Completed Probation: Razordawn

Antony

Printmaker
Hey Razordawn, I'll be your probation leader for this month.

I'll provide the feedback for each one of the houses you'll make, if needs be.

Remember you must build at least, 5 different houses in 5 different locations in this month.
Also, do provide a warp for every house, so that I can find them, in case you aren't here to show me.

Wish you happy building:D

Razordawn

Bard
You saw this first one in game already but still posting here for consistency/ease of finding:
coords: 2536/44/14965
nearest warp: /warp peachville

Antony

Printmaker
Ok, so here's my feedback for the house:
Regarding the exterior:
1) I think the thatch roof overhangs, need a bit more work, as they feel, bit too messy. There are some good examples of such a roof around, do check them out before doing anything.
2) Use a bit more jungle wood on the walls, it gives variation on the gradient, makes the house feel less monotonous and also gives the house an older feel.
3) Add a door, on the door that leads to the yard.
Though in my opinion, the doorway altogether, isnt really needed, as its easily accesible through the yard "gate".

Regarding the interiors:
1) Again a bit more jungle wood on the rafters, for the reasons mentioned before.
2) Remove the big cabinet (idk how its called) on the eastern wall. The family leaving there is poor, so they wouldn't, most likely, be able to afford such a big piece of furniture. Generaly such a house, should be simple.
3) Remove that lone shelf on the wall, feels quite out of place, and weird standing alone there.
4) Remove the kicthen bench, next to the table, as it feels a bit outdated, and instead make a standalone kitchen bench.
5) Make the bed area smaller, as it quite too big.
You could have the shelf above the bed, and maybe put a basket or two.
6) Remove the piston table, which also looks outdated, standing on its own on the wall, also it is a bit unecessary, as u have a table already.
7) dont put thatch on the floor like that, use it in bigger patches, think it like a carpet somewhat.
8)Dont use stools/chairs position is also a bit weird, what u could do, is make it look like the chair is placed with the table, I dont know how to explain it further... my use of english is really poor, I must say.
(Though, to be clear I wouldnt use a stool alltogether, as it feels a bit too expensive in a poor household, so I'd use a simple wooden chair.
9) Put the firepit on another spot, as it takes quite a bit of space.
10) Candles on crates, is also quite an outdated practise, so do refrain from using that as well.

I know its quite a list.
Anyways, should be easy to fix those, and when you do I'd be happy to approve the house, and move on. :D

Reactions: Razordawn

Razordawn

Bard
Thanks for the feedback! I've updated the house now, although I'm still not good with thatch overhang stuff. Moving the firepit made a vertical smokehole chute thing hard to fit in so i switched from hipped to gable roof.

Reactions: Antony

Razordawn

Bard
The second one took a sec - the outside is pretty much the same as you saw but I went through 2 interior variations
Approximate coords: 5249 74 23442
Closest warp: TorMine1

Antony

Printmaker
Ok, so house generaly looks good.
But,
I think when saying weaver means basket weaver, as a loom would be quite expensive to ascquire and making textiles is quite a hard job, ussualy made by people of higher standing than the low class poor farmer. So I think that its a basket weaver, so ofc make the house fit accordingly to the profession.
(Tho to be on the safe side, do ask Marg what she meant with weaver before proceeding)

Also make the chimney one block lower.
Thats more or less my feedback, fix that, and ur good to go! :D
(Edit: Ok, I asked Marg myself. The weaver is for textiles. But theres no need for the loom, theres a complex with several, right next door, so remove it, and try to fill up the space, some other way)

Last edited:

Razordawn

Bard
Sorry for not being around for these few days, minor life stuff piled up really suddenly. Thanks for clearing up the weaver dilemma with Marg though, I've now updated the inside and shortened the chimney.

Antony

Printmaker
Ok, the house looks good, the clothes drying inside is a no no tho. I mean it is Dorne, it would be much hotter outside to have the clothes drying than inside, also the water falling, wouldnt be a good choice to have on the floor inside.

So remove that, put something in its place just to fill it up a bit, and I'll approve.

Razordawn

Bard
Ok I should be mostly out of the annoying rl stuff so hopefully the other plots will go at least a bit quicker lol. Here's the kl one:
Closest warp:/warp kl23b
Coords: 4046 78 -870

Antony

Printmaker
Ok, so I checked the house and it is overall good, but I have one issue with the cellars vaulted ceiling, and its entrance.
So, my issue can be summarised by this picture basicaly:
Στιγμιότυπο 2021-04-10, 9.17.12 πμ.png
As you can see there is no support of the vault at this part, which is I dare say, crucial to the structural integrity of the rest of the house, and the stone floor above.
So what I'd suggest four possible courses of action:
1) Like the shitty doodling I did on the pic, use stairs to make another arch so as to hold up the vaults and floor. Of course, because the cellar wouldn't be then accessible you would need to move the stone stair itself a couple blocks back, destroying the stuff, you have placed on the floor above (I mean that shelf thing with the carrot crate, not everything of course) so as to give more space to the stair, so that it then one block back, making the cellar accessible.
2) Remove that basket with grain, and the sack next to it, and maybe place them at another spot, so that u can make a doorway there, that would, of course need again to move the stair so as to make the door accessible. (Thats kinda inevitable for the first two)
3) Remove the stone altogether except the arches on the other wall, I mean the ones on the wall, opposite to me, with the door leading to that small courtyard/alley or whatever it is, so that u can keep the stone bricks infront of the fireplace, and then avoiding a fire hazard, and making the floor and ceilings wooden, with rafters and all. The stone stair stays as it is, and there is no need for vaults, and arches, opening up a bit of space, since the rafters would support themselves.
4) This one is a bit of a blend of all of them together. So keep the arches, but remove the stone floor above, and make it wood, and having like the arches support the wooden rafters above. This would again involve moving the stone stair, and also the making of an arch in the point I've pointed or a doorway.

Myself, I would prefer the third possibility, because arches and vaults would be a bit too expensive, and would require some maintenance, something that the poor people living there, certainly couldn't afford, making wood a more cheap and viable option.

So fix that, and I'd say you're good to go! :D

PS
(Do fix up the floor of the cellar in a more patchy way. Like keep the dirt and gravel, but also add a bit more Stormlands cobble along with the present darker variant, mostly on corners, but don't overdo it)

Reactions: DutchGuard

Razordawn

Bard
The cursed basement has been successfully un-cursed among other things. A new plot has been begun:
Nearest warp: /warp cobb
Coords: 2885/39/15301

Antony

Printmaker
We checked the house at Cobb, and fixed everything in-game, so it's approved by me.
Happy building with the next one! :D

Razordawn

Bard
Totally forgot to add the last one to the thread lmao
Coords: 3133 44 728
/warp kl25
For the 'bigger stuff storage' in the yard I couldn't really figure out any particularly big storage stuff options, so my idea was some tables and chairs as if the trader's gotten a shipment of import furniture to resell.