Pronouns
she/her
Build #3
/warp romsey
x3116 y47 z14844
Type: Middle Class Farmer
Reach

Last edited:
Hello Mayday and welcome to Westeroscraft.

I am Spikespiegel and I will be your probation officer for the coming month or so.

During this month, I would like you to try and complete as many of the following tasks to find your niche:
1) Build in all the following regions:
a) The North
b) The Vale
c) The Riverlands
d) The Crownlands
e) The Stormlands
f) The Westerlands
g) The Reach
h) Dorne
2) Build all the following classes:
a) Low class
b) Middle class
c) High class (if you can't find anywhere open, pick a plot somewhere, copy it to your own plot and build it as though you were making a test for it)
3) Build the following places:
a) In a hamlet
b) In a rural location with animal pens/farms.
c) In a town
4) Make a test for something and have it approved.

When you post your builds here on the forums please post the following information:
Build number.
/warp ****
Coordinates xx/zz (Height doesnt really matter)

The probation period is usually a month, but if I deem you’re not ready I’ll extend the time, don’t be afraid to make mistakes, mistakes are always important regardless if you are a probie or a mod, but, if there’s any better time to make mistakes it’s during probation! And while building you can and should ask for help from other builders, hear their explanations, look at their examples and ways of doing things. But don’t let them build and step in your place, the purpose is not to make state-of-the-art pieces with the highest standard, it’s for you to learn and improve, that only happens if you do it yourself.

I am from the same timezone as you, but as I work evening and night shifts, you may find me unavailable when you are online. You can always send me an ingame message, using /msg Spikespiegel or you can hit me up on our Discord server. My nick there is PolarFox.

Again, welcome to the server. Enjoy your time here and remember to have fun :)

Feedback on house 1 (Willum):
A good first house. I'm not a fan of the shelf on top of the food preparing area. The wattle fences makes so that it's impossible to place and get things on the shelf. You use oak halfdoors to hold up the shelf, which then encloses the kitchen. I would remove the half doors and add some fence gate supports for the shelf. I wouldn't hang game from the shelf, but rather perhaps hang this from the ceiling? Your rafters are good, which is rare for a first build :p
Perhaps add a window on the back side of the house? It feels a bit bare.

Feedback on house 2 (Hornvale):
On the front side of the house, you have a window placed at ground level. This should be avoided, especially for a non-basement level floor. The windows should have at least one block of spacing above the ground. The windows on the back and on the side could be made 2 blocks tall if you'd like. The smoke from your chimney goes straight up. The smoke should follow the wind direction. In Hornvale, the wind blows in from the north west. You can remove the half doors placed behind the ladder. It's fine to have ladders freestanding, supported only at the top. This goes for your Willum build too.
I am a bit unsure what the space at the southwestern corner of your ground floor is for.

Feedback on house 3 (Romsey):
The gradient for the stone foundation is messy. It should have the coarser, darker stone towards the bottom, transitioning to the lighter, finer stones at the top.
In this case, cobble should go towards the bottom and light grey brick towards the top. It doesn't look good when cobblestone and light grey stone touch eachother, so you should always keep riverstone between these.
I don't really get the D&W pattern. Have a look around the settlement and try to mimic what you already see there.
I would raise the entire ground floor by a block. As it is, it looks very cramped on the inside. The room at the back of the upstairs floor looks a bit empty. You also have a weird space you cant really use next to the closet. Try to find a use for this odd corner. Don't put cabinets (or drawer) blocks inside a closet. It would make no sense to open a closet to find another set of cabinet doors inside it.
Again, good work on the rafters.

_Mayday__

Mummer
Pronouns
she/her
Hi! Thanks for your feedback I will get on and fix those as soon as possible! I appreciate the comments on the rafters, as it took a bit to figure out. The pen in the corner of hornvale is for animals, it's a herdsman's home, and I asked for how they would look and someone said add a little pen for sick animals/ young animals and I thought it was a cool thing to add, but if you wish I can remove it and add a little bit of storage for ropes and things if you would prefer that!

_Mayday__

Mummer
Pronouns
she/her
I fixed Willum and Hornvale to your suggestions! Would you take a look at Romsey again? I didn't raise the bottom floor only because by looking at the approved homes of the same standing, they also have short ceilings, and so do the reference builds up on top near the signs. I did remove some of the rafters and replaced them with slabs (the build still has rafters, just more spaced out) to make it look a bit more open. Let me know what you think!

Feedback on build 5 and 6:
The Daub and Wattle (D&W) pattern is more of a mess than a pattern. D&W should have a certain repeating pattern to it. Try and go to /warp kl13 or /warp hgtown and look at the buildings there. You will notice that they all include either some repeating pattern or if it's a gable, a mirrored pattern.
I can see where you were going with the rafters on both builds. We usually make straight rafters going north/south or east/west, even if the building sits at an angle. This is because angled rafters does not look good. On the north side of your Yarn Weaver, you have a window that sits at ground level. I would either remove this window entirely or move it a block up.
Otherwise, it's really nice interiours. Weavers workshops aren't easy to do, so well done.

Reactions: Die Wursttheke

_Mayday__

Mummer
Pronouns
she/her
Hi! I fixed the houses! Including the rafters, and the window! Let me know what you think of the new pattern, I tried to make it more linear but still have a pattern.

Reactions: Die Wursttheke