would appreciate suggestions...

Reactions: thecoddfish

Zso

Poet
Hey Des, thanks for the remark!
You're 100% right, I accept the fact that this castle would be too big and expensive to maintain for such a declining bloodline.

I would really appreciate ideas and suggestions where this castle would be welcomed. If nowhere, well at least it was fun and good practice to build it :) .

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron
Dustonbury *as a castle* has to be very close in appearance to New Castle at White Harbor since the Manderlys made New Castle to echo Dustonbury. Since the Dustonbury lands were probably reduced and seized since the fall of the Manderlys and Peakes, there is likely not enough wealth to maintain the entire thing in its full glory and would like have a feeling of "decaying grandeur"

It'll be a difficult-ish project since it should be similar enough to New Castle, but reflect the history it has gone through

thecoddfish

Emissary
Staff member
Hei zsomiking, I don't think they are so wealth, I think its one of declining noble families and Leyla's dowry saved them as Mormonts, married out of love. Because house Hightower is charity in asoiaf, Tyrells fight - army of 20 000 men is ready, Redwynes, Rowans, Tarly need good wedding - Hightowers have heir, a house has debts - Hightowers help.

I think you're making inferences where they aren't particularly helpful or necessary. We have next to no information on House Cupps, and the link you're making between House Hightower and the relative wealth of House Cupps is very, very tenuous. I don't think it's fair to use your opinion to further limit what projects this castle could be used for.

Frenci_George

Bard
I don't know if this project is still active, and I don't know if it's appropriate for me to be involved in the discussion when I'm not even a full builder yet, but I was bored at school, so I tried to make a sketch and a simple map based on what you were writing. Make the castle look like a new castle and look majestic. I did the sketches to show my idea of the layout of the castle at the height of its fame. That is, shortly before the conquest of the castle by House Peak.

Attachments

• Dn 01-1.jpg
    Dn 01-1.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 57
  • dn 01-1.NP-1.jpg
    dn 01-1.NP-1.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 57
  • Dn 01-2.jpg
    Dn 01-2.jpg
    619.1 KB · Views: 58

Opaco123

Poet
I always thought Château de Montsoreau was perfect for Dunstonbury. On the river bank and the square towers mimic the donjon at New Castle. Also I don't think it should be nearly as big as the New Castle since a lot of the Manderly's wealth comes from White Harbor, and controlling a city would bring in more wealth than even a fief in the central Reach. Probably something closer to Holyhall.

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Probably more like white grove than holy hall. The Manderlys where a power that capable of threatening the Gardener kings, if indirectly.
They would have had a powerful seat and it was truly a boast to possess it. While not the scale of Frenci's brilliant map, something large and worthy of such a once powerful house would be good.
Also it almost certainly was maintained and expanded by the Peakes as the riverine lands would be much more profitable than their original holdings in the Marches so would have new elements unlike the Newcastle.

F

FD001__

I don't know if this project is still active, and I don't know if it's appropriate for me to be involved in the discussion when I'm not even a full builder yet, but I was bored at school, so I tried to make a sketch and a simple map based on what you were writing. Make the castle look like a new castle and look majestic. I did the sketches to show my idea of the layout of the castle at the height of its fame. That is, shortly before the conquest of the castle by House Peak.
Did you draw directly on your monitor? 0_o

Frenci_George

Bard
I always thought Château de Montsoreau was perfect for Dunstonbury. On the river bank and the square towers mimic the donjon at New Castle. Also I don't think it should be nearly as big as the New Castle since a lot of the Manderly's wealth comes from White Harbor, and controlling a city would bring in more wealth than even a fief in the central Reach. Probably something closer to Holyhall.

I think it would be better Chaºteau de Pierrefonds, a castle that looks more like the predecessor of New Castle with round towers than Montsoreau with square towers.
Visiting Merlin's Fairytale Chateau de Pierrefonds in France - Travel  HerStory

Reactions: Jakethesnake8_8

Ric

Ser
Staff member
I just want to ask if anyone is still working on the project or just lying here unfinished but not abandoned?
The project has not been started. This thread was an application that has since been dropped. In other words, Dustonbury is open for applications.