Profilman Builder Application

Profilman

Mummer
16 soon to be 17

Sweden

I heard about the server in a YouTube video a few years back although I cannot remember the name of the video nor the YouTuber.

Lord of the rings, Game of thrones, Eragon.

All of the above

All of the above

My favorite character is Tyrion Lannister due to his character and traits, his relations with his brother and sister(Which I personally find quite interesting) and the situation regarding his loyalty towards Daenerys in Season 8.
(Let's just forget Season 7 Tyrion)

Due to past experience as build leader on other servers I can manage some building projects once I get used to the buildingstyle, the blocks, etc.

I'd like to build on Westeroscraft as not only to contribute to finishing the amazing world Westeros but also to further my own building skills and work beyond Vanilla minecraft.

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW

Approved by thecoddfish on May 21, 2019.

Last edited by a moderator:

thecoddfish

Emissary
Staff member
Hey Profilman, thank you for applying with us. You're off to a really good start! For the record, next time can you take your pictures during the daytime? It can be quite hard to see things in a night-time screenshot.

Things I like:
- Pretty good interiors (especially the attic and bottom floor)
- Great rafters in the attic
- Good daub and wattle patterning
- Great yard! I can see it fitting right into Fairmarket

Things that need improvement:
- The single wall made of sandstone is a bit odd, and also too plain - ideally mix the sandstone in with a similar colour block (example below is dark monochrome sandstone and dark vivid sandstone)
- Too many bookcases/scrolls in the house. Remember the literacy rate in Westeros is very low, and that being literate didn't mean that you were going to own an entire bookcase. As a rule of thumb, save them for the nobility or occasional high class
- Make sure you cover the unused sides of cabinets, crafting tables and bookcases with either another block or a halfdoor (example below)
vJ1LtfO.png

- The base is too skinny for the upper house. I think you see it best in the photo below where it goes from 5 wide at the base to 9 blocks at the top. I think part of it is the skewed perspective of your screenshots (not sure what's happening there) but it seems excessive regardless
YNMgYJT.png

There are other things you could improve on, but some of these you'll learn with time checking things out on the server. Your challenge is to build a house in the style of /warp BandallonTown. My advice is to find 5 houses you like in Bandallon Town and take photos of them, then go into singleplayer and use them as a reference to make one of your own. Focus particularly on creating logical, class appropriate interiors (make it a low/middle class blacksmith) and putting the house in the context of the environment with a veggie garden, weeds/vines and a road outside the house.

Good luck!

Reactions: nubcaker

thecoddfish

Emissary
Staff member
Hey Profil, great job!

Things I like:
- Great yard
- Solid exteriors (exceptional use of vines)
- Very good smithy

Things that need improvement:
- The semi-attic area with the beds is weird. It shouldn't be irregularly shaped and it doesn't appear to have any supports - how would it stay up irl?

You're doing really well, and I think you show a lot of promise as a builder. For your next challenge, I would like you to build a two storey house in the style of Silverhill. I want you to focus on making a good stone mix, creating an aesthetically pleasing exterior and nice rafters.

Good luck!

thecoddfish

Emissary
Staff member
Hey Profilman, I actually really like what you've done! You've done a really good job with the exteriors and the interiors have a great low-medieval vibe to them.

My only concern would be the floating fish/herb blocks (such as in the below screenshot), where they should instead be supported from above by a rope block or directly on the ceiling rather than hanging in space. Perhaps the spruce doors contrast a bit much with the birch wood, and you could have instead used oak, but that's not a big deal.
Edit: Also in the below screenshot, don't mix dark and light thatch!
MciNG4w.png

Overall I'm satisfied that you would meet the standards of the server, and I am happy to approve your application! The next step is to contact a mod in-game to promote you to New Builder. Please make sure to read the New Builder guide here: http://westeroscraft.wikia.com/wiki/Newbie_guide
And also make a probation thread in the probation forum. You can start building at any open locations on the server - you can find these at /warp build, although it's sometimes outdated, so I would also recommend just asking people in-game and checking the forums for recent project happenings.

A probation leader should post on your thread within a week or so and continue to give you constructive feedback on your houses for the next month (though they can be quite busy in real life, so don't shy away from asking other builders and mods for feedback either!)

I look forward to building with you - welcome to the team!