Completed Probation: CryogenicFreeze

otty

Sorcerer
Pronouns
she/her
Hey Cryo! Welcome to the team. I'll be your probation leader.

I hope all of your time here has been spent well thus far. I'll be looking over your four homes soon.
In regards to expectations I do have some personal guidelines I'd like for you to follow.
  • I may not go through every home. I may skip some. However, in general feedback should be applied everywhere. Once some changes are given to you please apply what you can to houses not yet reviewed.
  • I do look for feedback adherence. A little heads up example is yards, if the home will have a yard please make it lush with small veggies and other useful crops. This is because yards are tended to in order to feed families. This isn't applicable to just one house, so please make sure I see this feedback applied in all to ensure what I'm communicating is coming through :)
  • Please try a variety of homes, please do not build homes solely in one project, variety gives me a better idea of your skill. Plus, its way more fun and you may find a new region you love!
  • Please don't build a ton of homes at once back to back. Break it out into a few at a time to ensure mistakes aren't repeated.
  • Make friends, those who stick around stay around longer because of their friendships on the server. Many-a-newbuild have joined this past month, they're great people to meet. I made a friend 6 years ago during my probation, that really helped cement my experience.
  • Ask others for feedback! I'm one perspective, and to be fair, an old one at that, ask around for more critique to hear others thoughts, this will also help introduce you do others in the community.
  • I ask questions during feedback, I do not mean to sound condescending when asking these questions. I do so to create a train of thought, and to ensure you are asking yourself these questions as you work.
  • I will try my best to highlight my opinions vs logical and server standards critiques. I still would prefer you listen to my opinions just to show how you apply the feedback, but at the end of the month can disregard them if you think they're stupid.
  • Remember a home approved by me is not a approved home by a project lead. Please continue to check back for feedback. Also remember a home approved by a project lead is not approved by me for probation.
  • 5 homes is the bare minimum for approval, I encourage more and may ask for more.
We can apply feedback in a variety of ways. There are two options.

We are both in America I see, my timezone is CST. We can do one on one in game feedback. This allows a discussion to be had, and for questions you may have to occur.
OR
We do the classic melon and forum post. As you've may have learned melons are often provided in terms of feedback. I can go through your homes and leave them along with a forum post discussing them.

Again welcome to the team, can't wait to work alongside you!

Reactions: FD001__

cryogenicfreeze

Bard
Pronouns
he/him
Hey Otty, thanks for taking the time to look over my builds! I hope I didn't do too many too fast.
I stuck with small houses to start off with so I could get a feel for how the server functions without taking on too much.
I do enjoy doing the melon feedback as I build quite slow, but if we're online at the same time I'm sure I'll have questions.

I look forward to seeing what you have to say about what I've built so far and how I can improve.

otty

Sorcerer
Pronouns
she/her
Feedback has been given for houses 1-4 in the format of melons

For the most part, I only have a few issues. I mostly need you to push thinking logically about what you do. Don't just build to look pretty, build thinking about the materials you're using, how they would weather, how much money the family would have, and how would they feed themselves.

Also some cleaning up of gradients and some minor style refinements were suggested.

However, for four homes and as few melons I've left you've done excellent, good work. I want to push you to find a unique and challenging home for your next build. These all feel safe at the moment, I want to see what you can really bring >:D

Reactions: FD001__

otty

Sorcerer
Pronouns
she/her
Hoi Cryo,

As noted the other day in DM's I feel quite confident with your progress thus far especially now you're pushing yourself. I have left you with a conditional approval which is that you continue posting your work and I will review one (maybe two) of them before your month is over to ensure they "hold-up." :D

Just as a written mention for things that were your weakness.
>Historical Logic. Push yourself to think in the minds of peasants and do research on what their homes were like, what they may or may not have access too. At the end of the day you should be able to justify your decisions with some basis in era/reality.
>Pushing the style guide, obviously use it as a guide, but some small things can be pushed, such as detailing, interiors. Its up to us as builders to find ways to make things feel cohesive but also not feel copy pasted. Let the project lead decide if it should or shouldn't be done.

If you have anything you need to learn or want to learn, let me know. I am a resource and if Im not the resource I will likely know who is. This also does not end at probation, I am willing to do what I can to help anytime.

Last edited:

otty

Sorcerer
Pronouns
she/her
Hoi Cryo,

As noted the other day in DM's I feel quite confident with your progress thus far especially now you're pushing yourself. I have left you with a conditional approval which is that you continue posting your work and I will review one (maybe two) of them before your month is over to ensure they "hold-up." :D

Just as a written mention for things that were your weakness.
>Historical Logic. Push yourself to think in the minds of peasants and do research on what their homes were like, what they may or may not have access too. At the end of the day you should be able to justify your decisions with some basis in era/reality.
>Pushing the style guide, obviously use it as a guide, but some small things can be pushed, such as detailing, interiors. Its up to us as builders to find ways to make things feel cohesive but also not feel copy pasted. Let the project lead decide if it should or shouldn't be done.

If you have anything you need to learn or want to learn, let me know. I am a resource and if Im not the resource I will likely know who is. This also does not end at probation, I am willing to do what I can to help anytime.
The conditional approval was meant to state that I feel confident I no longer need to look at your homes for the remainder of the month except the one I will review at the end. This was not an official approval. You have until 13th to stick with the [N].

Last edited:

cryogenicfreeze

Bard
Pronouns
he/him
just to clarify I didn't ask to be promoted, it turned out to be an error with my title. I don't have full builder perms, the [N] is just gone for some reason

otty

Sorcerer
Pronouns
she/her
Yup house 10 and 11 reviewed, on Sept 13th you may ask a mod to remove the [N] on that day.

I always leave my probies with the same note:

Don't rush into your first project. They take time and planning and many spreed run through their 2 mini's and onto their first out of excitement. Take time working your way up to it. We have many more project sizes now than before, from district leads to immersions that include a decent bit of land there is no need to have a house project right away.

Otherwise, two minis are required, they are offered by project leads and teach you to a bit of plotting, planning, and applying. Special builds are not mini's (some get confused on that :) )

Great work! Really doing solid stuff, and I imagine it'll only go uphill from here. I am excited to see what you'll do with your time here. Again, always happy to help! Good luck!

Last edited: