Probation: DylanLovesYouJP

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Dylan, I checked out the next batch of houses (5-15). Everything is looking good overall! Here's a few of the comments I have:

House 7:
- The fire pit is in a bit of an inconvenient/dangerous location; you have some wiggle room in the wall you might want to take advantage of (i.e. make a little space to the side for the fire). If you need to cover up anything you can use the snow banks outside the house to do so.

House 8:
- The brick & wattle pattern on the front & back is a little bit too checkerboard-ey

House 9:
- The damage/lumpyness in the wood roof is a bit overdone; usually we only do that for thatch rooves. There does seem to be another wood roof house in the hamlet which has some slight roof damage, but you should make yours mostly neat.

House 14:
- I'd try the gable-less overhang style for this house, the roof seems a bit top heavy otherwise.
- The interior looks good! You seem to have the process down as far as I can tell. You should use rafters though to fill in the empty space in the top half. A tastefully placed cobweb or something is the cherry on top.

Keep up the good work!

DylanLovesYouJP

Faith Militant
Hey, Emote!
As always thank you for the feedback! I've warped around making the changes you suggested, all of which I totally agree with. House 7 feels much better with the moved fire pit, and houses 8 and 9 are far more visually appealing now that the roof and daub and wattle patterns are fixed.

I'm about to move on to house 14, but I was a little puzzled by how I should build the rafters. The house has a diagonal shift in it and I'm finding building rafters that look decent and somewhat realistic a bit of a challenge. Do you have any advice for this style of rafter?

Reactions: Emoticone11

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
The house has a diagonal shift in it and I'm finding building rafters that look decent and somewhat realistic a bit of a challenge. Do you have any advice for this style of rafter?

Yeah, that's a tough one. I've had some trouble getting it to look nice as well. It's probably best if I help you in-game next time I see you on.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
I've been slightly busy the last couple days, but usually I'm online in the evenings (EST) or earlier on the weekends.

DylanLovesYouJP

Faith Militant
Hey Emote!

My activity on the server has been fairly low recently, all down to me starting to take on more hours in work and attending university lectures.

Unfortunately the next few weeks are going to be a period of adjustment for me as I try to figure out a healthy balance between work, education and leisure.

I’m still really excited about completing my probation and contributing to some bigger projects in the future; I just felt like I should give you a heads up. :)

Reactions: an_escaped_duck

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
No worries! I know very well what it's like to balance uni and recreation :)

Your probation is pretty much up though in a couple days, and you're well over the 5 houses so I'll promote you to full builder soon enough.